shock fluid weight

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ridinredneck

shock fluid weight

Post by ridinredneck »

2002 kdx 200. rider is 215 lbs. changing shock fluid and spring. thinking of using 3wt fluid. is that good or would you suggest a different weight of fluid?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: shock fluid weight

Post by bufftester »

With the stock shock that will give you less rebound compression (your shock returns from compressed to uncompressed faster. Short of changing the valve shims internally it's really the only rebound adjustment you can do with the stocker. Thought stock was 5wt, could be wrong. I am running 7wt in my hybrid, but have the benefit of full rebound and compression damping adjusters (KX shock). More important is to get the spring rate correct for your weight. And of course if you haven't done it the front needs to be resprung for your weight. Stock the front is good for those lightweight 160 pound guys, not us substantial mass guys :mrgreen:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Check out the peter verdonne chart for more info, but I have read from several tuners that a great three is about the same as stock 5.

I liked Silkolene RSF Pro 3 back a few years ago.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

shock fluid weight

Post by Gotanubike »

3wt is good for most standard shocks and 7wt is recommended for shocks with high-flow valving modifications. Kawasaki says 5wt in my(e series) manual but you'd probably be ok using a 3wt is that's all you can find.

I could not find 5wt so I went with 7wt in mine and now sorta wishing I got the 3wt but we'll see how it works, I'm just finishing up my shock now
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

i have read that the stock shock is a little stiff. thats why i was thinking 3wt.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Revalve it to your liking.
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

may revalve when funds permit. but for now its just spring and fluid
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If the spring has been far off and the oil is real old, you will be in for a treat!

If you get around to the revalve, try to use thinner shims than the .3's that are on the compression side. It will help.
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

well the stock spring is a 5.0 i believe. race tech suggests a 5.75. i got a great deal on a 6.0 at work so i picked it up. also the previous owner put hydraulic fluid in the shock. i dont even know what the weight was. but i figured the 6.0 spring and some fresh 3wt shock fluid is gonna be great for it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

215 nekkid or 215 with all gear, tools, spares, water backpack, etc.??

I was thinking 5.4. You won't be close on the sag with a 6 Kg/mm rate spring.
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

215 nekkid lol. i have always gone by what race tech suggests and its always been spot on for me. they said 5.75 and i know the 6.0 is a hair stiffer but i believe it will be ok.
adam728
Supporting Member

shock fluid weight

Post by adam728 »

If going in for a fluid change it would be very easy to pull a shim or two off the compression to soften it up.

With such a big jump in spring rate you are not going to want to soften rebound up. Typically when you raise the spring rate you increase rebound damping to compensate.

Fluid weight has only a very small effect on the damping unless doing an extreme change. I like to pick an oil and stick with it thru valving changes. One less variable. As said, Viscosity Index is the most important on a shock (which can run HOT). I eventually settled on running Maxima light (3W) shock oil. It's a good oil, is fairly cheap, and most importantly, is pretty easy to find!

As for using hydraulic fluid - that's all suspension oils are. On Thumpertalk there was some discussions on what some of what hydraulic oil some of the suspension oils actually are. Some tuners on there even admit to buying bulk hydraulic fluid with the properties they see as important and using it in everything with great results.
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

well i must say that the shock is working awesome. static and race sag are good. it works way better and just floats over everything. the bike is just awesome thats all i can say. also got the bottom end lugging power back. put in some boysen 607 reeds and the kips detent ball and spring. the bike simply amazes me. no other way to put it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

That is good. Thanks for the update.