wont lug well

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ridinredneck

wont lug well

Post by ridinredneck »

2002 KDX 200. i have the jetting pretty spot on. runs clean and is very strong. the bike rips. but if i am climbing a hill and the rpm's drop low for any reason it wants to flame out. i have to clutch it a lot. i am running a 13/52 sprocket combo. i should be able to creep up a cliff with this thing. it runs exactly like an mx 2-stroke. rips great but no lugability. the kips ball and spring is missing but i have it on order. it has an FMF Gnarly and powercore combo. i noticed the other day that the reeds are not sealing flat against the cage. there is a very slight gap in each one opposite the screws that hold them down. i plan on checking the P.V. to make sure its clean and closing all the way. anything else i should check while i'm at it?
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Re: wont lug well

Post by TheJackRabbit »

making sure the power valve is in order should do it, sounds like its not closing
also make sure the packing in the exhaust is still good
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Re: wont lug well

Post by Joshmcmillan »

Have you taken off the little circle plug on the left side of the engine with a big flat head screwdriver and got someone to rev the bike in neutral while you observe to see if there is movement?
Also, I think bad reeds can make quite a difference to the bottom end, while still performing flawlessly up top.

13/52 gearing must be great! I run 12/48 (equivalent to 13/51) and I like it :)
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

wont lug well

Post by C George »

ridinredneck wrote:2002 KDX 200. i have the jetting pretty spot on. runs clean and is very strong. the bike rips. but if i am climbing a hill and the rpm's drop low for any reason it wants to flame out. i have to clutch it a lot. i am running a 13/52 sprocket combo. i should be able to creep up a cliff with this thing. it runs exactly like an mx 2-stroke. rips great but no lugability. the kips ball and spring is missing but i have it on order. it has an FMF Gnarly and powercore combo. i noticed the other day that the reeds are not sealing flat against the cage. there is a very slight gap in each one opposite the screws that hold them down. i plan on checking the P.V. to make sure its clean and closing all the way. anything else i should check while i'm at it?

Whats your cylinder compression when up to temp ? PSI ?

The reeds need to sit flat against the cage.
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟