1996 kdx gncc prep

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
kawikeith

1996 kdx gncc prep

Post by kawikeith »

Ok guys. New to the site. Short story on my bike.. I bought it last feb from my neighbor who bought it off ebay for his grandson... it siezed with his grandson and I bought it in boxes for $300. After buying parts and putting it together. I find the "std" piston was actually a 220 piston. It had been bored and re-nickel'd. Now. Its been ported. Fmf exhaust, boyeson reeds, weisco 220 piston.. rode hard all last summer and through the winter. I love the bike.. seems to have the power of a good 250. Also swapped my front end over to a complete kx500 front. So here's where I need advice. I've been getting the gncc itch.. what should I do to better prepare my bike. I'm a bike guy 6'2, 260 pounds. (Working on that too lol). I plan on goin through the topend again before racing.. anything I can do for more power? Any advice for the bike and me would be great! Thanks guys
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1996 kdx gncc prep

Post by bufftester »

Aside from making sure the suspension is right for your weight (which WILL require respringing it if you haven't yet--us big guys are hard on suspensions!) the most bang for your buck will be your own fitness, and lots of riding. As for the power you could look at having the carb and head sent to RB for his magic, but you are mostly there.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

1996 kdx gncc prep

Post by scheckaet »

2nd that on the fitness (that's just about free :wink: ), a well tuned carb (pretty cheap too), suspension, and RB mods.
kawikeith

Post by kawikeith »

Rb? New here somebody elaborate. .. haha. And I road today after letting a guy setup my suspension. First time riding with the 500 forks oh wow.. night and day difference.. soo much better.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

http://www.rb-designs.com/kdx200-220.htm
http://rb-designs.com/kdx-head-mod.htm

Strongly recommended. Really wakes up the KDX. There are many discussions here about his work and the results. Do a search at the top of the page.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Suspension setup will help the most.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Take the sidestand off ! It will hang in ruts and on roots.

You are close to max power, get the suspension dialed in so you can carry speed through the turns.

Plus general race prep: If in doubt, replace it (cables, chain, brake pads, levers). Grease the linkage. Don't wait until the last minute or you may forget something.

Get the good, full wrap handguards, and consider a woods-tall handlebar bend. Or cut stock ones down an inch on each side. Fresh tires for race day. A tall seat is supposed to help as well. I am your size and I find the KDX to be a little small when getting up and down a lot during the race.

Consider running a 200 cc class, so you are only racing similar displacement bikes.

Pre-register online, it's WAY faster. And get ready for traffic. In the GNCC I ran two years ago, there were 400 bikes on a 9 mile course in the am race.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
kawikeith

Post by kawikeith »

The kick stand wasn't on it when I got it lol. And is the rb mod worth it?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Worth every penny .