the ol ball and spring

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ridinredneck

the ol ball and spring

Post by ridinredneck »

wanting to remove the kips spring/ball under the slotted cover and see if i like it that way. my question is, do i remove both the spring and ball or just one of them? and if just one, which one? thanks

in case you need to know, its a 2002 model kdx200
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

the ol ball and spring

Post by scheckaet »

i'd remove both. once the ball is out I don't think they'd be any tension on the spring any longer.
ridinredneck

Re: the ol ball and spring

Post by ridinredneck »

thanks. i was thinking the same thing but wanted to make sure. hope to get a test run in this week
gwynfryn

Post by gwynfryn »

Take it easy tightening it up, the head shears real easy.
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

thanks for the tip gwynfryn
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

What were your thoughts on removing it and letting the kips move easier ?
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

the ol ball and spring

Post by scheckaet »

let the kips activate earlier in the powerband.
ridinredneck

the ol ball and spring

Post by ridinredneck »

i am hoping to do it tomorrow. i will give a report on the difference with and without. stay tuned lol
kawikeith

Post by kawikeith »

Not trying to thread jack.. call me dumb but what is the so called "kips".... and and what exactly does remvoing the ball and spring do?... new to the site. Just trying to learn.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Kawasaki
Integrated
Power-valve
System
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Good intro on KIPS operation here. From everything I've read removing the detent ball and spring will allow the valve to open sooner, but it also becomes more unpredictable. For the stock ignition, with stock exhaust and silencer and a clean motor, there is enough tolerance in the system to allow this to work to a degree (earlier hit at lower RPMs). But as you mod to aftermarket pipes/silencer combos you may develop a flat spot around the 6K range (which is where the CDI retards the ignition timing to 21deg IIRC). WIth all that said, I have never played with it, so am interested to hear your report!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

the ol ball and spring

Post by scheckaet »

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

One would think that will disable the KIPS action entirely? Can the valve just move freely in this case? If so, I'd try to 'tie' it open. Can't see it being of much benefit unless you're wanting a high-rpm screamer, and then would benefit from porting, head work, custom pipe, and magneto.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
ridinredneck

the ol ball and spring

Post by ridinredneck »

well i was going to take it out and see what the difference was BUT it was already gone.lol. so i have no info to give. sorry folks
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

the ol ball and spring

Post by C George »

I took one spacer washer off ours a couple years ago as the manual says higher tension gives a little more
bottom end. Very hard to tell a difference. I'd lean towards the predictability comment myself.
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

since it didnt have the ball and spring in it i am looking for one to try. i took it on a good ride sunday and it rips good but seems to lack a little bottom end on rough, technical hill climbs. i really had to clutch it a lot. never had to even use the clutch on the ktm 200 i had. that thing would lug like nothing i had ever been on. i am hoping the ball and spring along with a spacer on the left kips cover will help with that. it has a gnarly woods pipe and jetting is really good on it. i also put a 13 tooth sprocket back on the front (po had a 14 on) and it has a 50 on the rear. may move to a 52 rear to help even more with low end.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

the ol ball and spring

Post by Tyl3r »

thanks for posting this. I've always kind of thought I knew how those power valves worked... but now I really know :boogie:
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If you're looking for bottom end the power valve isn't going to really do much (unless it's stuck open) The KIPS doesn't open until around 6K. Of course I'm thinking if you're running 13/50 (and considering 13/52) gearing and a woods pipe and still looking for low end I'd have to advise that even KDX's aren't meant for climbing cliffs :lol:
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

bufftester wrote:If you're looking for bottom end the power valve isn't going to really do much (unless it's stuck open) The KIPS doesn't open until around 6K. Of course I'm thinking if you're running 13/50 (and considering 13/52) gearing and a woods pipe and still looking for low end I'd have to advise that even KDX's aren't meant for climbing cliffs :lol:
lol. i dont climb hills that steep. same ones i have climbed on yz250f's, ktm 200, 2 different cr250's and kx250f. never had any trouble with any of those bikes. but i will admit, the rear tire just spins out really bad so i have to back off the throttle. then when i go to get back in it, it just doesnt want to go without clutching a lot. i ordered some different tires, some that have worked really good for me, so that should help too. it has a new rear on it but its a D.O.T kenda trakmaster. it doesn't hook up at all in anything remotely soft. once i start getting some traction and not have to let off the gas so much im sure it will be better.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

if your bike is jetted right you should be able to get up those hill.
A few things come to mind if you're having trouble:
-riding too high in the powerband, tried a gear higher?
if you have much wheel spin, maybe you should get a LOWER rear sprocket. (or higher front). you should be able to ride the same hill using the same gear but at a lower rpm and should get less wheel spin.
-suspension setting off, letting your rear tire jump and down too much = wheel spin = loss of momentum. Do you have the correct spring for your weight (front and back)? when was the last nitrogen charged?
-bad tire?

Hope this make sense.