Will parts from a -92 fit my -95?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
mosnicemos

Post by mosnicemos »

Hi!

I've tried searching the web for answers but haven't had much luck.

I have a kdx200 -95 in good condition, but I stumbled upon an ad with a really cheap kdx 200 -92 with broken ignition system.
My thoughts is to buy this bike to have in case parts breaks on mine. Will most of the parts fit on mine? And if not, what will and will not fit? I guess the carb and the wheels are obvious, but what about the rest?

I would simply go check it out myself, but the bike is kinda far from me so it wouldnt be worth the trip without buying it.

Best regards, Mosnicemos.
sarrant

Re: Will parts from a -92 fit my -95?

Post by sarrant »

I'd aim for a '95-2006 for your parts bike. Many parts from the E series are not directly swappable.
Last edited by sarrant on 04:41 pm Oct 09 2013, edited 1 time in total.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I have a 94 and a 95, very few parts interchange between them. The rear brake, front fender and handle bars will swap for sure, but most of the other parts are of a different design. I wouldn't count on the wheels 100% as the brake rotors are a different PN, even the front brakes are different. Now, if you bought a 95 for parts to put on the E-series, that would be a better way to go...Obviously not for YOU in particular, but for others that may read this. The 95+ (H-series) has better forks (KX forks are an even better swap, but can get pricey), front brakes and other stuff that would go nicely on an E-series.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

6 Riders wrote:I have a 94 and a 95, very few parts interchange between them. The rear brake, front fender and handle bars will swap for sure, but most of the other parts are of a different design. I wouldn't count on the wheels 100% as the brake rotors are a different PN, even the front brakes are different. Now, if you bought a 95 for parts to put on the E-series, that would be a better way to go...Obviously not for YOU in particular, but for others that may read this. The 95+ (H-series) has better forks (KX forks are an even better swap, but can get pricey), front brakes and other stuff that would go nicely on an E-series.
It's really not as simple as that. The front brakes from an H would be an upgrade for a 89-92 E, but the same as a 93/94. The H series forks would be marginally better than 89-92, but the same internals as the USD forks on the 93/94. As mentioned above, there really are not enough interchangeable parts to make purchasing one series as a parts bike for the other series worthwhile.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Julien D wrote: It's really not as simple as that. The front brakes from an H would be an upgrade for a 89-92 E, but the same as a 93/94. The H series forks would be marginally better than 89-92, but the same internals as the USD forks on the 93/94. As mentioned above, there really are not enough interchangeable parts to make purchasing one series as a parts bike for the other series worthwhile.
The 93/94 Front brakes are completely different than either the other year E's and the H, I think they are the same as the KDX 250's. To do the brake swap you also have to do the fork swap as the mounts are different. So yeah, waste of money!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
TYZN

Post by TYZN »

I recently bought an '04 KDX200 with a wrecked gearbox, the governor lever broke off and totally destroyed the bottom end. I had a good bottom end off a '89 KDX200, split both motors and swapped out all the shafts and gears no issues, except the governor lever on the '89 is longer and wont fit the shaft of the '04. They hardly changed the bottom end of the motor on the KDX's from '89 up. Hope that helps a bit.