First KDX, help please!

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
mcpga

First KDX, help please!

Post by mcpga »

Jus tbought an '03 KDX 200 from my 60 year old neighbor. He bought the bike new and shortly after he bought it, he dumped it on its side, he got scared of it and hardly rode it again. He rode it up and down our street every now and again but that's it, the rest of the time its been stored in his heated basement. He said he never once reset the odometer which shows 39.4 miles. Anyway, knowing that I ride dirtbikes he came down and offered to sell it to me at a resonable price so I bought it.

My neighbor never touched anything on the bike so it's completely bone stock. Still has the tits on the original tires. Before I started it I changed the oil, plug, cleaned the air filter, drained the old mix, replaced it with some Golden Spectro mix at the reccomemded 32:1 (only because thats all I had in the garage at the time that I could mix at that ratio) and put Rotella T 15-40 in the case. I plan to run Amsoil Interceptor @ 50:1 like my other bikes, if that's OK to run in these bikes?

The bike started on the first kick, idled decent, but bogged off idle, stumbled and spit a little, just did'nt run very smooth thru the gears. Judging from the bog, the large amount of spooging on the swingarm (fixed that leak) and the smoke cloud it seams to be running extremely rich. Is this typical of the stock set-up? Now I guess its time to clean the carb and start the jetting process. I've done a little reading and plan to start with 155/45 set-up and make a needle adjustment if necessary. I live and ride in VA at approx. 1000', with ride temps between 40-80.

I ride a KTM 2-stroke, but I am not familar with these bike at all... Am I missing anything major here? Do you guys have any suggestions for a KDX noobie!
ukkdx200

First KDX, help please!

Post by ukkdx200 »

Your spot on imho. They come quie rich. Change the needle to clip number 2 and play with the jets. I'm on 155 with 42 pilot. Screw 2.25 turns out and needle in clip 2.

Happy tinkering!
Got any pictures of the nice shiney like new bike
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: First KDX, help please!

Post by diymirage »

once you get that jetting dialed in (and maybe the suspension leveled out) that KTM will start collection dust real soon :lol:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
mcpga

Post by mcpga »

Yes I'm curious to see what this thing will do with leaner jetting, a pipe and more air... Ordered plenty of parts for it today. The suspension will definately need some updating. At 6' - 200lbs. I'm sure heavier springs are in my future.
mcpga

Post by mcpga »

I did get the bog out by turning the fuel/air screw all the way in, but it had no snap! What does that tell you?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

First KDX, help please!

Post by rbates9 »

You may even want to consider a fork swap if you are going to play with the suspension.

If you go thru the jetting guide it will walk you through what you need to do.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

that's another thing to consider, remove the airbox cover and install a pipe and the jetting might be a lot closer already

as for the fork swap, check out the suspension forum to find out the best way to go
I have a 99 KX125 front end on my 96 and that places the bike on pretty much on a level plane with "modern" bikes

mcpga

Post by mcpga »

Took care of the air box last night and ordered a pipe and some jets, and a needle yesterday. I'll start the jetting process after I get the pipe on... I've been reading about the fork swap and that looks like the way to go. I dont see the point in spending a bunch of money trying to update the stock forks. Would KX250 forks have heavier springs than the 125 forks?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

yes

but depending on the year and state of the forks you would want to service them anyway
fork springs can be had for about 80 bucks so if you can get a 125 KX front end for 80 or more less then a 250 it would be worth going with the 125
once you got the front end buy yourself a steering bearing kit and send that along with the triples to ron black and he will swap the stems and install the lower bearing and if needed sell you a spacer...painless

Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

mcpga wrote:Took care of the air box last night and ordered a pipe and some jets, and a needle yesterday. I'll start the jetting process after I get the pipe on... I've been reading about the fork swap and that looks like the way to go. I dont see the point in spending a bunch of money trying to update the stock forks. Would KX250 forks have heavier springs than the 125 forks?
You can modify your stock forks with ebach 41kg springs and the shim stack mod for about $70 if you do it yourself. Look for the springs at ebay, I found mine for $50 shipped. Any way if you want to do the kx mod you will end up spending $500 to $700 if its done the right way.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
mcpga

Post by mcpga »

Suspension components are definately not my area of expertise. I would like to do the work myself if I can, but I'm not familar with the shim stack mod? Can you give me some direction? $70 is a lot better than $700 at my house... Thanks
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

The modification is easy and free!!! Here is the tread: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... ck#p134856
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
mcpga

Post by mcpga »

Ok, took carb off. Here is what I found 160 main, 48 pilot, R1174K needle in the 3rd position. Clean everything and found 2 clogged vent hoses. Modified my air box lid by removing the snorkel and drilling (10) 5/8" holes in it. Dropped the needle 1 position, air screw 1/2 turn out. Still a very little bit of bog off idle if I snap it, but if I roll on the gas just a little slower it runs great. I'm guessing that giving it more air and dropping the needle helped lean it up a little bit because I didn't get nearly as much spooge or smoke today. Extra jets and pipe should be here next week. But, for now I'm happy with the way it runs! Gotta go, heading back to ride more wheelies, man this thing is fun!
mcpga

Post by mcpga »

Finally got my new parts installed. Runs great with 155 main, 42 pilot and 1.5 turns out on air screw. Still slightly rich, but no more bog, snappy throttle response and gets on the pipe quickly. Now running Amsoil Interceptor @ 40:1. MUCH less smoke and spooge with the leaner jetting. Stiffened suspension as much as possible. Time to ride! Thanks everyone for helping me get my bike set-up, your help made the process much quicker... :supz: