H8 black spooge at the pipe...am i screwed?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

So I have a 02 KDX 200H8. I had it since november, rode the poop out of it with no problems for a few months ( I was told it was hardly ridden and never rebuilt). Recently I got a quad and I have been letting people ride along with me on the KDX. After I couple of rides, I noticed black spooge coming out around the ends of the silencer and also it blowing out onto my rear fender. I figured they were riding my bike like a baby, so I took it out a few times after i cleaned it, rode it like normal keeping it revved up and not letting it bog much, and same thing.

I did a little bit of searching around, and my conclusions are this is being caused by bad seals along the exhaust or maybe I need to repack the silencer? Is this true? If so and this is common, Id love to know what I need to replace or fix. If not, what should I look in to to figure out what I need to get it running right? I'm new to two strokes lol.

Thanks for your help!
-Ty
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: H8 black spooge at the pipe...am i screwed?

Post by KDXGarage »

Is it the stock spark arrestor?

Jetting is your answer, most likely.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

My bike is running rich and theres spooge everywhere. Im re-jetting.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

My bike used to not having spooge until recently, checked the spark...indeed it is the weak spark in my case that causes the spooge. change a good used iginition coil and not anymore.
A true KDX customizer!!
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Post by TheJackRabbit »

with warmer weather it may need rejetting, that would explain the rich condition
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Well thanks, that helps a lot. Its got a pro circuit circuit silencer, but there's no telling how long it's been on there. It probably is the the jetting. I figured at first that the black spooge was unburnt oil, which would make sense to me if it was running rich.

Would the weather have that big of an impact on it? I was getting a little worried because when I bought the bike back in November, it wasn't doing this. It only started maybe a month or two ago.

Soon as I have my next few days off of work and I'm not leaving town, I'm gonna familiarize myself with the jetting guide on here and take a whack at it
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Jason wrote:Is it the stock spark arrestor?

+1
a lot of folks believe that spooge is caused by too much oil in the fuel mix. Spooge is caused by rich jetting. When an engine is jetted too rich the combustion chamber temperatures are too low to effectively burn the oil, or even completely burn all of the fuel. The result is spooge and deposits. The spooge is just unburned fuel and oil passing out the exhaust. If you have a spooge problem, you have a jetting problem. You don't get rid of the spooge by reducing the oil, you get rid of it by fixing the jetting. Unfortunately, unless you're running an Air Striker or similar carb, one size does not fit all in the jetting department. I know when I was in the Florida panhandle, my jetting for fall riding was a lot richer than summer when the temps and the humidity both hit triple digits
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

bufftester wrote:
Jason wrote:Is it the stock spark arrestor?

+1
a lot of folks believe that spooge is caused by too much oil in the fuel mix. Spooge is caused by rich jetting. When an engine is jetted too rich the combustion chamber temperatures are too low to effectively burn the oil, or even completely burn all of the fuel. The result is spooge and deposits. The spooge is just unburned fuel and oil passing out the exhaust. If you have a spooge problem, you have a jetting problem. You don't get rid of the spooge by reducing the oil, you get rid of it by fixing the jetting. Unfortunately, unless you're running an Air Striker or similar carb, one size does not fit all in the jetting department. I know when I was in the Florida panhandle, my jetting for fall riding was a lot richer than summer when the temps and the humidity both hit triple digits
amen.
check my sig for jetting how to.
ChrisZx7

Post by ChrisZx7 »

My kx250 is splooging, and so is my kx80. Im convinced its the oil im using.

My kx250 is spot on jetting. I followed guide, and on my plug chop i had a nice cardboard color, so it cant be the jetting causing it. My kx80 runs same oil and is doing it now.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Try some marine stabil too. I had some spooge issues that didn't seem to want to go away with jetting but when I started to use the stabil in every tank it went down a lot. Plus it helps the gas from going bad.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

ChrisZx7 wrote:My kx250 is splooging, and so is my kx80. Im convinced its the oil im using.
could be the oil, could be the gas.
Have you tried a different brand? different octane?
I know my bike runs better when i use higher octane...and i can tell when i use a different brand from my usual gas station (the one I jetted with)
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

scheckaet wrote:...and i can tell when i use a different brand from my usual gas station (the one I jetted with)
Yeah, that's the key right there. Whatever you use to jet with is what you need to stick with. Change oils, gas, mixture ratio, etc and everything changes a little. Spooge is just one of the 2T badges of honor we get to carry, you can always tell the 2T riders, just look for the oil spots on their fenders, gloves, gear, etc lol
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Ok, well here is the real question then... what jets do I use? I was looking on rocky mountain and it looks like there are short and long jets? Which ones do I need? I would like to get a kit with an assortment of needles and jets... is there one around for this carb? The reason I ask is I have no idea what is in there right now. Can anyone suggest a list of stuff for me to order to get me started (other than the 300 dollar kit on rocky mountain with a ton of stuff in it lol, i dont need all that)? I've never messed with jetting before and its something I need to know how to do. So I wanna do it, I'd just like to have atleast MOST of the stuff all there when I decide to jump into it.

Any help is much appreciated!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

JetsRUs.com http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_dirt/k ... 8_2006.htm

I think the stock jetting was 160 main, 48 pilot, super rich. Best bet is to pull the carb and open it up and see which ones are in there, then get a couple sizes up and down from there. The jets aren't too pricey, like 4-5$ a piece.
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

There are oils for power valve systems and for non power valve systems. I use belray or amsoil interceptor because they are made for power valves engines. If you use a non power valve oil you will end up with a lot of sponge and by the end with a stuck power valve on your bike.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

bufftester wrote:JetsRUs.com http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_dirt/k ... 8_2006.htm

I think the stock jetting was 160 main, 48 pilot, super rich. Best bet is to pull the carb and open it up and see which ones are in there, then get a couple sizes up and down from there. The jets aren't too pricey, like 4-5$ a piece.
Sweet, thanks man. You think I should get some different sized needles too? I'm the kind of guy that atleast tries to get all the stuff I need before I tear into something so the bike has minimal downtime (never works out that smoothly, but whatever lol) Its looking like I'm gonna hafta take it apart and find out whats in there. I found out from the previous owner that her dad did re-jet the bike himself at some point but can't remember when or what he put in.
Postigo wrote:There are oils for power valve systems and for non power valve systems. I use belray or amsoil interceptor because they are made for power valves engines. If you use a non power valve oil you will end up with a lot of sponge and by the end with a stuck power valve on your bike.
I use the Bel-Ray H1-R, that says its for power valve engines. Is a stuck power valve a cause of spooge? How would I know if I got one? And are talking like the KIPS actuator? or reed valves? or what? Can it be removed and cleaned up? or would i need to replace parts? I'm pretty new to working on two-strokes, so please excuse my ignorance.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I've never had to play with the needles, jets have been sufficient to get it where I want it. Different story on my GSXR, but then its a 4T with 4 carbs too lol.
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Im a little on the lean side 38/142 and still have a little sponge, maybe is the high humidity weather but my bike runs strong and without problems. Do a little work on your jetting and clean your pipe with mineral spirits or thinner to see how it works after that. About the power valve you can remove the cap of the power valve actuator and turn it by hand to see if its working.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...