Jetting question. Again

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
robkdx

Jetting question. Again

Post by robkdx »

Im just wondering about my jetting. Its got a PC pipe and muffler, no airbox lid. Main is 160 and idle is 48. I get a stack of smoke. And power is very off and on. Guessing its way rich? Can I change the main with the carb still in the bike?
robkdx

Jetting question. Again

Post by robkdx »

Also can you pull the needle without removing the carb? Just thinking I may do some tuning at my next trail ride.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Jetting question. Again

Post by rbates9 »

You have the stock jetting in the bike now. They come very rich from the factory. A good place to start would be with a 42 or 45 pilot and a 155 main. I make no guaranty at to that being what your bike needs but just a starting point. There is a jetting guide that will take you thru how to check what to get everything set up right.

Yes you can change the main by removing the bowl drain plug but the main is most likely not going to help with most of the throttle range. The main does it's thing from about 3/4 to full throttle and most people don't use that part of the throttle in the woods that often.

On my bike I can't turn the carb enough to get the cap off to adjust the needle with out at least pulling the filter side out. I can leave the fuel line connected but have to loosen both clamps and turn it.
robkdx

Jetting question. Again

Post by robkdx »

rbates9 wrote:You have the stock jetting in the bike now. They come very rich from the factory. A good place to start would be with a 42 or 45 pilot and a 155 main. I make no guaranty at to that being what your bike needs but just a starting point. There is a jetting guide that will take you thru how to check what to get everything set up right.

Yes you can change the main by removing the bowl drain plug but the main is most likely not going to help with most of the throttle range. The main does it's thing from about 3/4 to full throttle and most people don't use that part of the throttle in the woods that often.

On my bike I can't turn the carb enough to get the cap off to adjust the needle with out at least pulling the filter side out. I can leave the fuel line connected but have to loosen both clamps and turn it.
Cheers. I will order a 42 and 45 pilot and maybe a 150 and 155 main. At the moment the bike has very little down low then holy crap were going. I hear they are good down low but mine is not so much. It was suggested to me to re-fit the stock pipe to give it some low end. But ive been told the PC pipe should be fine down low.

So thanks , I have seen the guide but just wanted a starting point. :supz:
robkdx

Re: Jetting question. Again

Post by robkdx »

Been a long winter and only just getting back on the bike. Have gone to 155 main and 42 idle. Last ride still getting heaps of smoke. Have just but the clip on the top position. Does that sound right?

Its got no airbox cover and a Pro Circuit platinum 2 pipe.
robkdx

Jetting question. Again

Post by robkdx »

Pulled my muffler down for a repack. Found 80% of the mesh inside blocked with carbon.
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

robkdx wrote:Pulled my muffler down for a repack. Found 80% of the mesh inside blocked with carbon.
Hi, check the pipe and clean it with solvent because it should be in the same condition.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

What solvent should i use?
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

I use bb gun ammo with mineral spirits. fill half the pipe volume with the solvent and a couple of bbs put some plugs at both ends and shake the pipe. Repeat the process as needed usually two times. If there is carbon buildup at the ends use a screwdriver to remove it if necessary.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...