kips timing mark at pinion gear

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Post by argclh6670 »

hey guys im assembly my h1 right now, my manual says to align main shaft pinion "notched tooth" with small hole on "advancer lever". No problem except my pinion shaft doesnt have a notched tooth, it does have a machined line in the shaft just beyond outside gear. Basically between the two gears. im sure this has got to be the timing mark? all replies appreciated, i wanna fire this baby up today!!! been rebuilding for a month now. 500.00 later. :rolleyes:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: kips timing mark at pinion gear

Post by bufftester »

Yes, the machined line should be your reference mark (inline with the notched gear, good idea to paint it white during disassembly to make it easier) and it should line up with a tooth, not between them.
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Post by argclh6670 »

thanks buff,

i thought that was it. i notice ur in tacoma, my boys and i are always looking to hookup and ride with new people. Maybe sometime!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Sounds good, have to finish my bike build first...hoping to be done by March 1st so I can get a couple rides in before heading over to the Desert 100.
cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cragwl »

I'm going threw my 220 too. My crank seals are toast. Waiting on parts now. Should be here early next week. She'll have a fresh top end too. The PO claimed to have changed the piston. When I took off the cylinder, there was the stock piston. :roll: This bike was missing o-rings, washers, and several bolts. Kind of makes me anxious to fire it up and see if it runs stronger. It should. While I'm waiting on parts, she's getting a good cleaning.

Good state to live in for riding. We ride at Walker Valley, Tahuya, Capital Forest, Taneum Creek, Goose Creek/Mad Lake. What about you?

I would like to do the Desert 100 someday.
In dog beers, I've only had one.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Should run a lot better by the time you finish. Grew up riding Gold Mtn, Capitol Forest, Skookumchuck (back in the days when you could ride there), Tahuya. Never been to Walker Valley. Spent lots of time over in Goldendale, Mattawa (my dad's retirement place is there), and Spokane/N. Idaho. That was all before I joined the military 25 years ago and moved away. Since being back (about 2 years now) have been back to Capitol and Tahuya. And the Desert 100 I always tried to make a special trip home each year I could for it. My dad and I have ridden in probably 75% of them since the late 70's. It's actually a pretty good event. Saturday is the Poker Run, lots of kids on 85s and just a fun day of riding. Sunday is the race which is not a relaxed day of riding lol My Dad is excited because this year he gets to race for free (over 70 :bravo: )
cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cragwl »

Your Dad having a cabin in Mattawa is convenient for the Desert 100. Your Dad is impressive to ride in his 70's. That's my dream, to be riding, with my sons, late in my years. My cousin rides every year too. He wants me to do the poker run but I know its a trick to ride the race. Someday.

Walker is a slippery muddy mess this time of year. Come to think of it, its muddy most of the year. West side trait. I don't mind mud'n it, but not every weekend. Old now I guess.
In dog beers, I've only had one.
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Post by argclh6670 »

WOW, 70! i can only hope....I just picked up the Desert 100 flyer from cliffs cycle today. looks like a fun time. just got my kids 200 back together today. im guessin its super rich on pj cause its just a slug right now. bought the thing fore real cheap, spent this last month doing all seals beairings, new rod n bearings, topend. i have absolutely NO history with this bike so its gunna take me a spell to work the kinks out. im confident its just carb stuff...or timing.. or.. :rolleyes: