FMF Gnarley

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
4vman1

FMF Gnarley

Post by 4vman1 »

OK, don't stone me, but I just picked up a very lightly used 2000 KDX200 with a brand spankin new FMF k-35(woods) and tcII on it along with the stockers. I've had other "H" models in the past that I've raced, some with the stockers and one with Pro Circuit pipe and silencer. Then a friend lent me a FMF Burley pipe that I used on a few rides but didn't think there was all that much of a difference except in noise so I didn't buy it and gave it back. I rode his bike with the desert pipe on and in the tight woods that I ride in thought that it made my 'dx into a 125. So my question is this, "Is there anybody else out there that actually prefers the strong and quiet type(stock pipe) over the Gnarly?

So first ride was with the FMF pipe on with stock (48,#3,160) jetting. Felt like it was really lacking low end. Next ride was stock pipe and 45, clip#2, 155. Felt torquier than first ride. Rode yesterday with FMF on again and I only raised the needle back up to clip#3. Felt alot like the stocker but with less revs, making me think the 155 is too small. I suspect the KIPS may be needing a cleaning, which will happen at the beginning of January when head and carb go to RB. Any advise or opinions would be great.
Does anybody else prefer the stock pipe over either fmf pipe?
4vman1

Post by 4vman1 »

Wow, so I'm the only one that prefers the stock exhaust over a FMF Gnarly. I just thought the difference between the stocker and the gnarly woods was so minimal that the bang per buck didn't make sense, not to mention the stocker is quieter and an IED can barely dent it. I may try a PCII next.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Have you tried a gutted stocker? I wonder if it is quiet and more powerful or?????

I have a fmf fatty (i think, it's a gold series) on my 89 and the guys I ride with say it's quiet. Haven't heard a stocker though.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Try jetting the bike. Not just guessing but actually going thru the steps to get it right on. It will make a huge difference.

Have you checked the compression?
4vman1

Post by 4vman1 »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Try jetting the bike. Not just guessing but actually going thru the steps to get it right on. It will make a huge difference.

Have you checked the compression?
I haven't checked the compression yet because it feels good and the stock tires still have 60% of tread left, but I know that doesn't mean it hasn't been hammered the little time it was used.

As far as jetting goes, with the 45, #3, 155 combo, it felt a hair rich on the pilot (as indicated by turning the a/s out to 2.5) but not bad, and the main felt as though it may have been lean as it did not want to rev. I could be wrong on that as I haven't done a wet oil line or plug chop test yet. I have these needles: n3cg, n3ch, n3eh, nozi, nozh, n8rw, n8rj, n2zw, n2zj, 1371dka (honda), nedj (suzuki), and jd's, however the colors have wore off and can't tell which is which. I was thinking that n3ch may work well in the 'dx.
Edward Anstett
Supporting Member

Post by Edward Anstett »

I too felt the stocker had much better off throttle torque then FMF Gnarley woods. I originally had 45 /#3 /155 with stocker and was advised that it may be a little lean with new pipe.

So I put stock 48 back in ,and it seems better....but air screws out past 1.5 . Not thrilled with results.

Pipe sure looks good though...thats got make it faster....No?
kbob999

FMF Gnarley

Post by kbob999 »

I'll run a back to back test next Spring, so that will have to wait. But I will say for certain the stocker is MUCH quieter, and heavier. Will likely keep the stocker on the shelf (it's perfect) and run the used FMF Gnarly (dented) for general use, then put the stocker on when I sell. I'll wear ear plugs when running the FMF - it is much louder. :?