Slide question

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Slide question

Post by KrispyKDX »

Hi,
I have a 220 and I’m looking for a carb upgrade. RB did not want to sell me one or mod one for me since I am in Canada (!!).
So plan B will probably be a 35 mm air stryker.
I see a lot of incoherent info about the slide. If I get a brand new PWK 35 AS, do I have to change the slide in it? #7 slide? The slide from my original PWK 33 would not work?

Or, any better option for a carb upgrade? Even better, anyome has a RB’d one for sale? 😉
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Slide question

Post by MoonStomper »

When I did my slide I called Sudco. Those guys are awesome and will get you exactly the right part you need for your bike with no faffing around. They know all about the KDX carbs.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Slide question

Post by John_S »

In my experience, a new 35 air striker carb with the 4.5 slide is all mine needed. After setting the float to 18mm I was able to jet it without a problem and it was perfectly reliable and predictable. I ended up buying a #7 slide after reading about it and it didn’t end up being any better. I still have it on there but had to increase the jet sizes significantly. In the end it runs great like the 4.5 slide but has a 50 pilot instead of a 40 pilot. 42, 45, and 48 would all lean bog down low and the air screw was 1 turn or less. I also had to richen up the needle clip 1 notch. Now with the 50 pilot it’s at 1.25 turns out. With the 40 I had to almost run the air screw closed. Every bike is different but the air striker out of the box for me was excellent.

The slide from your 33 is a direct fit on the 35 air striker. My 33 slide ran richer down low than the 4.5 due to it being old and worn out. Not bad but not as snappy as the brand new 4.5. Next time I have the carb out I’m going back to the 4.5 and jetting I used to have. It was less finicky for years the way it was set up before.