1995 KDX200 rebuild thread.

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
rashad

Re: 1995 KDX200 rebuild thread.

Post by rashad »

wow that looks great!

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Ok, here is a picture of the final wheel project...#8 Spokes, wrapped, powder coated rims and hubs. Looks better that I was think it would.....

newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Nice, looks good! I was thinking about using a bit of gold for my hybrid build but was unsure how it would look. Seeing your results may be starting to change my mind again lol.

What did you wrap the spokes with? Heat shrink tube or something?
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Tyl3r wrote:Nice, looks good! I was thinking about using a bit of gold for my hybrid build but was unsure how it would look. Seeing your results may be starting to change my mind again lol.

What did you wrap the spokes with? Heat shrink tube or something?
The wheels where completely disassembled for powder, the #8 spokes where cut to length, threaded, shrink wrapped and then the wheel was re-laced. The spokes now look like a #7 or even #6s, but it's hard to tell just from looking at them.

OK, just so you know, the color is not "Gold" it is "Brass", which removes a lot of the shine that Gold has.
I was worried about having to much gold, the rims, hubs and swing arm are all the same color, but it actually came together pretty well with the thick black spokes in the wheel. I'll be using a black sprocket as well. When I get the forks back and buy a black or white fender (I can't find a green RM fender) I'll set up the graphics and that will help bring the whole bike together.

As of yesterday;
The bike has 93 blue USD forks and standard wheels, this is because the RM forks aren't done and I will need to custom cut the spacers and still need to come up with bearing seals for the front.
The bike runs, but I need to check out the jetting. I added a Rad valve and repacked the silencer, but the bike has 42/152 jets now, so I think I'm good for this weekend. I have a box due tomorrow for the final parts I need for assembly and a few extras.
I did not put any street gear back on it as this is going to be my race bike all winter. I'll street ride the 93 when she gets put back together.

So the final list is;
Jetting
Wheel spacers for the front end
Front fender and fork guards
New rear fender (I think I'm going to do the MX fender here)
Graphics.

If OT keeps coming this winter (I doubt it) I'll do an EG 225 kit and RB carb. If not, that will have to wait until spring hits.
Now I'm thinking that I want to sell the 93 and pick up a KX or RM 250, just to have a different bike, but IDK.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Well, forks aren't/weren't done, so I stole the FE and wheels off the 93 and went racing (see the thread in the "Racing" section). I wish I had the new forks, but I should have those before the next race. I added a RAD Valve to the bike while it was apart and it was the only engine mod that I made. I checked the jetting and the jetting that was in there, 42/152 seemed perfect. The performance from the motor was excellent! I wasn't prepared for the additional power that it had compared to before....And I needed it!

OK, so, I need Graphics and front wheel seals for this to be a complete refresh....Then start saving for a 225 kit.
rashad

Post by rashad »

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I'm not sure that the RM-Z fenders fit. My plan, at this time, is to take the lower triple up to the Zuke/Kaw shop and see what they say. If that doesn't work....My favorite Hon/Zuke shop will have to do.
rashad

Post by rashad »

I have a yamaha front fender on my dr 650. Any fender will fit, you just have to widen/ redrill holes.
rashad

Post by rashad »

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I don't want to redrill (widen) the holes....I crash enough and the mounting holes on a 95 RM are so close together, I'm afraid I'll rip a re-drilled fender off...I'd rather go with a black fender (which I can find) or a universal fender and drill the ONLY holes in it. That is my dilema and worth a bit of a drive (or two) to figure it out....Oh, and the bike after yesterdays race....

Had a LOT of work to do today :blink:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Sooooo, Haven't done any more work on the bike yet, STILL waiting on the forks. I did get a front fender (black) and fork guards, so more junk...err parts taking up space in my garage.
I am now thinking that I want to do a KLX swingarm (no side stand mount) for cleanliness. I wouldn't have it powdered though. If I do this I'll strip all the paint off and semi polish it. Does anyone know what year KLX swingarms fit?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

gorgeous plastics, tell us which tires t you bought?

sedona 907 maybe?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

ohgood wrote:gorgeous plastics, tell us which tires t you bought?

sedona 907 maybe?
The tires on the bike (pictured above) are Kenda Washougals. The tires on the gold rims are Washougal front/Trackmaster rear.
I am VERY impressed with the Washougal front tires......Best I've ever rode on and not overly expensive. I switch between the Trackmaster and Washougal on the rear depending on terrain. The race series I do, in the winter, is on a clay based mud and the Washougal doesn't clean out as well as the TM. I started using the TMs on my son's 220 and he loves it out there. The best part about the TM is they are about $60 for a 110/11-18....and that's for my RACE tire.

The plastics are the stock plastics for this bike....I have all new stuff waiting to go for the final build.

I forgot to mention that I also obtained an older rear brake carrier for this bike. The older carrier allows me to use my Shark Fin disk guard.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Well, after doing a last minute move in January and having some mental issues, I finally got the KDX pretty close to done.
I'm not using the gold wheels, they will go on my 93 instead. The reason is that I don't want to make the spacers to fit the KDX wheel to the RM forks. The axle spacers would be easy enough, but it will take some creativity to get the brakes lined up, most likely needing a front caliper from a 93/94 KDX (same caliper, different mount). I still need graphics (as $$ will allow), before putting the new plastics on, so for now, all original plastics with new stuff waiting in the garage.
I installed a KX 125 clutch activator rod have a new front rotor from RMATV on the way (by Tuesday I hope) and need to install the bark busters (currently on my 93) today and my new seat cover will go on this week.
Here's a picture.

I'll get more pictures later.
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

6 Riders wrote:Well, after doing a last minute move in January and having some mental issues, I finally got the KDX pretty close to done.
I'm not using the gold wheels, they will go on my 93 instead. The reason is that I don't want to make the spacers to fit the KDX wheel to the RM forks. The axle spacers would be easy enough, but it will take some creativity to get the brakes lined up, most likely needing a front caliper from a 93/94 KDX (same caliper, different mount). I still need graphics (as $$ will allow), before putting the new plastics on, so for now, all original plastics with new stuff waiting in the garage.
I installed a KX 125 clutch activator rod have a new front rotor from RMATV on the way (by Tuesday I hope) and need to install the bark busters (currently on my 93) today and my new seat cover will go on this week.
Here's a picture.

I'll get more pictures later.
Looking good 6riders! Great to see you back online here. I really like the front fender with the KDXRIDER.NET.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Ok, more stuff done. New seat cover & black MX rear fender installed. Raced it yesterday, got my @ss handed to me. I'll try to get pictures of the bike up after she gets cleaned up.
Last edited by 6 Riders on 06:15 pm May 22 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Nice looking bike. Raced today and also had my ass handed to me. Must be an ass day ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Here are some pictures after a quick wash......

I have new aluminum radiators to put on, waiting for new braces to show up. I'll be putting new # plates, headlight and shrouds on, if and when, I get graphics made.

Not much else to do, besides having the top end and carb messaged.....buy that has to wait on $$ and for the current top end to wear down a bit more. I'm thinking an EG 225 kit and a new carb...maybe have RB do the head as well.