Rebuilding my 04 220

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Rebuilding my 04 220

Post by JFortner5 »

I recently picked this bike up and knew from my last 220 to get the stock piston out in a hurry. The bike seems like it's in decent shape but I have found a few things I need to address while taking it apart.

The piston in this bike was not cracked so that was good. The cylinder has a little bit of wear but it's not bad. I'll run it this season at least.

The power valve is nasty...

Even though my piston was in one piece it was time for a rebuild. I'm not an expert at reading a piston but I think the black on the skirts is from blow by. The head has a lot of carbon in it and the top of the piston did until I cleaned it off.

I stopped working on it for the day. My piston won't be here until Tuesday anyway. My question is do the piston kits come with a new rod bearing? Do I need one? I can't remember it's been a while since I rebuilt my other one.

I'll post this too just in case somebody new sees it but here is the stock piston out of my last 220-

Get those stockers out ASAP. That last bike was running perfect and had it not been for this forum I hate to think what would have happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Rebuilding my 04 220

Post by canamfan »

The wiseco kit on RMATV&cycle shows piston, rings and new pin but no small end bearing, have to order separate.
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Re: Rebuilding my 04 220

Post by JFortner5 »

Is it okay to reuse it or is it best to replace it? I think I already know the answer.

Joey

2003 KDX 220R
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Definitely replace it. It is probably around $10 - it definitely isnt cost prohibitive.
Last edited by Tedh98 on 10:41 pm Feb 07 2016, edited 2 times in total.
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I'm not sure I need to look right now. I might as well though I need to order some front wheel bearings while I'm at it

Update- Just ordered one, I'd rather do it right. They're about $15.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

I have re used them in a pinch. But if your waiting on piston why not spend the small amount for a great piece of mind?
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

All of my parts came in today. I was looking forward to coming home from work and start putting the bike back together. I opened up the piston kit and Wiseco left the rings out.

I guess it will be a few more days before she lives again.

Joey

2003 KDX 220R
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

I had a Wiseco piston kit show up without rings once, too. My theory is that douchebags are ordering the piston kits, keeping the rings for a rering job, and sending the piston and box back for a full refund. Probably a lot more common with 125s than KDXs, though :roll:
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Rebuilding my 04 220

Post by JFortner5 »

Your theory is probably right unfortunately. I ordered it through Amazon so they already have another one on the way. It's not really a big deal, it's pretty cold out in the garage anyway.

Joey

2003 KDX 220R
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I'm slowly making progress. Amazon was great to deal with. The replacement came Friday and had all the parts in the box.

I got the KIPS cleaned and reinstalled last night. I just finished up getting the piston installed along with the cylinder and head. I could finish today but I'm ready to watch some racing so I'll have it running tomorrow.

I can't wait to hit some single track.

Joey

2003 KDX 220R
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

It's alive. I don't know what it is but this bike feels really strong off the bottom compared to my last one. I can be idling along in 2nd and gas it and it just goes. I almost lost it the first time I wasn't expecting it. I heat cycled it a couple times and took it for a little ride earlier.

I still have a few loose ends to deal with but I'm really happy today. It's nice to hear it come to life after rebuilding it.

Joey

2003 KDX 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on getting it together and back out riding. :bravo:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I figured I'd post a few more pics of the bike, and my riding buddy-

We are fortunate to have that little area to ride at within walking distance from our house. We have a few trails in the woods that connect us from home to that field.

I've got a few more little bugs to work out of my bike, and also to get those numbers off of it.

Joey

2003 KDX 220R