Starvation Ridge & Kingsley Resivoir

Reviews of riding areas...
hoodoo

Starvation Ridge & Kingsley Resivoir

Post by hoodoo »

I went riding at Kingsley reservoir above Hoodriver for a couiple of hours after work. It was ok, rocky and some steep dusty climbs through soft soil and some very muddy sections. In some sections it was very slick clay/dirt conditions. Had fun but ran into a lot of deadends. I wont return.

Saturday, 06/25/05 I went to a playday at Starvation Ridge in Goldendale Washington. The track host Euro GP style racing there and is 11 miles. Nearby is Eddyville which is 7 or 8 miles long.
It was not what I expected. Very tough techincal race course. Do not have a lapse in concentration. Rough washboard marbley hardpack, blind jumps, off camber drops through low rolling hill grasslands, one mistake and your off course or in the ponds. Lots of short fast sections into hard right or left turns or hairpins. The fast guys will make a lap in around 23 minutes and they do this at night as well. My best was around 28 mintues and that was the second of 4 laps. Dont get me wrong, it was fun but I felt I was at the limit of the KDX front suspension( I run 40 kg xr400 springs). The track demanded high quality suspension and a steering damper. After the firts lap I dropped the air pressure from 11 psi to 9 psi and it made a world of difference for my handling at speed in these conditions.
I am glad I went. It was fun but very demanding. I got in 4 laps for 44 miles, the hardest 44 miles yet on the KDX, It was so rough it shook both my brake and clutch perches loose on the 3rd lap. My forearms and wrists were beat at the end of the day. I dont need to go back.

If you want to know more about Starvation ridge or Eddyville race tracks, Google "the over the bars gang" and check out the website. The arial shots of both tracks are very impressive.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Nice ride report. Proof positive a good ride can be had over an 11 mile loop and 44 miles before the body and bike cry uncle!!

Most of my rides are under 50 miles before I'm too beat up to continue safely. I usually run 12 psi front; guess I'll have to give the 9 psi a try but I've always worried about flats.

Sounds like it's time (riding skills wise anyway) to look into KX suspension up front. It should help keep your wrists and forearms from getting so tired. Also the auto clutch will have you singing at the end of that same ride because your arms are not having to clutch all day long. I sure love mine!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

The 25hr at Starvation Ridge is this weekend, anyone else going? We have a rag tag team that is out to have fun, should be a blast.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)