Do you have Good Riding Close?

Reviews of riding areas...
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Do you have Good Riding Close?

Post by Sapphire »

I grew up in the country, about 35 miles east of Seattle and had unlimited riding opportunities out my driveway...it was unreal. Not to mention I cut trails on the 10 acres my parents had...and the neighboor was into bikes and he built a "trail" track on the un-inhabited 40 acres across the road from us! It was awesome...

Now, I live in Billings, MT. Where I live, in a new developement that is "slowly" filling up, there is about 4 acres across the street that my daughter and I and a few neighboors keep torn up, but once the neighboorhood fills in...it will disappear...

I can drive about 1/2 hour east and get to a designated BLM riding area... Lots of trails, coulees, rocks, dirt, open "pit" type areas with trails and jumps all over... I'm a little tentative with the 8yr old daughter though, as there are a lot of riders out there.

Another spot, which I will try out this weekend, is a BLM hill climb area about 12 miles from my house. The area is OPEN to cross country travel and is torn to hell...its a sacrifice areas for the BLM (I work for the BLM, so I'm pretty familiar with how they manage it)... Its got lots of BIG steep hill climbs and a fair number of other trails that are pretty challenging...I dont even think its feasible for my 8 yr old on her TTR...in a few years when shes better and has more power under her.

Then...right next to that is the Billings Motorcycle Club property. Its got it all...trails, hare scramble courses, MX tracks and Massive hill climbs. The Great American is the oldest hill climb in the country... its in late July I think. It costs $450 a year for a family membership for the first 2 years, then drops to $250....Not bad considering it has the varied terrain, tracks, etc... and is only 15 mins from my house... there is a waiting list though, which I am on..

Finally, there is a bunch of BLM land about 1 1/4 hours south, on the WY border. This is all dirt/rock road riding....no cross country travel. No trails, jsut "fire roads" and some fairly well traveled roads... There is lots more riding opportunities within a few hours also!

Hows your riding situation???