Grand Junction, CO.

Reviews of riding areas...
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Grand Junction, CO.

Post by Colorado Mike »

If you're around Colorado in the early or late seasons and maybe it's too snowy up in the mountains, check out Grand Junction. That's in the western part of the state near the Utah border and only about 4600' of elevation.

There's at least 3 bike shops there, and I paid $65 a night for a pretty nice Best Western room. There's a big riding area east of the airport ,which is east of the town. The terrain is desert-like with a good bit of up-and-down through dry creek beds. Mesas surround you, and heading east you butt up to some canyons that terminate against nearly vertical walls. There are some shooting areas in there too, so be careful of where you are, and bring your firearms if inclined.

I'm told you can ride into Utah on trails there, we started out to do it, but 2 guys had MX bikes and ran low on fuel. If you try it, be good and close the stock gates after you. There are some amazing sites up on the mesas, and a golfing fanatic friend of mine says there is an awesome course there too, so non-riding family members might want to tag along. It's not that far from Moab, so you could check that out too.

I wouldn't want to ride there in the summer because of the lack of shade, but if you're used to heat, it might not bother you. I prefer to stay high in the mountains during the heat of summer.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
vitolayne

Colorado Trip Planned

Post by vitolayne »

Hey Mike,
I'm going out to Gunnison area on Labor Day and could use your advice. I have a 2002 KDX 200 and would like to jet it properly. What jetting do you run (if your bike is a 200) or do you know of anybody with a 200 that has the jetting dialed in? I believe it's higher around Gunnison/Taylor Park. Any additional info would be appreciated. Thanks, Vito
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Sorry Vito, Mine is a 220 with the RB carb mod and a FMF torque pipe, DF3 reed block, and no airbox lid. I ride at 8-12,000' , I haven't ridden at Gunnison but It's gotta be higher than 'Junction, oh yeah 3000' higher, they're just a bit under 8000'. Anyway, not that it'll help much, but I run a 145-148 main most of the time, a 40 pilot, and the needle either in the middle or second from the top position. The needle is not stock though, it's the one Ron puts in and I can't remember if it's a CEK or DEK. Sorry, no one I ride with has a KDX so I don't know what other folks run. You might check Idaho Charley's posts. He's smart, and I think he has 200 experience.

As for other pointers, drink a lot of water. If you don't have a hydration pack, you need one. I'm not kidding, the humidity here is usually around 8%. Also you can get real bad sunburns due to the thin atmosphere. If you want to increase your chances of getting altitude sickness, eat real fatty foods, and drink lots of alcohol. If you want to try not to get it, do the opposite. Chances are you'll be on vacation though, so you'll be in the business of having fun. Let me know how the ride goes. I'm always looking for new places.

Have fun,
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
vitolayne

Post by vitolayne »

Thanks anyway Mike. All advice is welcome. I've been reading up on how to avoid altitude problems, so we all will have to watch what we're doing. We rode Taylor Park area about four years ago and we are really looking forward to coming back. We are going to ride there again, but we are also going further west to Ouray and maybe on to Moab. West Virginia is great, the hills, woods, and the Hatfield-McCoy trails, but Colorado is worth the trip (24 hours for us). I will post our ride experiences when we return (mid September)As for the jetting, I'll experiment when I get there. Those KDX's are MAGIC! I'm sure it will do fine. Vito
qwik gixxer

Post by qwik gixxer »

If Your out that way you can also ride Rabbit Valley. Its at Mile Marker 2 just in from Utah. Some great singletrack and some really fun fire roads. Last time ther we were playin with two wheel broadslides at speed. Fun Fun Fun