A Major Riding Area Closure; Pray for the souls of the EPA

Reviews of riding areas...
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

A Major Riding Area Closure; Pray for the souls of the EPA

Post by kawagumby »

:sad:
Clear Creek riding area, BLM land, is closed indefinitely, probably for good. This was THE premier riding area of central California. The EPA has determined (in their infinite wisdom and litigious bent of mind) that the naturally occuring asbestos in the soil is a health hazard - even in winter when there is no dust issue. The remote open space and the challenging technical terrain will be missed by those who really love an adventure. A bummer of absolute proportion. :butthead:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Just heard about this today, major bummer for you guys in Central CA. I've never ridden Clear Creek but the pics and vids have always made me want to. Looks like i'll not have the chance either :cry:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Sorry to hear you lost great riding territory. Any "appeals" possible? Did they provide some sort of report with evidence of their claims?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

A study was done, but not one that limited the issue to winter use. We knew this was coming for a long time.... last year it was closed during the dry season. Funny, not one report of mesothelemia, even from guys (like me) who have ridden there since the 70's. My personal viewpoint is that off-roading is eventually doomed everywhere, as gov't bias and the popular conception of dirtbiking are mostly negative things.

In our local craigslist a guy is selling his toybox hauler and three bikes for 20K. Clear Creek was his no 1 riding place and nothing else will substitute. I can relate.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.