2007 24hrs at Starvation Ridge

Reviews of riding areas...
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

2007 24hrs at Starvation Ridge

Post by strider80 »

Once again, Team Freaky Deaky will be running the 24hrs at Starvation Ridge in south central Washington. We are taking off tomorrow. I will post some updates and pictures next week. This will be the first race I have run with my suspension finally sorted out, should be fun. 100 teams, 24hrs, 60deg in the daytime, 28deg at night. Should be interesting! :grin:
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

Good luck Strider! Still waiting to do the Belfair loop..
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

What a race, probably the most fun I have had on a dirt bike. I rode 4th in the order (5 man team), since I started the race last year, so I got in 4 22 mile laps (some riders on the team got in 5 laps), 3 of them at night, the crisp weather was not too bad, we had an RV and a box van with a propane heater for a little preheating before jumping on the bike. My Cyclops helmet light worked well, my new UFO halogen Ray head light was better than the UFO twins I used to have...I think, the beam pattern is a little funny, but definitely the Ray throws more light out there. Overall the KDX ran great, lost the lower chain roller, and my shifter was holding on my a hair by the end, but it made it, I really made it work hard in the more open sections. I ran a Maxxis IT rear tire instead of the trials tire, the IT held up great.

The course was rolling desert, with GP style mowed prairie grass (my favorite part, brake/power sliding super-moto style), dirt road sections, rock gardens, tight woods, ponds to ride around, ride through a farm house and a barn thrown in for fun. The course held up great the first 12 hours, then it started to get a bit rutted out, but there were clean lines to be had.

The rest of the team made it all safe, with some mechanical break downs, one broken peg mount on a XR400, one broken shifter shaft on the other XR400 (I thought XR's were reliable?), the DR350 and 525MXC ran like champs. The two riders with broken bikes rode the KTM, one of which who crashed the KTM breaking the fender, light and GPS, the owner was not that happy...but that is what happens during a race and a buddy needs a bike.

I am pretty sure we finished towards the bottom of our open-AM class, and pretty low overall out of the 100 teams. The competition is pretty stiff, with several pro-teams, including a Paris-Dakar rider (Jonah Street, riding a KTM Dakar bike!)). New KTMs with 55W HIDs were the norm, not the exception, most of the riders out there were really fast, and did not seem to realize when it got dark out, they still rode like bandits!

We lost two laps off our total due to the mechanical breakdowns and having to come back to the pits. We had a blast though! We will be back next year to bring up the rear!

I will post an update with some pics and results in the next couple of days.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Here are the professional pics from the race, A Class / 65A:
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPa ... 90006&po=6

Photo #2 is me trying to show off for the camera and almost going over the bars!
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)