Desert 100 and China Hat ISDE

Reviews of riding areas...
Flying W

Desert 100 and China Hat ISDE

Post by Flying W »

Anyone here planning to race either of the events above?

The decision for the Desert100 has yet to be made (it will be a "No" unless I can split gas 3-ways). China Hat is a go.
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

I am planning on the race and poker run for the Desert100, been doing it for a few years now.

I am going to try and make the Sparkplug enduro this weekend at Belfair as a good warm up for the Desert.

Where you coming from?
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

i wish i could race in the des. 100, but it costs total around 300+ dollars to go round trip and my parents are in the middle of buying property, so there is a good chance i will not be showing up :mad:
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

so how was the desert 100? i heard someone had a heart attack whole racing though :cry:
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Yea, the guy died about 200ft in front of my buddy and I (we did not see him). He had a heart attack in one of the tight bottleneck sections where there were several hundred racers packed up. Godspeed to him. That is two events in a row in WA where someone has had a heart attack.

We got delayed for an hour and a half in that section while they were attending to him (I am not complaining, this is serious), so we did not get to make the second lap because we got back to the pits too late.

I heard another guy broke his neck and someone had a compound femur fracture, the medivac heli had a lot of work. There were 900+ racers in the race this year.

The poker run was great, about 70 miles, light rain kept the dust down, we had a good time. The one 44 mile lap in the race was fun too once we got through the crowd.

Here are some unsorted (not all that interesting) pics and vids of the poker run and mini race. My buddy is on the KTM525.

Last edited by strider80 on 12:49 am Apr 20 2007, edited 1 time in total.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

One of the guys in our camp did CPR on the heart attack victim until the EMTs arrived. They couldn't sustain him though and pronounced him dead before the helicopter could get there.

The guy with the broken neck was sent off in 'good spirits' as one Stumpie was quoted, but it is now being said (still a rumor) that he died too.

Other injuries admitted to at TT:
A broken shoulder, a broken collar bone, a broken wrist, 2 sprained wrists, a concussion (I rolled up on this guy myself as he was going down), broken toes, split open knee requiring 32 stitches and some staples!!

I was tossed down three times, but came out of each one like Chuck Norris. Deep, silty whoops at the end of high speed sections - 2 times they were in turns after the speed section, one time in the middle of a big straight. I had my GPR set to "5" and it still jerked the bars to the right...can only imagine what it would have done to me with out a stabilizer! :shock:

China Hat this weekend...woohoo! :twisted:
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Were you riding a KDX? With inverted forks?

I have been following the threads on TT too, always hard to hear about another rider passing.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
strider80 wrote:Were you riding a KDX? With inverted forks?

I have been following the threads on TT too, always hard to hear about another rider passing.
Nope, our KDX is my wife's (and she doesn't like the idea of me getting extra springs for my weight, but all I need now is a 5.4 shock spring). KX forks are on my 'to do' list though...but that will be some time after the RB milling and carb mod (which may be this summer). I have the parts for a new top end on the workbench, just need a free (from riding :mrgreen: ) weekend to put them in.

I was on my WR for the D100 and will be for China Hat too. Maybe she'll let me enter the Devil's Head...that's what I want the 220 for.:twisted: It is so quick through the woods compared to my top-heavy thumper.

The latest rumor has the spinal injury guy doing well in the hospital and not paralyzed. Just a rumor though.
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

That is good news, I just read that on TT as well.

I think we may put together a 4 man team of the 12hr at Starvation ridge in a couple of weeks.

Pardon my ignorance, where is China Hat at in Oregon?
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
strider80 wrote:That is good news, I just read that on TT as well.

I think we may put together a 4 man team of the 12hr at Starvation ridge in a couple of weeks.

Pardon my ignorance, where is China Hat at in Oregon?
East of Bend 22 miles.