Tire discussion for the PNW

Reviews of riding areas...
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Tire discussion for the PNW

Post by strider80 »

Just wanted to start a little bit of dialogue about tires for the PNW. I have run M12 fronts and S12 rears since I got the bike. This seems to be a preffered combo around here, but want to try something else. It works fine for me in the woods(I don't know any different), but the S12 chunks badly in rocky or desert terrain, obviously since it is a soft compound.

A lot of people around going to trials tires in the rear in the wet for tail riding.

My plan for the coming year is to choose a front medium/intermediate tire (M12? MT16 pirelli?) to run all year in all conditions, wet, dry, rocks and woods. Then buy a Maxxis Desert IT for the rear for the desert and a trials tire for the wet/woods. Probably keep an S12 around too for the rear.

Any opinions on woods setups? Desert setups? Just curious what otehr people are running these days that are not the typical Michelin or Dunlop setup. What are your current favs?
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I used M-12 on both ends at Walker Valley or Reiter and they were very good as compared to stock 739's. I hated the S-12 on the rear on anything semi-hard due to severe chunking and it felt weird and snaky on downhill stops. I used a 756 and a Maxxis IT on the rear and it was close to the M-12, except I think the M-12 rear was better when new and sharp, especially on the wet slippery stuff. In the sand here most everyone uses S-12 on the rear, but here is a long way from there. But if you go to the Desert 100 you might want to try S-12's
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

My S12 on the rear got pretty chunked at the 100 last year, of course that was 160 miles over two days, so I can't complain too much. That is the main event I am considering the IT for, the rocky sections are pretty tough on soft tires. There is not much sand there so that is good. Mostly hard pack and rocks with a few nice dirt sections.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

At Walker I saw a bunch of Maxxis IT. At Cle Elum I sat tons of M-12's on punkins. At Reiter I saw a bunch of ruint bikes and bodies bein air lifted.
For the best all -round I think the M-12 is it, but it and the Maxxis IT are POOR in the sand. I have heard about the desert IT from friends and family in Pasco, but not ridden on it . Everyone loved it. It is very popular over there.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Oh man, now I am ruined for concentration at work till April. Someone just posted this for the Desert 100 on TT. Good times.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I rode the Mattawa 100 in spring 74, fall /spring 75, spring 76. Good times with a Pursang and a 250 Elsinore. I remember the new Yamaha's with the mono-shock leavin us way way back when we went over the rocky hills. I do miss riding over there. We used to camp in a van...down by the river! :partyman: and we tested the adults beverages for them, sort of a quality control service us kids provided for free.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Not sure on the woods...but, the Desert here in AZ is mostly rocks, with loose rocks, and very very loose and small rocks (sand). Not much dirt, unless you call hard pack and silt dirt.

For the rear, Maxxis IT (desert and regular) or SI, Dunlop 952, Bridgestone 402A all seem to hold up pretty well in the rocks. Alot of the AA and A riders were running trials tires on the rear for our last race. Not sure how they hold up since the AA and A guys pretty much tear up any rear tire in 1 event.

I don't know how you guys can ride with the medium terrain fronts. I've hated every single one I've tried. Once the edges were rounded, it was slide for life. The only front I like out here is the Maxxis SI. It wears well, stays consistant through the wear, and works great on all the varying terrain. Some of our riders have like the Dunlop 952 as a front. I'll run any rear tire. I'm very picky about the front.

Later
Robb
Last edited by quailchaser on 03:18 pm Jan 11 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

So maybe a SI up front and IT in the rear?
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
strider80 wrote:So maybe a SI up front and IT in the rear?
I'd do that...but, I'd get at least one ride in on them before I rode an event to sort of break them in. If your changing tires from what your use to, it's definatley a good idea. The only thing I've experienced with the IT rear is they tend to be scatey for the first ride or so, until the edges get broken...then they're very predictable and wear well. The Maxxis SI rear holds up surprizingly good for a soft terrain tire. I don't recall having the same issue with it needing to "break in" as I had with the many IT's I've run. But, I've only run the SI as a rear once.

Tire opinions are like whats the best oil...everyone has a different riding style and bike setup...so experiences will vary. Me...I've never liked the Michelins out here, but it seems the guys from up north and back east (apparently areas with actual dirt, roots, and mud) love them.

Tire manufactures also love to change the compounds and tread design just about the time you get to really liking a particular tire. :mad:
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

On another site that will not be mentioned, an older once top-of-the-heap desert racer from AZ was tellin everybody how much he loved the Maxxis desert out there in his own back yard. The big boys came to town and they ran em too. He mentioned the sidewalls being very strong and protecting the rims too.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Could it be because the not mentioned site sells Maxxis tires? :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Just though of a few more tires I really liked for the rear here in the rocks. Metzler MC5, Pirelli MT16 and Pirelli MT18. These have provided good traction and good wear.

My personal fav. for overall traction in our varied Desert terrain has been the Dunlop 756. However, I would never buy a new one...they wear really fast. We get quite a few MX take offs that are barely worn (as far as desert riding goes), but you really have to like changing tires 'cause they're only good for about 2 rides...maybe 3 if you have a really good day. :wink:

Rears all wear pretty fast here in the rocks. I'm not sure how much this helps? :roll:
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Anyone have a trials tire recomendation for someone who has not run one before?
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Well, after much research I think I decided on a setup.
Desert racing:
Maxxis SI front, Maxxis Desert IT rear

Everything else:
Maxxis SI front, then I am going to try a Dunlop 803 trials rear or an SI if I don't like thr trials tire.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
strider80 wrote:Well, after much research I think I decided on a setup.
Desert racing:
Maxxis SI front, Maxxis Desert IT rear

Everything else:
Maxxis SI front, then I am going to try a Dunlop 803 trials rear or an SI if I don't like thr trials tire.
Hello strider80-
I've read the whole thread and am new here (we bought a KDX220 Friday night). I live in McMinnville, OR and ride The Burn, Bend, Jones Creek (once is enough), Gifford Pinchot, The Dez100, and a couple other races (all on my WR). I have some comments for you.

First, tires made for soft conditions (S12) are made from a harder compound and tend to have longer knobs than tires made for firm conditions (H12). The thinking is that tires in hardfirm conditions need to grip the surface while tires in soft conditions need to 'dig' in to the surface. The chunking you and I see is from the rubber compound being too stiff for the surface. You know what it's like in our neck of the woods: Soft terrain and then all of a sudden - hard packed gravel from trail repair or them logging roads, or even naturally imbedded rock. The knobs shear off because they are long and less flexible.

Second, I put a trials tire on my WR around TurkeyDay after reading all the junk and talking to some converted believers. The tire is a Michelin X11 tube-type. My thoughts were very similar to yours: A wet-season setup and a desert setup. Maxxis Desert ITs front and rear for me (they were great last year for the Dez100, China Hat ISDE, several trips to EFR, two trips to Gifford Pinchot, and even in The Burn for the Devil's Head ISDE). I usually ride The Burn as it is my back yard and the Desert ITs worked great once we hit late June all the way through to mid-November. I must have got close to 1000 miles on them between April 9th (I put them on for the Dez100) until I put the trials tire on around TurkeyDay. Well worth the dinero.

Third, the trials tire has been an outstanding performer in all conditions (even snow). Better in everything than soft-terrain knobbies with one exception - if the mud is soupy, the tire spins with little traction. That has been okay though, since the terrain in The Burn is rarely flat. Also, I can track along the sides of the flooded whoops without sliding in and getting swapped up like will happen frequently with knobbies. What great things you have heard about trials tires are true.

Last, I know I'm not convincing you to try a trials tire, as you have already said you plan to buy one. What I would try to convince you of is which type. Buy the Michelin. It's the only type I have tried (we now have a second one on the 220 we just picked up), so I can only repeat what others have said about competitor tires - people complain about the durability and performance of other brands, but the only complaint about the Michelin is its price. I want to have a good experience when I ride - time is short - so there is no question that the extra cost of the tire is well worth it if it lasts longer and works better. I am hoping to get two winters out of a trials tire and that's about 720 trail miles from the beginning of December through March.

I look forward to hearing about your experience with a trials tire. Good luck! :supz:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What old is new again! :lol:

All my old 70's bikes came with trials tires on them. As a matter of fact, the Hodaka Wombat I had a few years ago, I restored with a NOS trials tire spec'd for the bike....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
BKKOffroad

Post by BKKOffroad »

I've recently read an article in "dirt Bike" mag I believe written by a guy here in Oregon that swears by a Michelin X11 Trials tire in the rear for the slopy wooded trails in Oregon. I guess that would translate to the stuff up there in WA as well (I used to live in Port Orchard and have ridden the trails in the Belfair area). This is not from personel experience as I haven't run the X11 (They are pretty pricey). I'll try to dig up the article and verify.
People who think money can't buy happiness don't know where to shop

I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Trials tires were out in force for the Sparkplug enduro at Belfair on Sunday. I am going to pick up a D803 Dunlop reat trials tire after I shred my S12 at the Desert100.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)