S. OR (The mythical State of Jefferson)

Reviews of riding areas...
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

S. OR (The mythical State of Jefferson)

Post by canyncarvr »

There are quite a few places to ride in this area. Here are brief descriptions of a couple.

John's Peak

This has been a riding area for decades. A mix of city government, MRA (MotorcycleRiderAssoc), BLM and locally owned (largely timber products companies) lands, this area has pretty much anything you want. Whether it's 48" width quad-able (that doesn't mean easy!) routes or single track there are miles and miles of trails in this area. It is open year-round except during extreme fire danger during the summer. That designation depends a WHOLE lot on weather, of course. Fire restrictions have been invoked as early as June and may last through October. More likely to be later August thru September.

This riding area is going to be pretty much disappearing real soon. BLM is overdue now on its EIS that will regulate riding in most of the area to 'closed unless posted open.' It is destined to be a 'managed' riding area. You know what that means...NO riding MOST places. I will guar-an-damn-tee you that a whole lot of riders will ignore the whole thing. No way the gov'mint is going to keep riders out with a sign that says 'closed.' But, be aware that in a very short time, this terrific riding area won't be 'legally' available anymore.

Better make it down here now!!!!

Elevations run from 17-4500'.

Prospect OHV system

This is in the Rogue/Siskiyou National Forest. There are hundreds of miles of trails/shared use road routes in this system. It generally opens the first part of July, closes for hunting season (Sep or Oct for a couple week?), then may well re-open, weather conditions permitting. You can count on most upper el. trails being blocked by snow until at least mid-July.

Most of the trails in this area are perfect for a quad..made with a SWECO (a trail building machine). There are a few single track trails...but not many. It is beautiful to ride..lots of nice views. A common route for us duing a riding day will run about 140 miles. We stash fuel 1/2 way through (along with some refreshment and lunch) the loop...ride all day!! There is not a single (one) track that you could consider at all 'expert' in tech...not close..but it's a lot of fun anyway.

Elevations run from 25-6500'el.

***note***
There are some .org type websites that have completely erroneous (uh...wrong?) information regarding access to these riding areas. If you are serious about coming down, don't hesitate to contact me.

ccmaint@peak.org

There are some pics of the Prospect OHV in my gallery.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 03:15 pm Feb 11 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I can endorse this riding area as well as CC's hospitality. Both are second to none.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ski..you gotta come up and ride Prospect this summer.

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Will do!!! Give me a window for dates to plan around.

Also, check this out.
http://www.sierratraildogs.com/

Doug and I are going to do the 2005 Nevada Mystery 250
It is a 250 mile, (125 each way) desert ride over 2 days. Cost includes all meals, portage of gas and equipment, etc. It's not a race, just a great 2 day ride on every type of trail you can imagine.

Doug is coming up next weekend (Oregon) to do more property research for retirement. Maybe he'll stop by if he's up your way? I'll ask.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Prospect opens up usually the first weekend in July. BUT...as noted...some of the best trails will be closed by snow until the end of the July, probably.

Probably late July/August?

I don't see a whole lot of descriptive info on that link. Sleep in the dirt? Start where, go where?

Man...that water looks bad for a lot of those guys!!!

I wanna go!!!!

I may be at the coast next weekend. Pondering that, anyway. Gotta get some 'couch' time! BANSSSssshhheeeeeeee........!!!!!!

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Entry fee includes:
- A Nevad Mystery 250 Commemorative T-shirt and hat
- Two days of trail riding in Nevada Desert
- A roll chart and GPS route downloads
- Poker Run
- Breakfast on Saturday
- BBQ lunch on the trail
- Hotel room in Hawthorne
- Saturday night buffet dinner
- Sunday morning buffet breakfast
- Welcome back BBQ in Wellington
- Raffle ticket
- Gas can and gear hauling both ways
- Sweep crew including a desert prerun truck
- Bottled water at all gas stops
- Opportunity to buy extra raffle tickets (7,000+ dollars in prizes)

Late July: Riding the street bike to either Glaciar National Park or to Durango Colorado.
August: Wife going to Thailand for 2 weeks so I will be "baching" it. That should be a good time for me. So I'll see you in August some time!!!
Last edited by skipro3 on 02:22 pm Feb 14 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think CC should invite us all up and provide plenty of eats, beverages and entertainment! Hell CC.... you only live once (I think) .... we can compare KX frontends and get drunker than snot! :partyman:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Tell you what...anytime anyone is interested in a tour-guide...or merely some entertainment watching me trying to keep up...y'all come down! Consider yourselfs invited.

M0rie's close by. He's gotta show up.

Mr. Wibbens might even have his bike fixed by then!! Nah...just kiddin' on THAT one!

What would be great is a time when both Johns Peak and Prospect were open. Riding in both places over a weekend would be something. That's not too likely, though. And this year...well, they're already complaining about fire season this year and how bad it's going to be.

Ski: As far as August and Prospect...pencil that in for sure! A couple years back, Prospect was closed (fire season) the third week in July!! Wow. Open for all of three weeks!!! So, it all depends!

Compare front-ends and drink too much? Hhhmmm....I might want to be in a separate (and far away) geographical region for that! :wink:

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Inda has a strange way of phrasing things. :shock:
But to his credit, he did qualify that to be "KX" front ends. But maybe that's just a pet name he's given his.

O.K. I'm on "hot standby" for a trip up there. I'll see if Doug wants to "entertain" us again and demonstrate how tough a KX500 is as well as how much gear he can trash without actually harming himself. That man can really auger himself into the ground, I'll tell you what!

Just an aside note, Doug decided to reinstall his stock clutch a few weeks ago when we rode Stonyford. It made him realize how badly he appreciated the auto clutch. This past weekend, (yesterday) we rode Mace Mill. He told me to lead and I know that means a 5 minute head start before he takes off to catch me. (Usually in about 15 minutes.) When he didn't show up, I called for him on the radio. seems his auto clutch wouldn't engage until he hit about 5000 RPM and then it would kick in like a light switch. Dropping the hammer on a KX500 at 5000 rpm must be exciting!!! Now this was on a blue trail but it had been raining so it was slick, downhill. When he got to me, we took the thing apart. Under the pressure plate was a steel clutch plate. I recognized this as a problem immediately but Doug didn't so I told him that it looked "strange". He didn't take the hint so he threw it back together, we made it back to the truck and he took it apart again. And again, he didn't see the problem. After dinking with the "survival" mode, (2 screws to lock up the clutch so it acts just like a bike with a broken clutch cable) and still having problems, he took it apart one more time. This time I suggested he take the clutch plates out to examine them. As he did, he laid them out, steel, fiber, steel, fiber, fiber, steel...... AHHHHH!!!!! Somehow he got the last few plates in backwards and since the inner hub is shorter than the outer basket, the final plate wasn't locking up causing the bike to slip like it was short one plate. Got it together and had a grand time flinging mud at each other on the trails.

If Wibby doesn't want to put his bike back together, lets get KAY DEE EXER over here to put it back right, then he'll have a ride with us, and do some parts shopping as well!!! Wib seems to think his DR650 is more fun anyway!!
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: Pet name... :rolleyes:

You're still tryin' to sell me on one'a those clutches, huh!! Someday (maybe) you'll let me ride a bike that has an auto clutch so I can check it out!

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

canyncarvr wrote: Compare front-ends and drink too much? Hhhmmm....I might want to be in a separate (and far away) geographical region for that! :wink:
CC.... it's big.... but come on! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'm game for a trip up your way this summer, heck might even have a new iron horse by then... :wink: (or at least have the rest of the "little annoyances" fixed on my current one by then) Pin down a date and let me know so I can plan on it.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E