Any good riding areas???

Reviews of riding areas...
dirtbikelogan

Any good riding areas???

Post by dirtbikelogan »

Hey guys,
I live in the North part of Washington (by Seattle) and was wondering if anyone knew of any extra special (for lack of a better phrase) riding area. I currently have ridden at Reiter Pit, Tahoya, Walker Valley, and Olympic forests (quite a bit). Let me know what you think.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I just spent 2 days at Capitol forest. Great terrain. Very tight and technical stuff. Many miles of trails to explore. It would be a bit of a drive from Seattle, but worth it.
'
dirtbikelogan

Post by dirtbikelogan »

DEFENIENTLY!!! ....thats what I meant when I said Olympic Forest. It's actually not that bad of a drive at all for me....about 1 1/2 hours and it is always tons of fun.....I usually go to Straddeline...where do you go? I just went on Sunday and it was awesome!!! :supz:
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

My brother and I camped at Middle Waddel. We rode Monday and Tuesday. Great stuff. We did not get over to Straddeline, but want to explore over in that direction.

I heard Mt. Adams was good stuff as well, but I dont know with the fire up there this year.
'
dirtbikelogan

Post by dirtbikelogan »

Ah ya.....gotcha there. But hey, if you like camping then Straddeline is awesome. Just drive there and its like an enclosed campground. There is a full size MX track, a mini one too, and some forest land that this Straddeline place owns. But it's all enclosed and perfect for camping. Also, you can ride out of the campground up into the Capitol forest too. Per person, it's ten bucks a day I think or twenty if you want to use the track. Anyway, its defeniently worth checking out in my opinion. Here is a link to their website: http://www.straddlelineraceway.com/ :supz:
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Thanks for the link. It looks like a cool area. Just wondering what the terrain is like over there compared to Middle Waddel? We also did not get to ride anything west of Capitol Peak. Have you ridden in that area?

I enjoy the tight twisty terrain, but was wondering if some of it opened up at all or if the whole area is 1st-3rd stuff?

It took us just over 2 hours to get to the campground from Portland, so not too bad a drive.
'
dirtbikelogan

Post by dirtbikelogan »

Sure, and it's tight and technical at times but there is a very wide variety of riding trails. The only other place that I have been in capitol forest is Rock Candy and I did a 33 mile poker run there which was awesome! Also, the trails that Straddeline owns in their part of the forest aren't that big but they are such a blast to ride. Last time my dad and I went riding (last Sunday) the guy told us that there were some telephone line roads, which I don't know if you've been on those before but they are a blast. We weren't able to find them though! :sad: ..... Anyway it's pretty fun up there. :lol:
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Gifford has some really good ridng. That is real close to Mt Adams. Then there is Taneum (South Cle Elum) Devils Gulch up by Blewitt pass, etc....
There is a possibility that Tahuya might be shut down permanently to riding. The DNR is running out of funds because our wonderful governor has taken (stolen) all of the nova funds that help support our sport. There is a thread over on thumpertalk in the NW section that made me aware of it. there will be a meeting at the Belfair community library this Thursday the 3rd at 7pm. I will be there to find out what the scoop is.
Little jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

That would be aweful.

I have not been there, but a lot of folks love that place and it seems like a good place to ride during winter months due to good drainage.

BTW, I rode Capitol yesterday and we had an terrible day! We staged out of Rock Candy and there is no signage telling you that all access to the west is shut down due to landslides. We guessed and rode down a gravel road for several miles until we came to some trials that were close to Middle Waddell.

We somehow ended up on the west side of Rock Candy and could not find a way back to the staging area unless you go all the way back to the Waddell stuff. There is a road closed sign, but the trail signs state closed from Nov1-May1 and the powerline run has no sign at all. We took over 2 hrs. going down every road, trail and even some unmarked stuff looking for a way to the staging area. At one point we got passed the slides, through the creek, and then came upon a small strip of private property under the powerlines! We could see our rig, but couldnt get to it!

Very frustrating day and many others stated the same at the staging area. I cant believe no one has posted some info at Rock Candy with instructions on where you can ride and what is not passable.

Anyway, I am sticking to the Burn here in my neck of the woods for now.
'
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Just found out today, that Tahuya will not be shutting down, Just a big rumor. I was just telling everybody here what I read over on thumpertalk. So we are still on for out ride in late Sept. or early Oct. I'll keep in contact with you firffighter
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.