Hatfield McCoy trails. I make the trip to WV

Reviews of riding areas...
BJH
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Hatfield McCoy trails. I make the trip to WV

Post by BJH »

If you ride in the East you have got to make the trip to Hatfield and McCoys in West Virginia. You will never be able to cover all of the trails. Everything from Jeep trails to three legged goat trails.
They let you ride on the street too. Ride straight from the motel to the trails. It has got to be one of the best ORV parks in the country. Take a GPS if you have one. Be able to read a map and pay attention if you don't. The trails are VERY extensive. :rolleyes:
http://www.trailsheaven.com/
________
VAPORIZER SHOP
Last edited by BJH on 08:01 am Feb 17 2011, edited 1 time in total.
wezza83

Post by wezza83 »

Im going in April and can't wait!
mattR

Post by mattR »

Did my first trip there for 5 days near the end of April 06. Had a blast riding 80 - 100 miles per day and the people down ther are as laid back as it gets.

Make sure to check their event dates. There is always a lot of quads, but we over-lapped with a quad festival and there was a even more than usual. Not a problem once we got away from the trail heads, but there was a lot of em to go around in the the first few miles.
97 KDX 220
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by blimpman »

My wife & I went on a quick trip down to Southern West Virginia and Rode the Buffalo Mtn and Pinnacle Creek trails.
Here are some pictures. Could not take the KDX due to having to ride at least 9 miles to get to the trail head. I rode my WR250R and my wife rode the XT225. The KDX would have been a blast for sure.

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e158/ ... 3169a4.pbw
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

It's nice that your wife goes riding with you . . .

Which did you think was better: Pinnacle creek or Buffalo Mtn?

Why wouldn't the KDX make it the 9 miles?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by blimpman »

Pinnacle Creek was better for beginners and I saw alot more of the trails there.

It's not that the KDX would not make it 9 miles, but rather we explored and rode the backcountry roads (pavement) for hundreds of miles during the week. My KDX is a barely street legal dirt bike with soft knobby tires (Michelin S-12). It would have toasted them on the road. Plus the gas situation in rural West Virginia is sketchy... Not many of them and many of the gas stations did not even have anything but low octane gas ( 86-87) I need premium. I towed my bikes with a passenger car and a small trailer. Carrying premix with me would not have worked well.

It was a fun trip. Buffalo Mtn is much more steep in places and tougher for new riders. I'd like to ride the rest of the trails but I'd need a week or 10 days to do it right. If you rode an ATV ( which the trails were designed for) a beginner could ride just about anywhere. Falling off a bike on the rocky ground would be a serious problem at any speed. I only saw 9 other people on the trails the entire 4 days of riding. We rode about 85 miles of trails.
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
KDXUFO

Post by KDXUFO »

Just got back from there 12th,13th & 14th. Not long enough. We had a blast, 3 bikes YZ250F, GasGas 300 & KDX 200. We wore BuffaloMoutain out. It was so much fun wa didn't wanna leave, can't wait to go back and check out more trails. :supz: KDXUFO
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

We were up @ indian ridge this summer. It was a great trip. We covered about 120 miles of trail in a day and a half of riding.
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

I have taken extra vacation days in May and September of 2010. Hopefully going (and taking the ol' man) to H & M. I am not an experienced rider but TOTALLY enjoyed H & M last summer of '09.
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly