Lost Trails ATV/Dirtbike Park has Re-Opened!

Reviews of riding areas...
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Lost Trails ATV/Dirtbike Park has Re-Opened!

Post by 92kdxRider »

Here's a quote straight form the website.

"Our new location provides for a wide variety of Terrain changing trails; from mild to wild including steep switchbacks, scenic ridges, crazy potato fields, boulder crawls, mud runs and of course those meandering lazy trails we all love, together with some of the most breath taking vistas the Pocono Mountains has to offer.

We are doing all that we can to make sure your Trail Adventures are nothing short of the best. We want to make our park fun for the whole family.

We have met so many wonderful people that have visited us in the past; people from different backgrounds, clubs, nationalities and cultures. These people all have one great thing in common, the love of Trail Riding."

Link to Website: http://www.ridelosttrails.com/

The new location is 2,000 acres of property, just a couple miles east of Scranton off of I-380. Its $35 for a daily pass, $250 for one rider for a season pass. They offer discounts on the daily and season passes if you ride with more than one person. I think if you bring 8-14 riders you can get daily passes for $30 each, if your doing a season pass for two people its $350.

They just opened at the new location on May 7th, this past weekend. This upcoming weekend I've made up my mind i'm going on Sunday May 15th, hell or high water I'll be there. If anyone else on this forum would also like to come, please let me know. Its the only decent place I know of within a 2 hour drive of my town. If I really enjoy it, you can bet i'll be getting a season pass cause its hard to find anything like this anymore.
billyp10980
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by billyp10980 »

I just looked at that place. Less then 2 hour ride for me. I can't go this weekend though. I'm going to do a hare scramble at Broome Tioga on the 15th. I am interested in taking a day trip over there in the near future though.
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

I'm definitely going Sunday, pending weather now unfortunately. They're calling for a 50 percent chance of rain when I checked earlier today. Also calling for rain Thurs, Fri and Saturday. I'm going to keep an eye on the forecast and hope that it doesn't rain Sunday. When I actually spend a day there I'll report back and give an overall review of the facilities. Only thing is with all the rain we'll be getting/have been getting here, its probably going to be pretty muddy if I do end up going on Sunday. Oh well, its a dirt bike, its suppose to get dirty haha :supz:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Sweet, let us know how it is! Tower City is closer to me, but is members only.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

Looks like I might not be able to go this weekend. Every time I check the weather for Sunday, the chance of rain gets higher and higher. Right now it says 80% for Scranton which is near Lost Trails, and 60% at my town in NJ. I'll keep checking and pray that the rain shifts to either later Sunday night or Monday morning. :neutral:
GCE61

Post by GCE61 »

Hey 92kdxrider,

Did ya ever go? It was a freakin MONSOON here in Randolph on Sunday!

Just curious what you thought of the new location if you did go. We used to go to the old Lost Trails, and also a place in Scranton which "closed" due to putting up an Industrial Park.

Let me know what you thought!
Thanks,
Greg
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

Yeah I ended up not going on Sunday :sad:

Its probably a good thing cause I went out Friday with a friend for a little over an hour and realized my bike needs a little more work before i can take it anywhere. My expansion pipes leaking and my radiators spewing coolant out of the nipple because I am without a overflow bottle and hoses. My sub frame brace on the left side is also missing. I've got the overflow and sub frame brace coming from Ebay, and a brand new FMF Fatty pipe coming Friday from a local cycle shop.

It wasn't raining too bad for very long here, but the weather near Scranton on Sunday I think was nothing but rain. If all my parts get here on time i'll be making another attempt to go to Lost Trails this weekend. Wish me luck. :neutral:
GCE61

Post by GCE61 »

ha ha,

I just checked the link and that's the same are we rode until they put up an Industrial Park. Get in touch with me and we'll all make a road trip!!
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

Greg,

Just sent ya and e-mail. Check your mail when you can. If we keep in touch hopefully we can plan something soon. I'm itching to get out there, that little hour ride I did on Friday was too much pushing my bike and not enough riding! lol :lol:
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

Okay update: I went to Lost Trails today Sunday May 22nd with a buddy from work and his son. Both on quads, one Banshee and one 400ex. I was the lone 2 wheeler in our group.

First Impressions: The parking lot was pretty full when we got there, it got more crowded as the day went on but not too packed. Its not too far from my town, its about a 1hr and 30 min drive. The check in (where you sign waivers, pay and get a trail map) is inside this crazy building where Warhorse customs is, apparently they do all kinds of custom motorcycles, dirt bikes, quads and all that. Not to mention that building is next to what appears to be a huge dealership housing lots of big names like Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris etc. Definitely would make for some exciting down time during the week when both places are open. Was very happy they had two Port-a-Pottys, I hadn't pissed since before I left.

Thoughts on the Trail Map: When we got the map it seemed like it was pretty well organized. It was all in black and white, and all the trails were numbered. There were arrows indicating which trails are one way, and which are two way. There were markings of where certain land marks or destinations are. To the right of the map is a legend telling you each trail numbers level of difficulty. Green is easy, Blue is Intermediate, Red is difficult and Black was Expert. As of today, there were no trails on the map marked Black or Expert difficulty. There were alot of trail numbers under the "Green" easy label, 9 numbers in total. Theres only two numbers each of Blue an Red trails, read on to see what I think of this rating system.

The three of us were definitely having problems navigating using the map. The trails on the map are all numbered. The signs/arrows on the actual trail are not, they are colored for level of difficulty. Some are also labeled as "home" trail or "top of the world" or whatever other destination or land mark the trail leads to. One thing to consider though is the trail systems are still in there infancy, and so is the map. Once they have everything finalized I'm sure the map will be color coded and not numbered. Or maybe they'll number the trail signs to correspond with the map. Another qualm I had with the map and or difficulty designations was they were in consistent. The Red trail that leads to the "top of the world" destination (a trail that goes up a mountain thats 2,200 ft above sea level, very awesome view and worth the ride) was much easier than the "Blue" trails you have to take to get to the "Red" trails. Alot of the "Green" trails were so rocky that, in my opinion, they should've been Blue trails.

Thoughts and Description of Trail System: The entrance to the trail head is pretty easy, other than the fact that the majority of the first 500 feet is all loose, freshly laid gravel. If you're on a quad, this is no big deal, on a dirt bike its a different story. Not exactly something you want to come home to after a long ride, getting bounced around on the way to the parking lot. For the most part I noticed all the trails currently marked were designed more for ATV's than anything else. There's no need for us to worry though, theres at least 3 or 4 sections of Dirt bike only single track in the works according to the owner.

The general terrain was ROCKY and MUDDY! Atleast the trails we did today were. I was expecting mud and soup with all the rain our area's been getting, but not as much as we encountered. There's a mud bog at the first trail section that encompasses whats called the "Boneyard". Its a small network of trails right inside the mouth of the trailhead that are all "green" easy trails. The mud and rocks made them Blue trails in certain spots. We didn't play in the mudpit as none of us had 4x4 and didnt' feel like getting stuck. The trails that lead out into the property all stem from the "main" road and from the "Boneyard" section. Overall I felt that most of the trails we rode were either intermediate or hard, with a few easy ones in between. Regardless of how the difficulty was labeled, thats what it felt like for me. Without a doubt the rain and muddy/soupy/wet conditions added substantially to the difficulty level, although I believe even in dry conditions some of the Green and Blue trails are so rocky they should be labeled Red or expert.

In closing: I had an absolute blast. Did trails that last year I probably would've not done or completed without falling (only fell once, but in a mudpit), went through mud puddles and pits that would get most 2 wheelers stuck, overcame my fear of rocky terrain and did a few creek crossings that were pretty hard. This park is HUGE btw. We only went to 2 out of the 6 or 7 destinations/landmarks on the map and we rode from 10:30 to 4:30pm, with a lunch break from 12:30-1:15. Many many trails to go and as I said before the trail system is still growing and probably won't be completely finished for another year or so. I think it will get better with time, the more people ride the system, and the more trails they cut it'll just get better and better. Despite all my gripes everything was still very doable and alot of fun. Definitely not a place for somebody who hates rocky terrain though. I'll be going back, but not until the ground dries up a little bit. I can deal with the hot weather in the absence of all the mud. I hope this helps you guys out, and I hope to see a few of you here at some point. Its definitely worth the drive.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Great review. I definitely want to check this area out some time.

Is there any camping available on site or nearby?

Regarding trail difficulty, is there any chance a novice 9 year old on a KLX 110 won't be hating life after two miles if we're selective about where we ride?

Thanks!
David Eckel
GCE61

Post by GCE61 »

Sounds great, I'm glad Tony & Leslie opened a new place! Ace, your right, that's some rocky riding up there. We have riden the Marshall reservoir area for the past 4 yrs and it's a rough rocky day, with steep technical trails as the rule.

With 4" of rain last week and a predicted 5" of rain this week the area should be a soupy mess. I'd say let er dry out a week and we should be good to go.
Last edited by GCE61 on 03:28 pm May 24 2011, edited 1 time in total.
GCE61

Post by GCE61 »

" is there any chance a novice 9 year old on a KLX 110 won't be hating life after two miles"

at the old Park there were planty of "access" areas where my kids loved to ride around on. Some little hilly jumps and stuff, and fairly smooth. They had a blast.

One of the first times we all went out, my youngest son was about 7. He was scared shitless to follow all of us brothers and uncles thru the woods.

We found a large flat area about 1 acre square that had a bunch of mud puddles. We spent the WHOLE day doing wheelies thru the puddles, drag racing against the little kids, and laughing like schoolgirls! The kids had a blast driving thru the mud and I really think it was a day that ingrained how much fun you can have on a bike in the woods.
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

>|<>QBB<
dfeckel wrote:Great review. I definitely want to check this area out some time.

Is there any camping available on site or nearby?

Regarding trail difficulty, is there any chance a novice 9 year old on a KLX 110 won't be hating life after two miles if we're selective about where we ride?

Thanks!
Yeah theres a chance a 9 year old won't be hating life, certain spots aren't that bad and we did see quite a few youngsters on quads and dirtbikes. Like you said though, you'd have to be very selective about the trails you ride on, especially right now with all the mud and soupyness out there. Like Greg said, it might be best to wait a couple weeks and give the ground a chance to dry up. The "Boneyard" section thats right at the beginning of the trailhead, encompassing probably 4-8 different trails in a small area, is probably your best bet for a younger novice rider.
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

>|<>QBB<
GCE61 wrote:Sounds great, I'm glad Mike & Leslie opened a new place! Ace, your right, that's some rocky riding up there. We have riden the Marshall reservoir area for the past 4 yrs and it's a rough rocky day, with steep technical trails as the rule.

With 4" of rain last week and a predicted 5" of rain this week the area should be a soupy mess. I'd say let er dry out a week and we should be good to go.
Leslie was actually at the Check In office and seemed extremely happy and excited to be at this new location. I guess it was Mike then that was riding around the parking lot later in the day. He actually stopped and talked to us "Look at you guys, looks like you had a good day" lol All three of us were covered pretty heavily with mud. Very nice people, and for the most part every one of the riders we met on the trail was very kind and thoughtful.

My work buddy Rich and I were talking today and we were both extremely sore, but definitely willing to go back because we had a blast. Rich also rode the old Lost Trails property and said this new set up is already larger and has alot more potential to have even more trails and blow the old location out of the water. Like you said Greg, lets let the ground dry up a bit, but when it does I'm ready to roll. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I can't wait till they cut some single track, dirt bike only trails. That'll really seal the deal for me.
GCE61

Post by GCE61 »

Let me correct myself, it's Tony not Mike, duh. They are great folks.
I can't wait to plan a trip.

It looks like the parking lot is paved?
And the best part is there's plenty of fast food places close by!! There's also a hotel withing a few miles IIRC. We did a couple 2 day events at the old areas. I'm not sure about camping sites or how close they are.
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

>|<>QBB<
GCE61 wrote:Let me correct myself, it's Tony not Mike, duh. They are great folks.
I can't wait to plan a trip.

It looks like the parking lot is paved?
And the best part is there's plenty of fast food places close by!! There's also a hotel withing a few miles IIRC. We did a couple 2 day events at the old areas. I'm not sure about camping sites or how close they are.
Yes the parking lot is paved, its pretty large but I could tell this past Sunday it wouldn't take long to fill it. There were alot of people there on sunday and it was probably 3/4's of the way filled. I'm sure if it was to get filled to capacity they would either not allow new riders in that day or arrange some sort of alternate parking area. Camping sites I'm unsure of as well, it would be really cool to do that though. I'm pretty sure i saw some camping info on the website though, check that out.
dan46n2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dan46n2 »

A buddy of mine just started riding this year on a CRF230F and I told him about LT being relatively close to us (~2hrs) so we're thinking of taking a ride down next month.

His schedule is really weird (7 day schedule, 1 weekend off a month) so I have to plan around that but we were thinking a Monday would be good since it might cut down on the # of people there that day. I might even be able to turn it into a 2 day (Sunday & Monday) depending on funds and weather...

His next available weekend puts us at going either September 18th (Sunday) or September 19th (Monday).

Anybody else want to consider meeting up there on Monday September 19th?
dan46n2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dan46n2 »

My buddy just confirmed that we're a "GO" for the 19th at Lost Trails.
I told him to invite any of his friends from work that also ride.
I'd invite my friends, 'cept I don't have any :(
dan46n2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dan46n2 »

Went to LT yesterday.
I had never ridden somewhere as rocky as this. Reminded me of hiking in the Adirondacks. Spent most of my riding working on going slow and choosing the lines that I felt would help me to avoid pinch flats. Was running 8-9psi in both tires and the rear I have on (a crappy cheng shin) is so narrow and flexible that I was sure I'd end up with a flat at some point. Never did though so that was good.
Trails were decent, most are double track and you can see how bad the quads just rip things up when there's even the slightest bit of water present.
The one single track trail was ok, but was pretty short. Rode that a couple times. Will be alot better when there's more bike-only trails.

My buddy who had never ridden anywhere other than his 10 acre plot did pretty good and got a bunch more confident in riding different terrain, so that was good.

All in all, a decent place to go if you've nothing better to do but if you're looking for single-track then there are surely better options if you already find yourself having to drive a distance to get to a riding place.