Hatfield & McCoy ride 2011!

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

what is the art of riding DOWNHILL??!!! rear brake and what else? (besides balance ... )
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

At some point we will need to form the #199 group. First, we will need a 151 group, then a 176 group, then there should be a few left for the 188 group, and then the extremely diminished #199 group will be formed. The direction of that video is how I did it last year and being used to the new england rocks it wasn't too tough.

How can you take all that time to hunt for a video of the trail, make a post on here then embed it into the post just to not ride it when you go down there???
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
sped66 wrote:Found a recent vid from #199. Doesn't look so bad riding down it? I still doubt I'll brave it.

[youtube][/youtube]
Ever notice pictures/video seldom seem to really capture things as they are in reality?

#199 and similar - just not worth it. So there's at least two of us that'll be taking the other way 'round!!
Last edited by Jeb on 12:41 pm May 04 2011, edited 2 times in total.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:At some point we will need to form the #199 group. First, we will need a 151 group, then a 176 group, then there should be a few left for the 188 group, and then the extremely diminished #199 group will be formed. The direction of that video is how I did it last year and being used to the new england rocks it wasn't too tough.
Ron, I'm bringing extra bandages, splints and ice just for you!
2001kdx wrote:How can you take all that time to hunt for a video of the trail, make a post on here then embed it into the post just to not ride it when you go down there???
I believe us older fellas refer to that as "wisdom", LOL!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
KDX Butterfly wrote:what is the art of riding DOWNHILL??!!! rear brake and what else? (besides balance ... )
It's not art at all Kirsten, and I can state that despite not being that good of a rider, so here's my personal observation . . .

clutch pulled in, body weight rearward, and a good dose of FRONT brake, some rear brake to assist. The front brake is where the stopping power is, just like on a car and why you'll see cars with disc brakes in the front, drums on the rear.

Things seem to get out of hand much more easily when I rely totally on the rear brake on downhills. This past weekend we did some riding at a private farm and some of the downhills were slick enough that the back end was sliding and wanting to come our from underneath. I was relying heavily on the front brake, enough that my forks were partially compressed. No sliding and great stopping power . . . me thinks all that weight bearing down makes the front tire dig better.

Yeah, using the front brake starts to become tedious when it gets really slippery . . . but then if you're going down a steep hill that's really slippery you need a little luck anyway!!

CLICK FOR PICS!
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:How can you take all that time to hunt for a video of the trail, make a post on here then embed it into the post just to not ride it when you go down there???
I stumbled onto the vid in another forum. Took all of 20 seconds to post it here. :rolleyes:
2001kdx, my heart is trying to talk me into doing #199 just so I can say I did. My head is saying I'll have plenty of fun on other trails & have nothing to prove.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Just and FYI, when I was driving through Gilbert a few weeks ago, my ATT cell phone had no service. Basically functioned as a paper weight.

Service did not resume until we were 30 minutes out.

Hopefully someone in our group will have a non-ATT phone!
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Verizon here, had service in Gilbert last year if that means anything. Weather is looking so-so for our stay but that may change when a few days go by.

Varmint, or after last sunday, Wheelie Master, I'm not sure when I'm leaving yet, but if I was to show up thursday morning would you be able to add me to your group of riding for the day?
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Sure. We're all going to ride together! I'm sure the group will break up for guys that want to try some technical stuff and those that just want to cruise. I'll be doing some of both.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
Varmint wrote:Just and FYI, when I was driving through Gilbert a few weeks ago, my ATT cell phone had no service. Basically functioned as a paper weight.

Service did not resume until we were 30 minutes out.

Hopefully someone in our group will have a non-ATT phone!
AT&T works up on the peaks in some places
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Sounds like Thrusday most will be there. We are getting there on Wednesday night ,late. Will be ready to ride, Thrusday morning.
What time and where for a meet and greet for who is there. :supz:

We will be at the Larry Joe Harless campground.
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

OK so it looks like the CT crew, IT175's crew and myself are in the 10+ hour drive club and we will all be arriving wednesday PM and riding thursday AM.... JEB's crew is set to arrive early afternoon thursday for a possible ride thursday PM, that's all I know so far. Everyone else chime in with their ETA's!!!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I'm in the 10 hour range and leaving sometime Tuesday pm arriving on Wednesday morning ready to ride !

Varmint when you arriving ?

Is anyone bringing any cooking utensils coffee maker gas grill
ect ??
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Were going to bring a Forman and a hot plate, some utensils and extension cords. My little propane grill is shot. I think Jim is bringing a coffee maker. We could always buy a throw away charcoal grill if needed. We will probably bring enough food/bevrages to get by on the first day, and hit the store Friday.
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
TWMOODY wrote:I'm in the 10 hour range and leaving sometime Tuesday pm arriving on Wednesday morning ready to ride !

ect ??
Tom your driving through the night???
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

>|<>QBB<
Rick wrote:Were going to bring a Forman and a hot plate, some utensils and extension cords. My little propane grill is shot. I think Jim is bringing a coffee maker. We could always buy a throw away charcoal grill if needed. We will probably bring enough food/bevrages to get by on the first day, and hit the store Friday.
I wish I could go even if allz i did wuz cook fer y'allz. :)
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

One of my crew dropped out, so I'm down to just me & my bud atm. If anyone decides to make this trip at the last minute, I have room at the lodge. We'll arrive early afternoon on Friday with a big bag of charcoal for weenie roasts... though I aim to mostly eat at the local restaurants this go round. I guess we'll ride a few hours after we get there & catch up with you fellers Fri evening. (My KDX is #660 if you see me on the trails.) Aiming to ride with y'all on Saturday for sure.
We'll need firewood if we want a campfire?!
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

I'm pretty sure our cabin has a good size parking lot conducive for a meeting spot. The CT crew will be arriving between 4-6 pm Wednesday.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:>|<>QBB<
TWMOODY wrote:I'm in the 10 hour range and leaving sometime Tuesday pm arriving on Wednesday morning ready to ride !

ect ??
Tom your driving through the night???

Yep driving through the night.
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

The KY crew should be there around 3pm Thursday. We will be in Jim's black Ridgeline, hauling my white enclosed trailer that we brought last year. #5 on the side, and on the bike if we meet in the trails. Getting pumped! :supz:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM