Prospect

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Prospect

Post by skipro3 »

O.K. CC. I'm ready to hear plans for this ride. Let me know when I need to be up there and where we are going to meet, etc. Will it be camping locally? A one day ride? Commute from your place? Provide details please.

And to m0rie, and all the other guys out west, don't be left behind this time! This could be (wait, make that WILL be) an epic event. I'll be there so must be epic! Ha!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Bring a tent, lots of beer, skeeter repellent, extra gas and extra gas can, lots of beer, some of them PIES I missed out on :cry: dust mask, lots of beer....

Too bad we can't ride up there right now!

I took the Strom up by there yesturday, nice and moist, not to hot, not too cold, but the skeeters HUGE!

Oh and I went to Crater Lake!

http://wibby.smugmug.com/gallery/564822/1/23528415

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

For the record: Prospect opens 7/4. A couple of the better (higher) trails will still be snowed in then. When I say 'snowed in', I'm not talking about having to deal with a drift here and there. Last year I spent a couple hours trying to get through '...this one last spot of snow'. Gave up.

So...probably a bit later than the first of July. Things change fast up there that time of year.

It's a bit of a trek from my place..an hour & 1/2 or so. If it's going to be a two day deal (or more) camping up there is a better idea. There is a store (Union Creek) about fifteen miles down the road. Or...we could CAMP at Union Creek. There is a staging area right next to Union Creek Campground. Couple years back, the camp host was an ass. Had some problems with ATVs and what '..in the campground' meant. The host sic'd an LEO on us because the machines were off the trailer. The LEO interrupted dinner (in the dark) to tell us we had to load the machines onto the trailer. Further griping (by me) got the dictate from the district supervisor: 'You cannot operate an ATV in the campground. To get an ATV off the trailer, you had to touch it..that constitutes 'operating' it.' What an ass.

It's kind of a catch-22. We can camp on the North end, but that limits some access because of fuel requirements. We can camp at Union Creek (not only a store, but a restaurant is within walking distance, too!), but will be doing some loading/unloading probably. Actually, I'm kind'a itching for a ticket from some damn tree-frog just so I can make a stink out of their 'touching is operating' dictim.

Heck. We'll do it all! We'll stay at Union Creek. One day we'll stash some gas, stage at the north end, ride a 130 mile loop. Day two, we'll stage by the campground and ride some of the south stuff we won't see on the long ride.

We could do a Saturday/Sunday thing like Johns Peak was 5/20. The loop out of the Campground is a whole lot shorter than the 'Big Loop' is! :wink:

Yeah.. Count on dust!

Sound like a deal? Lucille?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

What's an LEO? Law Enforcement Officer?

I had something like that happen to me in a state park once. My bike was off the trailer and parked near my tent. Barney Fife decided that it was in an area not designated for ohv's. It was late at night as we sat around the campfire, and he came in from my right side. We were with a group from my son's preschool. I told Barney to put his one bullet back into his pocket and write the tiicket, then go away; he was bothering me. He came closer and unsnapped the stap holding his pistol in to it's holster. I stood and by the campfire light, faced him so he could see the 44 magnum in the shoulder holster I had on my left side. I told him that I said write the ticket and leave, I will move the bike in the morning after the childern are awake. He backed away but in the dark, he tripped and fell over a stump. His gun came out of it's holster, not being strapped in, and went into the bush some were. He didn't notice but I did; the campfire light was at my advantage. I still have that pistol. It was worth the cost of the ticket, plus some.
My guess is he later discovered his gun was gone and was too shook up about that to bother me anymore!
That was almost 25 years ago. I don't think I'd do that again, but when you're a pup, you sometimes growl at a big dog and get away with it.
Last edited by skipro3 on 02:48 pm May 31 2005, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Oh,, yes, riding.....
It all sounds great!!! I'm ready to go and have tons of camping gear.
Jerry

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Wow Ski, I thought my police-car-burning-down-while-he-wrote-me-a-ticket story was good, yours is much better! :lol:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yea, I got a real cool souviner out of the deal. The other pre-school parents were a bit shocked I had that gun strapped under my vest though. We never were invited to functions after that.

O.K, I'll bite, tell me the police car story!!!!
Jerry

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Yeah I want to hear this one too Mike.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Oh, and who would wanna ride in a dump like that anyway. :mrgreen:

wish I could.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Long long time ago I wreck my van while I'm moving across state. I fell asleep at the wheel, it was a single vehicle accident. Everything I own is inside, I have no job. I total the van, lose nearly all my stuff. Ambulance comes and wraps me up, but if they don't transport me they can't charge me. So I say bye to them (I was broke) and the cop adds insult to injury by telling me he has to write me up for losing control of a motor vehicle. We're sitting in his car parked in the tall dry grass on the side of the road when I see what might be steam coming from the front of the cop car. I ask "is that normal?" and he says "we always write these up" I look over and he's just looking down at his ticket pad. I tell him about the outside world and by then there are yellow flames around the hood. He freaks, I bail, he calls for fire dept, but the car just goes up. About that time my girlfreind shows up to see me wrapped up like a mummy (I got an aquarium broken over my head) and a cop car burning. She thought I did something stupider than I had, but resqued me just the same. I ended up at a hospital later on. That was my most exciting 4th of July. :cry:
Mike

'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Great stories!! Dang....you guys have all the fun!

It would be worth the trip just to listen to Ski tell some of his stories! He's got a million of 'em, and they're all great!

CM, you can come riding in this dump-`o-the-woods any time! :wink:

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Update!
My youngest son called me this evening to let me know he is coming up for a visit begining the 4th of July weekend. While this, in and of itself doesn't preclude me attending any ride, it does force me to establish priorities. Of course riding comes first...NOT! I can't wait for the boy to come home for a visit so I won't be attending any ride at least that weekend. Towards the end of the month, I'm going to Idaho to visit family and tour on my road bike along the way. Again, not a deal buster, just that I don't have fixed plans for that quite yet.
I guess what I'm saying is that when my window of opportunity opens to ride Prospect, I'm taking it! There just won't be a ton of fore warning.
I don't expect anyone to change their schedule just cause I'm so popular! Ha! So when I have a firm date, and if you can't make it, don't hesitate to say so. There will be other times and places for sure.
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Other than a couple of reserve seat Britt tickets to Poco and Pure Prairie League on July 23, you name it.

I'll take some time off the job if something other than the weekend 'has to' happen.

Prospect has been open in August, too. A big political SNAFU, natch...but the ranger of the district kept it open all through fire season last year. It's all about OHV sitcker money and the people paying it to that district saying, 'Hey! Why are we paying you so much money to be open three weeks out of the year? Change your plan or lose the money!'

Gee. He changed his plan!!! Imagine that! Ranger King is his name..he's actually on 'our' side! The Ranger of the Winema (to the East) says, 'No bikes, nowhere, no way, ever.'

And that is related to this thread....how?

In absolutely no way at all. :roll:

Keep in touch!

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

BUMP
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Hey Ski!

Are you coming up this weekend?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My son is coming for the holiday weekend so unless he calls to cancel, I guess I have to say no. (That hurt!)
Jerry

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Hey Ski, when you gonna ride Prospect? (hell, when am I gonna?)

Got a call from Carvr, telling me to get my but up there today !
But I did not recieve it until 5am this morning after pulling a 14hr shift, ugh! :mad:

So he's up there riding the 130 mile loop all by his self, lucky ol' fart!

I wonder if he left any beer at the halfway point???

Hmmm, might have to ride the strom up there .....
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I wish I woulda just taken off and gone. I was on-call for a SONET cut-over this weekend but due to the heat, they cancelled it. It's gonna cost 'em though; 4 hours of doubletime to stand-by for Saturday and Sunday.

Still I would rather have been riding. When they cancelled, I scrambled and hopped on the Voyager and took a 3 hour ride up into the mountains for a ride before it got too hot. I was up and on the road by 7am. It was 83 degrees. When I got home at 10:30 am it was 105 degrees. Whew!!!!!!!!!!!! Doggies!!!! That is hot!!! I cowered on the couch with a beer the rest of the day. Even made the little woman go outside to get the newspaper.
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Prospect ride is on for the Left Coast!

Ski said, 'Yep'

m0rie said, 'Keep me posted'

And wibby...is WIBBY the one that stole my beer LAST time???? Well, wibby knows about it, too.

Stay tuned as specific plans develop. Looks like a 2-day ride..probably Sat/Sun. Campin' at Prospect.

C'ya!

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'll see if Joe wants to come

Are you out there Joe?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))