Late September Hatfield & McCoy . . . Maybe?

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Late September Hatfield & McCoy . . . Maybe?

Post by Jeb »

Who would like to come?

Late September - after it starts to cool off but before too many leaves start dropping.

A 3-day weekend camping in the mountains when the temps are relatively balmy. Ride up Friday AM, ride Friday PM, Saturday, Sunday AM. Which weekend? September 25-27 or Oct 2-4 maybe but that's certainly subject to the attendees desires.

For those who already have an '09 sticker riding is free! Camping is relatively cheap although we might pick another place if we hit Bearwallow . . . which, BTW, is the place on which I'll cast my personal vote!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

You know i'll be in if at all possible! A small cabin would be great, I think. No set up or tear down time=more riding! Just a thought. It might be easier. Are there any cabins around there Jim?
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hmmmm...... :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

It would be great to have you Vince! And Kirsten and Maybe Mike too if they could swing it.... I know it is a big haul for you guys though..... Think about it.
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I was up at indian ridge this weekend for 3 days. Great riding, but the accommodations were crap. the $75 a night "cabin" was a shack split into a duplex with three beds and a tv crammed in there. Not bad, but I'd rather have a cheap camp site and pitch a tent. I ended up sleeping in the truck anyway.

I'll keep an eye on this on the chance I'm able to get up that way again next month or so. We had 8 guys up there, I'm sure at least half of them will be up for going back in a month or so. I'll look into Bearwallow too, havn't seen a map there yet. Indian ridge was FAST. Probably the first time I've ever hit 5th gear in the woods.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Bearwallow certainly has some "fast" sections but I don't remember getting into 5th gear very often where we rode . . . from where would you and your friends be travelling, Juliend? When you look at the Bearwallow map you will find, I believe, many more trails than at Indian Ridge.

I'll look into accomodations, camping and cabins, and post some examples and rates.

Anyone have a preference for a particular weekend?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'm in the appalachian mountains already, northwestern NC. It's just about 3 hours north to get to indian ridge, not much further to Bearwallow I think.

Most of the wide open sections were wide dirt roads connecting the two trail systems that make up indian ridge. It's quite a haul from one to the other, and the trails are really wide and smooth (for the most part). Some wicked hill climbs out there too though. A great mix of everything really, had a great time!

First weekend in Oct would be ideal for me. I have that friday off since I'm on call for the week prior. Don't set it up around me though, I'd still have to talk the wife into letting me ride back up there, and I'm not opposed to taking a day off any time. I def can't go the last weekend in Sept though, stupid pager.....
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:Bearwallow certainly has some "fast" sections but I don't remember getting into 5th gear very often where we rode . . . from where would you and your friends be travelling, Juliend? When you look at the Bearwallow map you will find, I believe, many more trails than at Indian Ridge.

I'll look into accomodations, camping and cabins, and post some examples and rates.

Anyone have a preference for a particular weekend?
Yep the second weekend in October .... :grin:
Possible group from Michigan planning right now for that weekend.
Nothing in stone though
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
Rick wrote:It would be great to have you Vince! And Kirsten and Maybe Mike too if they could swing it.... I know it is a big haul for you guys though..... Think about it.
Whats 500+ miles to go riding ??
Just over the hill a little ways
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

The 2nd weekend of October we still should be ahead of most of the leaves dropping and causing general havoc . . .

CLICK FOR PICS!
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

I still haven't found a new set of forks relatively cheap. (I am not paying for brand new ones; love him to death but, no). Anyway. I also don't think he has enough time in his vacation bank this year, but what do I know?

Inda. I think it's time to talk to your bro. You know how stubborn he can be until he gets there! :partyman: :mrgreen: (9-year anniversary ride? :grin: )
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I have a set of oe forks for a 97 kdx if they will fit.
Need rebuilding though the seals a blown.
There yours if you want them, just pay whatever it costs to ship..
Last edited by TWMOODY on 03:59 pm Aug 12 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Kirsten:
Whats wrong with your forks? Or is it Mike's forks? I Have a set of early 90's usd forks in the garage if you need parts. They are in pieces, but your welcome to them if needed. They are the same forks that you and I have on our KDX's, except they came off a KX. Let me know...
I have no use for them anyway.
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Vince. What is your input? Sorry TW and Rick, I STILL don't know enough to know what is and isn't for the ol' man's bike.

We appreciate the offers, but either way...the hubby doesn't have enough vaca in the bank for this year. I would still love to get his bike back in shape though. I love learning how to work on different parts of the bike, and maybe someday, be able to know half of what you are all talking about! :lol:
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

OK K. You are welcome to the parts either way though... Just let me know.
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

His are 95 KX forks. The cap is stuck... I can get it off but not without absolutely trashing it.

I say lets get the cap off and just order a new one IF the threads aren't screwed....

Otherwise.... new forks are going to be needed. Or at least that side.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Rick and Tom.

Out of curiosity, how much do you guys want for the forks? Tom, I know you said for the cost of shipping, but is that all? I mean, couldn't you both put your forks on ebay and get SOMETHING out of them?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You need to step back and go on some facts that make nether of these solutions feasable.

First... a stock 97 KDX frontend will not fit those triple trees or rim. The Blue ones that rick has may but the rim and axle will not.

Lets just concentrate on the cap and go from there.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Der free but sound like they no work on u bike
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Better stick with the b.i.l. But, thanks anyway guys. :?