mattawa porker run

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
northwestkdxr

mattawa porker run

Post by northwestkdxr »

just wondering if anyone is going to eastern washington to do the season opener. :supz:
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

We did the whole weekend last year with the family poker run the kids races and I tackled the 100 on Sunday. We all had a blast. This is one of the funnest events of the year and is a site to see.

Not sure if we are going to make it over this year. It takes us 5+ hrs. and we sold our camp trailer last years.

My 13 yr. old and I might sneak over for the Ironman on Saturday.

Have fun!
'
northwestkdxr

Post by northwestkdxr »

the ironman is on the april fourth i believe and is now held in odesa which probably ads an hour for you i figured i would try the two twenty five mile laps in mattawa to get my self pumped for the ironman the mattawa run is this sunday.
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

Yep just going out to load up the bikes I have a 05 220 and my brother is riding a 02 cr 250. rode hare scramble in richland march 8 first ride with fork conversioln in desert, it was like a new bike cornered better and more stable in whops. I would have to say that tunning suspension for weight and type of ridding is the best thing i have done to my bike
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Sorry, I mixed up the Mattawa poker run with the D-100 at Odessa. I just remember the D-100 used to be called the Mattawa 100.

After riding the D-100 last year with stock forks, I was wanting that KX fork conversion badly!

You guys going to the D-100 as well?
'
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

dont know if brother is going but I am. Never rode the des 100 so this will be first time.Did both days at mattawa poker run good turn out and weather.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Well, just found out we are not going to the D-100 this year. My parents just finished building their beach home and I promised to give them a hand moving in that weekend.

Guess if I want to use it I should help :lol:
'
northwestkdxr

Post by northwestkdxr »

I will be doing the ironman poker run in odesa on the fourth I did two laps on sundays poker run by accident allthough it was alot of fun and yes the weather was great I even got to fly over the bars when I launched into a deep whoop and the back end kept going paying for the fun today thats for sure
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

Going to do the race on sunday so will probably do the shorter poker run never done the des 100 so dont really know what to expect ran 13 47 at mattawa but that was to high for the hills had to keep it on the pipe. thought I might go back to 13 49 for the 100. What would you suggest.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I did the 40 mile family poker run last year and then the race on Sunday. It was certainly a hoot and I wish we were going again this year, but oh well.

I ran 13/47 last year and my 220 did just fine. In fact, at that time my 220 just had the PC pipe, reeds and airbox lid removed. I had not done the RB mods yet. The RB mods certainly would have helped, but it did just fine without. I would get passed by many 450 thumpers in the straights and whoops, but when we got to anything technical I would pass em back.

Just some thoughts about the D-100 if you have never done the race.

1st, run your tire pressure higher than you would think. I ran 18 psi front and rear with MSR heavy duty tubes. You wont believe how many guys you will pass with flats. That volcanic rock hidden under the sage is imbedded and sharp!

2nd, pace yourself. I saw tons of guys head out off the start like banshees, only to be pulled over panting and rubbing out the arm pump within the first 10 miles. I was one of the last ones off the line and by the second hill climb had passed 100's of guys. There are a few areas that get bottlenecked due to a downhill or uphill section or a rocky section. To me they all seemed very easy after growing up riding the woods and I just found a line no one else was using and passed a ton of guys.

3rd, take care of your hands! I had terrible blisters when I was done. I later bought some palm savers that I ran at the Monkey Butt hare scramble and they worked great. I also used a size smaller glove than I normally wear and used baby powder.

Hope this helps. Have fun.
'
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

thanks that helps a lot. I have heard its a tough race. to bad your not going to make it this year its always fun to see other kdxers think we passed two or three last weekend, was riding with my brother and I was chasing him most of the weekend he is only 22 so he likes to ride pretty fast. I saw some pics of some water crossings were they much of an issue.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Yeah, I really would love to go. It is such a fun event, but I promised to help out my folks.

The water crossings were no issue at all, although I got soaked by a smart@#s on his YZ250 who wheelied by me and sent a wall of water over me. He looked back after to check on his work :evil: I caught him in the next twisty section and passed him back then gave him a mouthful of roost :lol: FUN!
'
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

sounds like fun been riding the mt bike to try to get in shape. did the rb mods help with the low end or is it more of top end mod. I have drilled out air box rev pipe boysen reeds and freddette bored the carb when I did piston cleaned intake and exhaust ports didnt really remove much just cleaned upand removed flashing. after adding fredette carb it has an ok hit from the bottom and lots of top end w/kx forks 450s dont pull away in the open, I am looking for more low end snap without losing my top end.