Hatfield & McCoy 2009 late april/early may

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hatfield & McCoy 2009 late april/early may

Post by TWMOODY »

Time to start thinking of a opening season at H&M
Any thoughts ??
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

I'm thinking ... for once. :lol:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Count me in.

A 4 or 5 day adventure would be nice.

I was looking at Indian Ridge trail map. Not as many miles as Browning Fork but it's newer. Maybe less rocky? Another place with plenty of trails is Pinnacle Creek which, by the way, is known for "breathtaking" scenery.

But if it's Browning Fork I'm still in!

One thing to add. There are COUNTLESS miles of trails in West Virginia that are absolutely free. Mining service roads, abandoned logging roads, old railroad beds - you name it. My sister's fiance has been riding these trails all of his life and can point out the good stuff and how it interconnects. This past Labor day weekend my son and I rode with him. You couldn't cover all of these trails in a week. Mountain climbs; many, many creek/river crossings, etc. Great places to camp out. Just a thought.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I'm thinking on the lines of 5-6 day stint.
I'm not so sure I would want to ride on "Free trails" as
in those parts they may not take to kindly to outsiders ripping
up the land and I would like to make it home bullet free.

3.10. No person, vehicle or trail animal is permitted:

a. Upon any private way, without the express permission of the person owning or controlling the private way;

Does my Monster qualify as a trail animal ?
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

It just may Tom! You guys pic a date, and i'll start schedualing vacation days! Lets see, the KDX needs fork seals......the CR needs rear brake work and seat time......Better get busy!
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

My 2 cents for some dates out there.

Weekend of the 2/3 to include a few weekdays around it (Thursday and Friday or Monday and Tuesday)
Weekend of the 16/17, say May 14 - 17 (Thursday through Sunday)

Other thoughts?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

That would all work with me.
How many might be interested?
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

I should be able to do 3-4 days, as long as im feeling ok. (recent chest pains) Checking my gallbladder on Monday. I think Andy and Jarred are interested too, if the schedualing works out. No last minute trips this time Tom! Or at least a weather check first........ :wink:
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
KDXPhoneDude

Post by KDXPhoneDude »

I'll check with the wife and check the finances/start saving. I'd love to go.
Sounds VERY cool.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

So here's a tentative plan . . . arrive late afternoon May 1 (Friday) with plans to ride Sat, Sun, and Mon, leave Tue . . .

. . . well, for that matter you can arrive/leave when you wish . . .

After talking to Tom and Rick we've got 4 to 6 presently - Tom, Rick, me, Tom's friend, and possibly two of Rick's friends.

So how 'bout it KDXPhoneDude?!

There are no scheduled harescrambles that particular weekend - IXCR, SOCC, nor KORHS, so hopefully Kirk and Austin can make it out. Tap, tap, tap . . . Bueller . . . Buuueeeelllllerrr . . .

Also, we're tossing around the idea of one of the other trail systems besides Browning Fork. Not that Browning Fork is bad - it's got the most trails - but what comes to mind are some vids I've seen of Dingess Rum (Bearwallow), not as rocky but some really good-lookin' trails. I'll go no matter where everybody wants. Let's get some discussion going about this, learn what you can and speak up.

Given the reasonable temperatures very likely, tents/campers oughta do just fine. I'm gonna look for a place that reasonable accommodations (showers etc).

Anyone else interested? We certainly hope so, we had a fantastic time last year.

CLICK FOR PICS!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Dingess Rum has half the mileage of trails but basically because it has less of the really easy, tractor-trailer wide trails . . .

The Bearwallow Trail System located near the town of Logan consists of approximately 53.27 total miles of trail. The Bearwallow Trail has one trailhead/ranger station. Bearwallow is one of the more popular trail systems of the Hatfield-McCoy Trails and is commonly known for its difficult single track and most difficult level trails. The breakdown in trail percentages for this trail system are as follows: 28% are green trails (easiest), 41% are blue trails (more difficult), 17% are black trails (most difficult), and 14% are orange trails (single track only). This trail system has direct access to gas, food, and lodging.

Here's Browning Fork (Rockhouse), note more miles of total trails but really no more of the moderate and difficult stuff:

The Rockhouse Trail System, located between the towns of Man and Gilbert, consists of 92 miles of trail. Rockhouse has one trailhead located just outside the town of Man, WV. Rockhouse has the largest total mileage of any of the six Hatfield-McCoy Trail Systems and offers a wide variety of trails for all difficulty levels. The breakdown in trail percentages for this trail system is: 53% are green trails (easiest), 22% blue (more difficult), 13% black (most difficult), 5% red/black trails (extremely difficult), and 7% orange (single track only). This trail system has direct access to the cities of Man and Gilbert, WV. Each of these towns offer fuel, full service food, and lodging accommodations.

Here's a great clip of one of the Dingess Rum trails, good soundtrack.

[youtube][/youtube]

CLICK FOR PICS!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I'm game for Dingess Rum/Bear Wallow trails.
Something different and........ If we want to do more Browning Fork Rock House Trail head is only 1/2 hour south.
There is a campsite/cabin place on the trail head near Logan that also has a place in Gibert that I stayed last year till all you guys got there.
Here the details.
I think I would haul my trailer and camp out in that.
That allows me to bring both bike and after my 450 kicks my ass I can
hop on the kdx and chill..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Name: Devil Anse Campground and Cabin Rental

Description: Devil Anse Campground & Cabin Rentals caters to the riders of the Hatfield & McCoy Trail System, offering direct access to over 100 miles of adventurous trails at the Bear Wallow Trail Head. We have campsites for RV's up to 55 feet in length, tents, and campers. Also, we have primitive cabins available in the West Virginia Wilderness. The cabins are accessible only by ATV or Motorcycle on the Bear Wallow Trail. Please contact us for details.

Email: gyost@wvdsl.net
Phone: 304-752-1841
Secondary Phone:
Closest Trail: Bearwallow Trail System

Map:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Devil Anse Campground looks VERY promising. That'll mean low cost yet reasonably comfortable living conditions. Great work Tom.

Another "+" about being around Logan: I know a Bob Evans restaurant manager and if we're willing to make a 45 minute trip we'd be his guests there . . . meaning he would pick up the tab!

I really hope we can get a bunch of KDX types from the website to come out. Anybody have at least some interest?

CLICK FOR PICS!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Can we camp out in Bob Evans Parking Lot ? :lol:
I think that place is in a big shopping plaza with a Walmart and a dozen other stores.
crf_kdx

Post by crf_kdx »

Hey folks!

Austin and I may be interested; That weekend actually might work well for us. The campground is appealing too; Anyone have any sense whether I'd cuss the local twisties if I brought my 26' travel trailer? I've been AWOL lately (my father recently passed and then there was the ice storm) and I'm just now getting back into a groove.

Please keep us in the loop.

Kirk
"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."
~ William Trogdon

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750
2005 KDX 200 (mine)
2006 CRF 250X (son's)

2004 TTR 125LE (for sale)

KORHS Series: Senior C
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Glad to see your interested Kirk !
I'm sure it will be another great time.
Austin can BLAZE the trails for us :shock:
Your good on the camper.
Here's a new link the other one above don't work.

http://www.devilansecampground.com/

Our Location Features:

Campsites for RV's, all camper types up to 55 feet in length, and tents.

Nine Full Hook-Up sites with water, electric, and sewer.

Bathhouses with private showers and toilet stalls. (Shower Tokens Required.)

Barbecue Grills, Picnic Tables, and Campfire Rings

Direct access to the Bear Wallow trailhead for Motorcycles and ATV's.

Primitive Cabins set in the wooded West Virginia mountains.

Camping supplies, trail permits, and shower tokens are available upon check-in.

Campsites limited to four people.

NO CHECK-INS AFTER DARK!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Kirk, glad you and Austin may come . . . sorry to hear about your dad.

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Andy has a small pull behind too, but im not sure how we would get the bikes and the camper both there, without a couple of us driving... :?
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
KDXPhoneDude

Post by KDXPhoneDude »

My riding buddy has a 95 kdx 200. I talked to him the other day about going and he said it sounded like a good thing. Apparently he has access to a 12ft enclosed trailer for the bikes and maybe for us to camp out in.
I'm really wanting to go on this trip, so I am trying to talk him into going too to split the gas etc.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I just noticed that you're in Noblesville, IN. We'd be right in your path on the way to H&M.

Hope you guys go, you and your buddy will have a ball.

CLICK FOR PICS!