Ideeho August 08

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ideeho August 08

Post by canyncarvr »

Ski hasn't started one of these, yet??

It's Sunday. I'm in Bend. Ski's not here.

He probably bailed on me...........

OR...it could just be I'm not where he's at :hmm:

I'm sitting in a motel. Bike (on trailer) made it a taggin' along behind me. SSShhhh,,, don't tell ski (he's pullin' it to Ideeho)..but the axle's a tad tweaked..wears tires on the inside. One side is more wored than the other, so I swapped tires from side to side when I got here. Got thousands of miles on the trailer..so another couple will be fine.

...Right?

Asking the motel fixture (female at counter) for directions here worked real good. Mapquest of course was a bust..at least much less than clear. I asked for the exit number off the bypass to get to the road the place is on. That was met with a rather elongated pause. Guess she didn't know the bypass HAD exit numbers.

'Well...you head south and take an exit that says downtown.'

And turn...West, I ask?

'Kinda'

Of course not. Came to an intersection..had a sign on it with the road name I wanted. Figured turning right was good (That's kind'a west when you're heading South, ain't it?). Took about ten seconds to realize the road I wanted happend to END at that intersection.and it only went EAST.

So much for directions. Found it anyway.

Took off looking for where ski's staying. Got directions from the same lady. 'Turn on Powers...it's right at WalMart.'

Great! Even I can find WalMart!!!

....a few miles later I'm looking at the Powers road sign as I drive past it...no WalMart in sight.

OK...find the feeder to where's Waldo..head south. I know I gotta make a left, 'cuz I got yet another MapQuest map of the place. I'm looking for Rim Drive. I see SW Rim Drive...but it's on the RIGHT. Hhhmmmm ...must be a SE Rim Drive farther down.

Or...I am looking at the map alright. Right side up. I'm headed South.

ooops.

All's well that ends well. For tonight anyway. Left a love note on ski's truck: 'What the hell kind'a truck is a DODGER anyway? 'Kin I bum a ride to Ideeho?. Looks like you might be goin' that way what with that green thing in the back...and about 2 cubic yards of other 'stuff'.

He SAID the bed was about 1/2 empty. I didn't know he was standing next TO his bed at the time..and he'd just gotten out of it.

Off tomorry at about 6 1/2 in the a.m.

I wonder where ski's going to buy my breakfast.................. :supz:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I thought I seen ya go by my house.... it's right past Walmart! :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Made it back.

Using the words of our trail guide (Ed)....things are 'different' in Idaho.

We could not have had a better show-n-tell'er. Ed's ridden 600 miles of trails here in a week's stay...repeating nothing. The trail system is simply incredible.

Oh...that little spot of dirt just above my bars left-of-center? That IS the trail.

Ski's the guy with most of the pics. I'm sure he'll post some up when he gets back home. I didn't take my camera most of the time. These are from Friday when Ski and I 'excused' ourselves from the REAL ride of the day. The previous three day's rides (around 185 miles) had taken a toll.

Before you die..and while you are able..if you don't pack up and make this trip, you are making a mistake.

Had a few green bikes there:

..but Ed DID bring two of 'em!

Consider the source

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There's a ski down there somewhere....

Hardly ANY rocks in Idaho (hardly anything BUT rocks is more like it).

Wait! Here are a couple more rocks!

If you asked Ed if there were any more rocks on this next trail than the one above, he would say it's 'different'. Something else to watch out for is when Ed says, 'This trail is a favorite of mine. THAT likely means some trouble!

There are numerous hot springs to soak in after a ride (if you like 108º+).

At the end of the day, SOME rider slept well on this (Oh My!):

Here looks better...even considering that there is NO commercial power available.

Last edited by canyncarvr on 08:25 pm Aug 24 2008, edited 3 times in total.

Consider the source

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

More pics here.

..a TT link.

Consider the source

clutchcover
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by clutchcover »

Now you fellers know why those of us that live here love it so much. I can ride everything from desert to high mountain tight trails, dunes, intermediate trails, sense forrest, flatland and everything in between all within an hours drive. Most is within ten minutes. Idaho is a big state and also has the most wilderness area in the lower 48.
97 Kdx200
Summuda goodies.... But not quite enough.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yep... thems some big taters! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Having a lot of wilderness area isn't a plus. That's land locked up for the use and or benefit of practically no one. Over 50% of Oregon is 'owned' by those that can't legally/constitutionally 'own' land..the jack-booted butts that call themselves The Government.

There isn't a thing wrong with wilderness areas..it's the jacks' attitude about the whole thing that's the problem.

As was pointed out in 'Campfire Discussion' on this trip...something like 95% of species that have ever existed are now extinct, so, what's the big deal if another can't cope/adapt/change to existing conditions? That's what natural selection is all about...NOT the protection of everything from every other thing.

Obviously a complete disregard for one's environment only hastens one's death. That has nothing to do with, for example, ruining the economy of an entire state because owl-1 is getting EATEN by owl-2 (both of them 'protected' by The Government btw)...so let's shutdown the entire state!! And doing it all under the flag of 'Green' or 'Good' or 'We're better'n YOU!'

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

As you can tell, carvr was in rare form during campfire discussions, which included a German from Canada!! Ha! What interesting perspective we got from Florian. Or was it Fraulein? ha!! Anyways, he had terrible trouble understanding why Americans like firearms, the gang problems, our lack of advancement in home appliances, our interest in space exploration, etc. He had a deathly fear of American law enforcement officers of any kind. Seems he and most Europeans think of American police officers as Gestapo or SS troops. He also expressed the opinion that most Europeans think that George Bush stole the election from Al Gore. Now, don't worry, we set him straight on many things. Heck, he'd never even heard of Rush Limbaugh!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I know Bush stole the election 'cuz I heard it on the news. So there!

There was also this idea: Why so many guns and such a huge military? Surely not for protection!! It's silly to think that anyone would EVER attack the US.

:hmm:

As Hillary said (about 150 times) before Congress during the Whitewater investigation, 'I don't remember.....', 'I can't recall.....'.

Yep. Ain't never been NO attack on the US!

Well...excepting its citizens, ships, embassies, barracks, national monuments, office buildings, military complexes........I mean...other than all THAT stuff.......

Consider the source

radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

But CC, it was never in a place "they" ever cared to really see or should I say be seen at. I mean those are dangerous places, like Hillary landing under sniper fire in Bosnia. She did recall that for a primary until she didn't recall it after photos appeared.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

And John Kerry (he served in VietNam) personally observed razing, raping, father raping, and baby killing. Murtha never observed a damn THING, but all the Marines at Hadifa were guilty...oddly, though, of something that seems to have NEVER HAPPENED! Pelosi gets laws passed that apply to everyone 'cept her tuna buddies.

And let's not forget The Swimmer, Ted!

Funny. Nothing ever comes of those things. But, you can be sure to hear for damn near forever how Bush lied, people died.

Uh...what exactly does 500 TONS of yellow cake uranium look like 'ya think? :hmm:

Ask Canada, 'eh?

Oh...and what do you DO with yellow cake uranium? Well....whatever it is, it takes a LOT of gas centrifuges, it seems. You know....like the over TWO THOUSAND of them that Iran has?

:shock:

It's all Halliburton's fault! :rolleyes:

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

See what I had to put up with??!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Hell...I mostly just SAT there....couldn't get a word in EDGE-wise. :butthead:

Consider the source

KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Wow! Sounds like you all had a great time. Looks like it too! :supz: Thanks for giving the rest of us a sense of what "Ideeeeeho" is like to ride. Don't think I will ever get THAT advanced in my riding though.

Thanks for NOT posting the pics of y'all soaking in the hot springs. :grin:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Looks like fun. Has a similar appearance to riding down in Isabella just with trees!! So when's the next trip? :lol:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Since Idaho was so good, it'd be a bit shorter of a trip for those who are considering a trip out west next year. Mapquest shows a 28 hour drive from Cincinnati, OH to Boise, ID (I have no idea how far away this riding area is from Boise BTW). That's two 16-hour driving days (includes 2 hours worth of breaks/refuels). 'Not exactly a short jaunt - and no picnic for anyone who HATES driving - but within the realm of sanity (in my opinion).

I might even be able to tolerate some good-ole' gov't-bashing campfire rhetoric with enough Listerine!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's not as far as Boise from the east. We were 24 miles from Fairfield, ID. Forest fire closures made that our second choice. First choice was about 12 miles out of Featherville. You can MQ either of those to get an idea. Choice #1: Baumgartner Campground. #2: Canyon Campground.

Good idea, seems to me. It must be a good idea, 'cuz I thought of it, too! We oughtta ponder that some...a Big Ride next year maybe in the Sawtooth area?

Get to packin', m0rie!!

Might have to bring your own Listerine, Jeb, as I can't be trusted with it. I hit hard enough to pop the TOP off the (plastic, pint) bottle. Having gotten good'n wet in some of the couple dozen creek crossings we did, I didn't realize the entire contents had emptied out of the topless bottle...into my pocket (when upside down, evidently), then into my boot (when I got right-side up)!

..there ARE pics of hot-spring soaking. Must be. At least I recall hearing something about 'Monkey-butt......'.

It's a treat to ride there...it will also wipe you out. I doubt many ride three and four days in a row..and each those days were, frankly, pretty tough. It's the mental-ness of it all that got to me. We'd leave fairly early in the a.m., and not get back 'til dusk. Pack ten hours full of split second riding decisions..and it's enough to make your brain hurt.

Mine did anyway......

Let's go!!!

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

You wasted the LISTERENE!???

Good thing I stayed home!! :mad:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Well, Wib, that's his story anyway. He came riding into a rest stop, a weaving and a wabbling. I asked for a hit from the bottle, he pulls it out and, WHAT? WHAT HaPPEneD?!??! I guess the top musta come off he says, HE SAYS!! Yea, RIGHT!!

He's a pig!!
Jerry