Land-Between-the-Lakes LBL . . . OR . . . Hatfield & McC

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Land-Between-the-Lakes LBL . . . OR . . . Hatfield & McC

Post by Jeb »

While a trip across the country is brewing for '09, time to schedule a ride over on this side of the country!

So if we wanna' ride for a long weekend, where's the preference?

I know LBL is located where many of us can get there in reasonable fashion. Hatfield & McCoy is well-known as well (and it's in God's country - West Virginia!).

A few links:
LBL - http://www.lbl.org/OHVTrails.html

H&C - http://www.trailsheaven.com/

LBL would be a simple trip to plan: bring the bikes and some tents.

There's lots of options with H&C. Here's a few descriptions from the different trail systems that make up H&C:

Buffalo Mountain: The Buffalo Mountain Trail System . . . consists of approximately 95 total miles of trail . . . has three community connectors. The breakdown in trail percentage on the Buffalo Trail System is as follows: 61% are green trails (easiest), 14% are blue trails (more difficult), 14% are black trails (most difficult), and 10% are orange trails (single track only). This trail system has direct access to the cities of Matewan, Delbarton, and Williamson, WV. Each of these trails offer fuel, full service food, and lodging services.

Browning Fork: The Browning Fork Trail System . . . consists of approximately 115 miles of trail . . . has the largest total mileage of each of the five Hatfield-McCoy Trail Systems and offers a wide variety of trails for all difficulty levels. The breakdown in trail percentage for this trail system is as follows: 46% are green trails (easiest), 25% are blue trails (more difficult), 16% are black trails (most difficult), 5% are red trails (extreme difficult), and 8% are orange trails (single track only). This trail system has direct access to the cities of Man and Gilbert, WV. Each of these towns offer fuel, full service food, and lodging accommodations.

Dingess Rum: The Dingess Rum Trail System . . . consists of approximately 53.27 total miles of trail . . . and is commonly known for its difficult single track and most difficult level trails. The breakdown in trail percentages for this trail system are as follows: 28% are green trails (easiest), 41% are blue trails (more difficult), 17% are black trails (most difficult), and 14% are orange trails (single track only). This trail system has direct access to gas, food, and lodging.

There's plenty of campsites near these places.

Alternatively, there's some decent lodging near these trail systems and quite reasonable. Trails can very often be accessed directly from lodging. As an example here's a place near the Browning Fork Trail system:

http://www.promiserock.com/indexmain.html

In this case, 4 people can rent for about $37 per night, 8 people about $24. If we could get 8 people for, say, a Fri/Sat/Sun night stay that would be $75 for some very convenient and cozy accomodations.

Of course, a tent would be cheaper!

So what do y'all think? Any other suggestions for places?

How about some dates? I'll start with some suggestions of any of the weekends in July AFTER the 4th weekend.

Here's some driving distances for consideration:

LBL (I used Eddyville, KY)
Chicago, IL - 6.5h
St Louis, MO - 3.5h
Little Rock, AR - 5.5h
Cleveland, OH - 8.5h
Chattanooga, TN - 3.75h
Atlanta, GA - 5.5h
Birmingham, AL - 4.5h

H&C (I used Charleston, WV, so +/- 1h depending on trail and direction your coming from)
Chicago, IL - 8.5h
St Louis, MO - 7.5h
Little Rock, AR - 11.5h
Cleveland, OH - 4.5h
Chattanooga, TN - 6.75h
Atlanta, GA - 8h
Birmingham, AL - 8.75h

Let's hear your thoughts . . .

A BTW: whatever the case or choice, I'm willing to help check on, reserve, arrange accomodations (whatever they may be) if we can get enough interest.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A trip like that would have to be more than just a long weekend or most of the time would be prep and setup and teardown....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

. . . I suggested a long weekend to make it possible for more to participate; nothing wrong with a longer trip!

Setup/teardown time? I guess you're talking about driving time?

If it were LBL I would think most could be setup by nightfall, ride all day Saturday/Sunday, 1/2day Monday and be home Monday evening by nightfall.

If it were H&C maybe meet up at the destination on Thursday evening , basically adding an extra day?

How much time do you think would be more suitable?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Jeb, what are your thoughts about a date? Summer or fall? I might be able to do Hatfield McCoy but the KY location seems a little far...
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

How about meeting up Friday afternoon at Browning Fork on July 17th, riding Saturday, Sunday, and part of Monday (or all of Monday)? It'll be warm but probably better than August . . .

If we can get some plans together soon I'm not 100% sure but fairly confident that two maybe three other N. Kentuckians could go as well.

If cost is a concern we could camp; it WOULD be nice to stay at one of the cabins . . .

I'm getting fired up just thinking about it!

What weekends would you be available in July?

As soon as I get some commitments together I'm gonna' work through some logistics and get back with the options.

:supz:

CLICK FOR PICS!
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Hubby just recently started a new job so, we are not sure July will work. If you all get settled on specific dates, we might be able to swing it. No promises.
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

I'll be there, wherever there is! Sounds like a great tip. Ride all day, and cold brew-ha-has at night! How about it Vince, Tom, Butterfly, Kirk & Austin? And, everybody else. If its a long trip for you, consider heading down earlier in the week, if you can. We'll catch up with ya's on Friday!
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

A little FYI for you "out-of-towners." With the price of gas as it sits right now...DAMN!!!!! On top of that, the camping fees, the gas for the cycles, the food, the incidentals.....I don't know about this H&M....

http://www.trailsheaven.com/about/hatfi ... rmits.aspx
Last edited by KDX Butterfly on 08:51 pm Jun 08 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
KDX Butterfly wrote:Hubby just recently started a new job so, we are not sure July will work. If you all get settled on specific dates, we might be able to swing it. No promises.
We'd love for it to work out but I can understand if it doesn't. So we'll just have to plan on having a round 2 in September - after it cools down - and by then you and the hubby can join us . . . :grin:

CLICK FOR PICS!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
KDX Butterfly wrote:A little FYI for you "out-of-towners." With the price of gas as it sits right now...DAMN!!!!! On top of that, the camping fees, the gas for the cycles, the food, the incidentals.....I don't know about this H&M....

http://www.trailsheaven.com/about/hatfi ... rmits.aspx
Whoa!! Just last year it was only like $15 per person!

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Jim, did you click on the link? $50 bucks for a permit for non-wv residents!
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

We'd love for it to work out but I can understand if it doesn't. So we'll just have to plan on having a round 2 in September - after it cools down - and by then you and the hubby can join us . . . :grin:
There is always Labor Day. Wha'd'ya think, Inda?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Love too! May need to Truck-pool it! :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Rick wrote:Jim, did you click on the link? $50 bucks for a permit for non-wv residents!
Yeah, that's quite a surprise . . . it used to be 1/3 of that. I'm gonna contact them, maybe it's good for the whole year.

CLICK FOR PICS!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Love too! May need to Truck-pool it! :grin:
:supz:

You guys gotta come out, July or September . . . or BOTH!

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Its good til december 31st.......but, will we ever be back this year?
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

If there is no other riding fee, im ok with that. I pay $15 to $20 at local places a day. $47 / 3 = $15.66666666666
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Thanks Jeb, for the intresting post for a GROUP ride. :supz:

As much as I would like to join you in July, I can't make it then.

BUT...... I have family in Memphis TN. and have been talking to Desoto Flyer about a ride at the end of September this year. Maybe even OCT.

LBL or HF and Mc. ..... Either one should work for ME. :grin:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

The permit is a one-time purchase and is good 'till the end of the year.

A few clips to get the heart pounding . . . the quality is poor on the first:
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Caption of this clip is "SUE'S FIRST RIDE". . . We need to make sure we WATCH OUT FOR SUE!!
[youtube][/youtube]

CLICK FOR PICS!
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

HEY!!! While watching 'SUE' having a good time on an ATV trail, it reminds me of something. :grin: A' DIRT BIKE' ALWAYS USES THE THE PART OF THE TRAIL THAT A ATV CAN'T......THE MIDDLE!!! :partyman: :supz: