Midwest pilgrimage to "The State of Jefferson" 09

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

jc we should meet at drapper sometimes I'm there most saturday mornin. We've been talkin about going to crossbar ranch maybe this week end if we can get enough riders.
Moab sounds like a good place to go and not as far (still wanna go to the mythical state though).
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Yes definately. I still want to meet up some time and ride. I really want to go check out Cross Bar also. The black trail at Draper is supposed to open in a couple weeksa also. My wife is going out of town this weekend, which means I have the kids. I would have to try to pawn them off with my parents. My 11 year old can ride pretty much anywhere, but not the two youngest.

I think I mentioned that my kids have me going to the cross country races now. I ride in the +40 Amateur class. This last weekend I was on the starting line, the flag dropped and what did I see but the tail end of another KDX on the other end of the line shoot up front and take the hole shot. That was pretty cool. I didn't even know he was over there. I thought I was the only KDX in the race. Those MX bikes are pretty fast, but when we came to the rutted-out, rocky, slimey hill climbs I just cruised right up and over whil a lot of people were spinning to a standstill. Of course they caught me again on the fast sections.
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Decatur, COULD very well be a meeting point. Safe parkimg?

I have been using "MapQuest" to plot routes.

CC, What is it like at "LABOR DAY" time of year? Any resorts, ma & pa motels, hotels.
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

I will knock the dust off this post once a month to keep people thinking. :grin:

203 peeks so far. :mrgreen:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Good idea it175
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I have to admit - I may be responsible for a handful of those peeks :oops:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I am in! Just a short drive down I-5 for me. Maybe all of us N. Oregonians could carpool.

Wouldn't it be great to have a forest full of green bikes. Maybe we could find one guy on a KTM that we could all pick on and make fun of, or send him out in front of us so we could hunt him down :lol:

Now all we need is Rick from NY to swing by Quebec and pick up our Canadian bros and we will be set.
'
midlifemoto

Post by midlifemoto »

hey firfighter, I'm in Oregon City...I'd be interested in carpooling with ya'...man, $4.15 a gallon is brutal these days...thinking sometime in July? I'm trippin' thru June....did the Mt. Scott Tee Pee Poker Run at McCubbins Gulch last weekend, it was 40 miles and rough...going to Gifford Pinchot in two weeks and racing the Washougal VDR mx at the end of June...whew....I doubt riding with those So. Oregon boys will be considered a break tho...somethin' tells me they ride hard

Mike
I spent most of my money on women and beer, the rest I just wasted

2006 KDX 200
2007 Harley Softail Custom
2004 Harley Heritage Special (was owned by Evel Knievel)
2006 CRF100 (sons)
2006 CRF 150 (girlfriends)
1978 RM250
1979 CR 125 Elsinore
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

CC says August for a ride at Grayback. He'll be baching it for a week while the little woman is off visiting sick relatives or something. So think about August.

Also, there's an open invite to ride Idaho from a guy I met in Nevada who knows the Idaho area very well; spends most of the summer there riding. 600+ miles of single track from the staging area alone!! So, maybe hit Idaho either coming or going to Oregon?

Oh, and don't worry about riding hard, there are "refreshment" breaks a-plenty!! Ya!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Dunescreaminmama

Post by Dunescreaminmama »

That would be August 18 through 26. Snow should be off Grayback by then, but will probably have to pay attention to fire restrictions. CC will be keeping an eye on all that I'm sure. it175--no resorts, one Best Western in town. We are about 6 miles out of town in the sticks and have 2.5 acres to put up as many tents as you want. Have the toy hauler that can be used as sort of a guest house too. Plenty of room for all. Good weather in August.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways,
Chardonnay in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up,
totally worn out and screaming:
WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Ah, the little woman..... So, is the coast clear? He's out of town, right? Be right over!! Ha!! Sangrias on the back porch!! Cheers!! Say What?? Ha! Ha! Cloves and Sofa Chicken too!! I like peas!! Ho!

Hey, the toyhauler is MINE!!! I call dibs on it. An no "snuggle up, buttercup" either fellas. That means you too Quebec!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Dunescreaminmama

Post by Dunescreaminmama »

funny guy! Hot tub is ready! Ha!

Really, I hope some of you will be able to make it here. A ton of wonderful riding. If not Grayback, there is always Prospect, Quartz creek, and even the Peak (what's left of it). We can accommodate a lot of folks, so all are welcome.

Toy Hauler is first come first serve Skipro. Reservations are accepted with any major credit card. :lol:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways,
Chardonnay in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up,
totally worn out and screaming:
WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'm gassy. The toy hauler will be exclusively mine. :mrgreen:
Jerry

KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Swing down and get us Fuzz...
US????
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Are we on? What is the date? Fuzz... you in? Hybrids? :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I will knock the dust off this post once a month to keep people thinking.

Well?

'09 is literally minutes away. Time to make some plans!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'm in!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

M0rie...you should be 'in' for several trips up here next year: Quartz Ck. when it's good, Briggs Valley when QC is closed, Greyback when it's too hot to ride either of the first two!

Consider the source

it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

OK then, I think the first order of business is picking what WEEK in the summer or fall we should go. Based on the knowledge of the locals that live that way. :prayer:

We will iron out THIS detail first, then work on item #2.
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The beginning is generally a good place to start................

Here's a basic summary of the way things work 'round here.

Places to ride:

Quartz Creek
Johns Peak
Greyback
Prospect
Briggs Valley

Different riding areas are operated under the auspices of different outfits (basically BLM and USFS) with different rules. Fire season as dictated by the state of Oregon regulates the land that BLM thinks it owns. The start of that season varies a LOT..from mid-May to mid-July. The woods are closed to motorized vehicles at that point.

That covers the first two..QC and JP.

The last three are USFS. They don't close during Oregon state declared fire season. They have their own particular issues, though.

Greyback: Chances of snow being gone before mid-July are slim. It's a one day ride.

Prospect: Opens July 4th and generally stays open 'til October. Precious litte good single track..mostly 48" stuff. Still, very pretty. Two days will cover Prospect, with one of those days being about 130 miles. A lot of road.

Briggs: LOTS of water crossings on some trails make riding Spring/early Summer a problem. I don't have anything against water crossings:

(the pic is from Idaho..not Briggs)

....unless I drown my 'sickle (I've only managed to do that once. Rider error.). BUT...rushing, high water you can't see the bottom of?..no thanks. And that IS the kind of water that will be found @ Briggs Spring/early Summer.

Briggs is a two-day ride (two different days..not a pack in thing. Maybe camp up there).

SO.... early spring (Briggs, Prospect, Greyback not accessible) with riding @ Johns Peak, Quartz Creek could keep us busy 'til your butts fell off. JP is 15 miles from my place, QC about 25. As noted earlier, I've got room for as many riders as would show up...probably. Wining and dining not likely included, whining and dining not allowed.

C'mon! Let's go!!!

Remember LAST year...you guys said, 'NEXT year!'??? Well...it's next year!

Consider the source