Colorado -- 2008 -- multi day event

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
IndyCJ

Colorado -- 2008 -- multi day event

Post by IndyCJ »

This might sound strange, and thanks to some other fellas on the board, they've convinced me that maybe selling my KDX is not the wisest thing to do.

That being said, one of the reasons I wanted too was to dual sport out in Colorado.

So, an alternative, and perhaps 'better' plan would be the following.

A weeklong 'slugfest' out in Colorado.

Basically, the jist would be to combine 'ultralight' backpacking and singletrack riding out in Colorado.

Granted, we wouldn't be able to go 'multiple days' with out fuel for the bikes, but my thought would be to do 'two day' jaunts.

So, here would be a 'rough' schedule as an example.

Day 1: Leave, head out to Denver (pull an all day/all night ride, towing bike(s) on trailer)
Day 2: Find 'location 1'. Park vehicle, top off tank and reserve, load gear. head out. Camp out 'in the wilderness' that night.
Day 3: Come back to location one 'vehicle'. Head out to 'location 2'

Rinse: repeat.

You could get '3' sets in.

I guess the first question: Is it doable?

Second question: Is anyone interested or 'as nuts' as I am to attempt it?

It would involve a GREAT deal of planning. I have several books on offroad trails in Colorado, and you could hit a great deal of the state. Of course, we are 'limited' by the amount of fuel that we have 'on board'.

Thoughts? Hello?
Rod Smith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rod Smith »

Great idea. When you are searching for trails checkout the Rainbow Trail. It is 120 miles in total length. What we do is ride loops on it from the trailheads. Doing this you go out say 15 miles and turn around and come back. Then ride the loop the other way and back. Then move to the next trailhead down the trail. Some guys hide gas in the woods and ride the whole length but I have never done that. Some of the trail is single track but in recent years some was opened to ATVs. There are many trails in Colorado but I suggest checking this one out. Since one end starts in Salida you are close to Mt Shavino if you want a more extreme hike.
2000 KDX 220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Figure out spots to stash gas and other supplies and you won't have to go back to the base camp. Take non-riding spouses and have them run the suttle for you and the riders; picking up and meeting you along the route.

I would be interested.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!