Memorial Day Weekend; my place!

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Don't feel bad Trev.... I too want to go really bad and may have to call it off too! I am taking over a huge financial responsibility this February and need to watch my spending for a while.

I tended to impulse buy in the past and is a very hard habit to break. This has left my reserves very low to say the least.

I wanted to buy a new truck for the trip and looks like that won't happen so I would have to depend off of my 98 Chevy with 180,000 on it and don't think I want to trust it.

We'll see what happens but I may have to wait yet another year...... :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Good deals on trucks out here Inda. Maybe you will only need to drive your old rig one way!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Does this mean I CAN be sitting on a couch in the sand Memorial Day!

Ha! I JUST told Cindy (hadn't seen this..my email notification isn't working), 'I wouldn't be surprised if Memorial Day doesn't work out quite as planned...'

Gee, Trev. I'd'a NEVER gone to all the trouble of getting to know yer buddy Marc OR hassling with carbies, heads and stuff if I'd'a known you would BAIL on us!!

Ha...just putting some coal on the fire.

Things change...I get that. The plans of mice and men and all that.

I agree with ski. This is supposed to be FUN!! So kwitchur whining :wink: and get on with it!

Sure...Johns Peak will be a BLM 'managed' area in a year or two..and that will be about the end of THAT...but...we can still run around my place when you get around to getting over here...all 2.5 acres of it!! :blink:

Oh Boy!! :roll:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Well, I'm going riding in the morning, and that's about as far I am able to make plans that have any real chance of becoming reality. Things do change and I will hold out hope that they will change for the better; both for Trev and Vince.
Now, I still expect Carvr, m0rie, Wibby, FarmerJ too perhaps to make it to my woods someday around Memorial Day weekend.

For now, Trev, send me your address again, so we can at least get some ride reports from you. Worry about the shipping fees later.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I am also holding on to the hope that things will turn out for the better. Heck even a few days to visit you guys would be a blast. I will just have to see how the finacial department treats us over the next few months. The line was dropped by my better half that "if you save enough for yourself to go then it shouldn't be a problem". Only time will tell though. I live in HOPE !!!

Your the greatest Jerry. Check your PM and thanks a million buddy. :prayer:
canyncarvr wrote:Ha! I JUST told Cindy (hadn't seen this..my email notification isn't working), 'I wouldn't be surprised if Memorial Day doesn't work out quite as planned...'
When you put it that way Brad, well I just HAVE to come, no question about it. I gotta prove YOU wrong, for ONCE !!! :twisted: :mrgreen:

2.5 acres ?!? WOAH !!! :shock: :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 2.5 acres

YeeHAw! Better let me know well in advance of showing up, though. I'll have to string some traffic control lights!!

Although.....I don't know that a personal visit from you would be a good thing....you seem to have some grossly mistaken impression that you would be the first to prove me wrong about something? Sorry, buddy. No virgin territory to be found in that regard. :cry: I wouldn't want to be responsible for bursting such a purty bubble................... :roll:

Riding in 'the morning'? Dated Thursday? Oh yeah...you're OFF!

BTW, Mr. Heitman: What do you see in your crystal ball for aroundabouts Memorial Day? Some days during the week before...or during..or, what? How MANY days needed? I should be making some plans now....

Thanks!

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Riding in the morning, dated Thursday. That means I have Fridays off!! Oh, Yea. 4 day work weeks and 10 hour days ROCK!
The crystal ball says:
I will be off work from the middle of the month (May) until the end of the month and available for riding that whole period. While waiting for friends to arrive for dirtbike riding, I'll be workng on home repairs; fix the deck, clean the gutters, get the boat ready for fishing, etc.. On June 1st, I'm flying to San Diego for my son's wedding. Y'all are welcome to the house while I'm gone if you wish to stay longer, but you will have to feed the dogs if you do. I"ll be back on June 4th if anyone hangs around that long.
Jerry

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Have we pinned down a semi specific set of dates yet? I'm itching to mark something on my calendar.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'm available from May 15th until June 1st. On June 1st I'll be off to San Diego for my youngest son's wedding. So it's up to the folks coming as to what days they wish to be here.

m0rie; why don't you start a poll for the dates.
BTW, there's going to be a thumpertalk ride on Memorial Day weekend over at Stonyford. We could go crash it!
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

m0rie: What dates are available for you? We have coast (dunes) reservations toward the end of the week before MD. If heading south AND going to the coast can both happen that would be good.

Doesn't mean it must.

Don't know what you have in mind, m0rie...but I'd be glad to strap your bike on my trailer for the trip down. Actually, if'n I was you I'd probably head south to 299 anyway. BUT, if'n I was driving a Sub..maybe not. :shock:

What's new with you, Trev? Obviously if you have any chance of being over here, our plans would revolve completely around your timeframe, Oh Great One.

If the invite's still on, I'd sure like to take the trip!!

I just told cicone that he and bradf should come out!! Ha! Serve bradf right for not coming down before he moved clear acrosst the country!!

Fuzzy and Inda are going to be here...right?

Consider the source

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

As far as I know i'm open for any of the dates around MD weekend. I just need to get it marked on the vacation calender at work. I'd prefer the weekend but anything around that time frame would work.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

How many days you wanna?

You headed south via 299?

email works better, sez me..until we get something firmed up.

'Ya think?

ccmaint-at-peak.org

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Well, it looks like there's less than 6 weeks before the date to go riding. Carvr and m0rie are shooting to come in on the 19th and ride 20th, 21st; heading home on the 22nd. Is that right?

It has been snowing constantly around here, and were it's not snowing, it's raining. Every official riding area is closed due to snow and rain. Roads washed away, mud slides, etc. Every single enduro this season has been rescheduled except for the first one; the Quicksilver. That race was run in 6 inches of snow and wasn't cancelled simply because it's a national race. The good news is that the two areas I'm planning on taking us should be clear and open by then and there are no problems with those access roads. The enduros are all scheduled in other areas that weekend so we should have the places literally to ourselves. Since the areas I plan on taking us to have not been ridden in 7 weeks and probably won't be open for at least another 2 weeks, it will be prime riding. In fact, it might be a little difficult to stay on course with the needle and leaf drops covering all the terrain.
For bike preps: Plan on riding altitudes as low as 3500 ft and as high as 6500 ft. There could be minor snow fields at the upper levels, mud puddles everywhere and deep water crossings. Prepare your bikes for the deep water crossings by having an extra air filter and tranny oil in case of contamination. Plan on warm or cold weather; it's spring and California. We could have temps in the 90's or it could snow. Just plan on anything for right now and I'll post an update on the weather as the date gets closer. As far as the date; if the weather cancels the plans for this weekend, thing about what date you would like a make-up. Anytime except for the first weekend in June, I WILL be available.
My trailer is almost complete; down to the firstaid kit and fire extinguisher!!! No photos though; I want to show it off in person. She is SWEET!!!!

Besides the two maniacs I mentioned, who else is going to try and make it? Trev? I know you've got issues, what with your bike being stolen and all. Ha!! How's wedding plans going anyway? FarmerJ, Wibby, CC's Bro-in-Law? (CRAP!! I'm drawing a blank on the name!!)

Mrs. Skipro will not be around after Friday. She's heading to San Diego for wedding stuff, so we guys will have the house to ourselves. She said we'd have clean sheets and bath towels as well as a stocked fridge. All dancing girls must be gone by Monday morning though. Her words.

O.K. That's it for an update for now.
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Bike prep?

I thought I'd bring some gas...............

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Update:
It's all good news so don't worry about waiting for the shoe to drop.

1. Date is set for Carvr and m0rie to be here on the 19th, 20th, 21st and leaving on the 22nd.

2. I've tested the trails, even the closed ones. (read report further down) They are in good shape, meaning that no one's trying to turn them into paved freeways in the name of safety, or closing them for any reason either. Not that they could for me and anyone who is riding with mee. (again, read report further down).

3. Mrs. Skipro will be leaving the morning of the 20th to spend some time in San Diego with family. She's the world's greatest cook, but at least now we can sit around in our underwear, drink beer, fart and scratch ourselves WITHOUT having to apologize. (Except to the dancing girls, but they never seem to mind in the first place)

4. A new member here will be joining us: nation. He lives less than an 1 1/2 hours from me and his parents live right in Georgetown where the Rock Creek/Mace Mill/Bald Mt. riding areas are.

5. I've been a busy little bee this winter since riding hasn't been possible due to snow. Green sticker money is being raped from the Rock Creek riding area. They have not received ANY for the last 3 years. Trails designated RED (means they must be closed within 6 months if not restored) have been flagged. While on a volunteer work party with the forest service on the trails, we discussed the problem with the top ranger. WE MADE HUGE PROGRESS!!!!!
One of the biggest problems we have with maintaining trails is the lack of funds. So we move to volunteers. Problem with this is; most folks can only volunteer on weekends, volunteers need a federal supervisor in order to work on trails, (safety rules, correctness of work activiites, access to tools, etc), the federal supervisors, AKA rangers, don't get paid overtime (no greensticker money), etc.... So, a few of us asked the top ranger if we could somehow get some volunteers certified to become supervisors. He looked into it and we hit paydirt. After many, many weekends of training; first aid, CPR, Job Hazard Analysis, Sawyer certification training, trail maintenance training by federal trail engineers, etc, I, along with 5 other dirtbike riders, are now certified by the federal government.

Yesterday we accomplished something big. Yesterday the Georgetown/Rock Creek Trail Maintenance Volunteer Supervisor program is officially under way with about 9 of us being USFS certified Sawyers and 6 of us completing the USFS Civil Engineer led trail maintenace training program. Now we, the designated and trained trail maintenance volunteer supervisors can do pre-season trail assesments, (read as; we can ride the trails when they are offically closed to the rest of the world.) remove and chainsaw down trees, and lead groups of volunteers to do regular trail maintenance and repair work year round all without requiring USFS personal to be assigned, there by adding tremendous flexibilty to the program and increasing the probable total amount of trail repair work done each year at the Georgetown trail system by ten fold.

As supervisors, we will schedule work parties, have access to the riding areas when closed to assess and perform work, (clear downed trees, drain standing water, etc.) have access to tools and safety equipment, and document the hours of work performed by the volunteers. The best part about the documentation of the hours is; the feds will compensate the ranger district for the volunteer labor at an extremely generous hourly rate.

Some of the ranger district staff are now able to apply for grants under this program as well. The civll engineer has already gotten a bull dozer and Washington DC has sent out a young ranger with a masters degree on a fellowship for 2 years to work on the El Dorado National Forest. Part of his task will now be supporting the recreational enhancement for the off road riding system.
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's great Jerry!

You are truely an asset to our sport! :prayer:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Inda,
I might be calling on your expertice. We want to set up a user forum so we can co-ordinate the work assignments and priorities. I'd like to Admin with the other 5 supervisors as Moderators. I want to make some areas blocked to all viewers but those I appoint; admins, USFS personel, etc. and others for anyone to view but also have everyone register before even able to view so I can screen them. We have our enemys as you know. No use tipping the hand when we get into action.

I'm going to start a new thread here so my friends at KDXrider can offer suggestions and tips.

Thanks for your support and encouragement. You have inspired me with the work you have done and continue to do.

BTW, I have discovered that Thumpertalk.com is a great place to meet loacal riders if anyone out there is having troubles finding someone to ride with. The guys on there local to me are an awesome group of guys. Most have been banned at one time or another from other sites..... kinda like some of us!! Ha!! They are passionate about the sport and the environment.

After all my training I have discovered that I am an environmentalist and that most people who call themselves environmentalists aren't. They are self serving, hogs who don't want to share what belongs to everyone by extreme subversive tactics. More about that some other time though.

Now, lets go riding!! Less than 4 weeks before we make some great memories and storys to share with the rest of you who won't be able to make it this year.
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'll help ya Jer...

I can get it all setup (or at least going... you add content)
Ping me in a PM and tell me what you want.

Maybe name a trail after me! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I set up a free service message board here:

http://www.voy.com/203788/

Now that I have you involved with this, Inda, be advised that any work you do is tax deductable including travel to and from your home to the trails you would be working on. HA!! A trip out here would now be a tax write-off. No joke, the District 36 Legal beagle of the AMA told us to keep track of mileage for tax purposes.

As far as a "REAL" forum such as we have here with the various topics, titles, graphics and such. I'm clueless. How would I even begin to put something like this site together when I get stuck with BART BUTTS all over the place or have trouble posting a photo in the gallery. Ha!!! But if you want to help me with all that, and set something up that looks sorta professional and business-like; you know, something the USFS, the USDA, and the anti-factions wil take as a serious endevor, that would be great. Better than great, it would be worth naming a trail after you. The biggest baddest trail we can find. A double black diamond, a trail with no return. The begining would have a sign reading, "Abandon all hope, all ye who enter Indawoods"
Jerry

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Here's what the Legals at D36 posted:

Trail Tip! Remember, your mileage to and from a "volunteer" work day in our National Forests or on BLM Public Land, those miles are "TAX DEDUCTIBLE."
Log in your start and finish files, total it up, date it, and list with anything on paper that proves you were there. With fuel at $3.00 a gallon Plus, this helps you offset those costs. The forest where you do this USER maintenance also can claim a "credit" for the TOTAL hours of all the volunteers that do trail maintenance work when they supply this information to the OHV division when they submit a Grant to the OHV Disvision for things like Maintenance, Law Enforcement, etc. A WIN-WIN for all parties involved.
Let LAO know what you do, and the hours you put in. This will assist D36 in showing a "community effort" by D36 so I can show emphasis about the work the hard working folks do to assist. It is OUR forest too...............
Good job everybody! Keep up the good work, and take that deduction!
Dave Pickett D36 L A O
Jerry