Memorial Day Holiday 2006

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Memorial Day Holiday 2006

Post by skipro3 »

It's never too early to start planning, so here's what I know:

Anyone wanting to ride the west coast, I'm planning on riding at least two major OHV areas here: Rock Creek; AKA Georgetown, Mace Mill, Bald Mountain AND Elkins Flat. Other areas to be considered based on time, weather and interest are: Stonyford, Fouts Springs, Cow Mountain, Elk Mountain, Clear Creek, Middle Creek, Moon Rocks, Yearington (Desert riding in Nevada), Pine Nuts (also in Nevada) and perhaps Hangtown or Bennington Ridge.

I also want to head up to Oregon and ride Johns Peak area if the weather permits (snow, yaknow). If that doesn't work, then head down to Arizona and ride with the boys around Pheniox. (Are you game to host a few of us?)

I doubt anything in Idaho, Utah or Colorado would be open that early, but if anyone from that area is interested in hosting a traveling circius of KDX riders, then just say so.

So far, I've heard from Trev as a for sure. So, as the first to commit, he has first dibs on the KX or the KDX (my decision of course) to ride. I can't promise any other bikes available, but Doug may have a second bike by then too.

For lodging, there is a motel within 7 miles of my place to stay, my house itself which can fit many if they are not picky on sharing the floor with the mutts, (There's two spare bedrooms and Trev has claim for one. I just don't know the dates he's planning on being here yet.) A driveway to handle RV's if you travel in one a those. A large deck if the weather is nice for sleeping out on, Heck, I've even had guys come out and rent a popup tent trailer and set it up in the driveway when the house got too crowded. (That was winter when the boy would come home from college with his "cast of thousands" as I call his many friends. )

Weather here around that time:
By Memorial Day weekend, the rain has stopped. Rag tops come off the cars by that date, but not before. Night time temps are around 55 or 60 degrees with daytime at the house around 75 to 80. Mountain riding areas can be below freezing in the AM and warm up to 70's during the day, but typically in the 60's. That sounds cold, but it isn't with the humidity levels as low as they are here.

Let me know of any questions you may have. My home is welcome and open to anyone showing up with a KDX as I'm pretty sure they will treat my things as good or better than their own, and for as long as they what to hang around. I can take as much time off work as I wish and I'm planning on at least two weeks. Wether I take it all or not depends on if anyone shows up to ride. I can always go skiing if y'all wimp out. Ha!!!

Things to do besides riding dirtbikes:
1. Visit Lake Tahoe. (absolutely a must for the sceanery and the gambling!!)
2. Yosemite. It's about a 4 hour drive and the spring waterfalls are outragous.
3. San Francisco. The golden gate bridge, and about a zillion other landmarks to visit there. I hate the place, it's sin city and I don't know when God is going to cast it into the ocean, but it'll be soon.
4. Skiing. Free ski lesson to anyone wanting to give it a try. I do not promise that you will remain injury free. If you like dirtbikeing, you will love skiing. Imagine a fast downhill but without a 200+lb bike to manage. Just you and a couple of boards. Oh yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. My boat. I have a 24ft pontoon boat outfitted for fishing. This is a serious fishing machine. I guarentee fish will be caught. I can practically guarentee limits within 2 hours. (I'm that good, yes)
6. As I think of them, I'll add them.

As time gets closer, perhaps we can arrange rendevous in Arizona and Oregon with some of the folks who may not want to come all the way out my direction. Weather will be the deciding factor on the whens and wheres.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Thats a mighty fine list Ski - If I can swing it, i'm in!

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

You are one of the stops on the tour m0rie. Better tell your wife to prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner for about 20 of your closest friends!

Joke!!

Hook up with CC and come down, or hook up with me on my way up there during that window of opporunity.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

As you say...a bit early to tell..but as far as Johns Peak goes and anyone up here during that timeframe..count me in.

'In' as far as a place to toss a sleeping bag and basic facilities. 'Basic' meaning we'll just might feed you, but you won't be ordering off a menu: No, 'NY steak and eggs-over medium, a couple'a biscuits and, oh...a quart of ruby red grapefruit juice, please? ..and MORE COFFEE!!'

If you're riding Johns Peak and new to the State of Jefferson, you're wasting your time if you don't: 1.Know the area or 2. Have a guide.

At least count me in on the #2 part.

I don't know how long that subvalve-port-eyebrow-pierced Aussie will be around, but probably not long enough to ride ALL those places!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Strong coffee, 3 eggs over medium, 2 pieces of toast (not cut) 6 pieces of crispy bacon, crispy hash browns with onion, biscuits and gravy......Now that's breakfast! :supz:

Better to make the ride simple instead of 10 different places proly.... I'd have to sleep 3 days before I left or else I'd never make it home. :shock: :lol:

Riding the desert would be cool... just not dunes. Don't have a paddle tire and don't really plan to buy one. Sand is hell on bearings anyhow.... :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Prospect is hell on bearings, and there ain't no sand for miles!!

I never know which way is North up there, unless the stars are out and I kin see the Big Dipper.

Gee...just think...Australian folks don't get to see the Big Dipper... :cry:

Sand=Couch anyway...........

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Strong coffee, 3 eggs over medium, 2 pieces of toast (not cut) 6 pieces of crispy bacon, crispy hash browns with onion, biscuits and gravy......Now that's breakfast! :supz:

Better to make the ride simple instead of 10 different places proly.... I'd have to sleep 3 days before I left or else I'd never make it home. :shock: :lol:

Riding the desert would be cool... just not dunes. Don't have a paddle tire and don't really plan to buy one. Sand is hell on bearings anyhow.... :mrgreen:
Vince: is that first breakfast or 2nd breakfast? (Lord of the Rings line plagerized)

The ride will be simple, I'm sure. I figure that if folks can't all make a specific date, then I'll just have to be available for a window of time, say two weeks, and I don't want to ride the same place for two weeks.

Also, if you are hauling your sorry butt and even sorryer KDX all the way out here, you best get in as much riding as your wife and/or boss will permit. Streach the limit guys. Herre's your chance.

Sleep? I tossed in some non-riding sightseeing sidetrips for all you wimps, what more do you want??? Ha!!!! The fishing boat has a couch that makes out into a bed for anyone wanting to re-charge thier batteries. An alpine lake, warm sun and sore muscles from riding the days before are just fine to get rested up for a long drive home, where ever that may be.

Sidenote: I came out to California on a business trip, was bored on a weekend stayover and saw an ad from Bank of America Visa for a ski lesson package that included equipment, lesson and lift ticket. I took the lesson, went back to my home and quit my job the next week. I had a wife and a 2 week old son. It's better to be unemployed in California than working anywhere else. We have great welfare here!!! Just don't tell them about the KDX. Ha!!!

But seriously; I will be available at least two weeks for anyone wanting to come out but can't swing any one particular date. Heck, stay the whole two weeks too. I don't think we or the bikes would survive riding every day, but lots to do.
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Well as it stands we are probably looking at a 2 week stay. The other half is now contemplating a week in Hawaii to get married and honeymoon. Vegas is out by the looks of it. All those Elvis comments may have actually worked. :supz:

Re: the big dipper...
But, but we got the southern cross, so there. :razz: I just want to see your loo's flush the wrong way. :lol: :rolleyes:

Oh did I mention I'm EXCITED !!!!! :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Uh....the loos don't do that......so much for being excited I suppose. Sorry.

Although, it might be hard to tell...having only one eye and all.... :wink:

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If you are interested in a trip to Hawaii (Maui in particular) I can help you out there. I go frequently and just set my brother and his wife up with a week stay in October. Roundtrip airfare, lodging and rental car for two was total of $1044. I don't know about the May/June season; it may be a bit higher in price, but not much. It's cheap from California to Hawaii to fly; hence the low faires. Check out http://www.suntrips.com and check rates from Sacramento or Oakland to the islands.

Have you thought about Hawaii as a layover from Australia? That may work as well.
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Thanks for that info, I will check it out. I think having the wedding prior to riding would be the smart choice. I doubt the other half would be too impressed if I got an injury. The Hawaii stopover may just be the ticket. The fewer amount of times I've gotta convince her to get on a plane, the better !! The biggest threat to ending this dream prematurely is getting Mel on a plane. Wish me luck !!!

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Kaui has a deal for dirtbiking I've been meaning to try sometime: All day on a KTM for $300 and it's guided.
Jerry