Regional Rides

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Regional Rides

Post by Varmint »

I just had a thought. Let's start setting up some regional group rides. Not just one ride a year that's 1000 miles away. Let's do a North East ride, Mid-East Ride (Maryland-Carolina's), South East, Mid West, Northwest Ride, Cali-Ride, Canada Ride, .. you get the idea.

Someone start the thread here and just do it! :supz: Bring the KDX, camping gear, beers, whatever... just get together and ride the green bikes. Of course, non-green bikes can participate. Take pics and vids and share. I like it! :boogie: :partyman:
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Regional Rides

Post by rbates9 »

:partyman:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Regional Rides

Post by Julien D »

Sounds like a great idea to me. Would be an easier way to get some of us together more frequently. I'm in NC, lots of good riding areas nearby.
Cha Ching

Regional Rides

Post by Cha Ching »

Great idea! I think we have at least 3 here from Ga. or very close. I am in NE Ga.

Southeast ride sounds awesome!! :rock:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Regional Rides

Post by rbates9 »

Varmint,

You don't seem too far away for a get together at some point. What places would you have in mind? I think there is some other KDXRIDER members from southern NY also.

Up around me would be about a 3-3.5 hour drive for you so maybe some place in MA?
sped66
Supporting Member

Regional Rides

Post by sped66 »

Cha Ching wrote: Southeast ride sounds awesome!!
I'd be down for that. I've yet to check out Brushy Mtn or Brown Mtn in NC? Both are definately on the "to-do" list. Any good spots in SC?
I've been to DP in GA once & it was hella fun, but roughly a 9 hour drive from southern VA if I recall. I could see going back for a special ocassion weekend though.
RedNeck Riders Unite!! :rock:
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Regional Rides

Post by Julien D »

sped66 wrote:
I'd be down for that. I've yet to check out Brushy Mtn or Brown Mtn in NC? Both are definately on the "to-do" list. Any good spots in SC?
I've been to DP in GA once & it was hella fun, but roughly a 9 hour drive from southern VA if I recall. I could see going back for a special ocassion weekend though.
We will no longer be known as hillbilly rednecks. We shall henceforth be referred to as "Appalachian-Americans". :lol:

Brushy and Brown are my regular spots. Also Callalantee in Mountain City, TN. Brushy is by far my favorite, although there is lots of fun to be had at Brown as well. I've been wanting to check out Carolina Adventure World in SC.
Cha Ching

Regional Rides

Post by Cha Ching »

I have been to DP once, i had a good time. Their trails are not nearly as difficult as what i learned on, but still fun. I like lots of elevation, something DP is lacking. I haven't ridden out of state yet, but i am down. :supz:

I hear "The Ridge" just north of Birmingham, Al. is supposed to be sweet...But anywhere in the southeast is cool with me. Let's do it!! :bravo:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Regional Rides

Post by Julien D »

On the same note, who's in travel distance of Coal Creek, TN? I went out there a couple years ago to spend a weekend riding with a buddy. Halfway through the first day his KTM blew the bottom end, and we packed it in. I've been wanting to go back, the trails were a really nice mix of single track and wide open fire roads. It seemed pretty well regulated and passes were affordable. We were only able to cover a very small amount of the trail system, so I'm not sure what the rest is like. I'd sure like to find out!
sped66
Supporting Member

Regional Rides

Post by sped66 »

"Appalachian-Americans".... I kinda like the sound of that. I smell some gov't entitlements coming my way! :lol: I have a friend that's keen on trying Brown Mtn, so I'll let you know when we plan to ride there & maybe you can join us Julien. As for me, I'm dying to try Brushy out so that'd get my vote for a SE regional ride. I could do a day trip but would rather take the tent & make a weekend of it. Coal Creek, TN? Close enough for a regional ride for yours truly. Getting vacation days in advance isn't a problem for me.
Cha Ching wrote:I like lots of elevation, something DP is lacking. I haven't ridden out of state yet, but i am down.
DP is flat land for sure. Still, it really is dirtbike Disneyland when you factor in all of the different stuff they have. If you like elevation you should definately head north or west.

Say, if you guys ever want to experience a more or less private course without a lot of traffic, I'm a member of Rivers Edge Outdoors which has THE most challenging singletrack in these parts. Everyone says "If you can ride here, you can ride anywhere." I can hook us up with primitive camping on site or bachelor pad accomodations at my place 50 minutes from the trails. At around a 20 mile course it might lack the mileage for a regional get together imo, but well worth the trip if you're within 2 or 3 hours drive & want a gnarly singletrack experience.
I found a video if you're remotely interested. (It's not one of mine.) Lengthy vid but you can skip around to see the nature of the terrain & course layout.
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
Cha Ching

Regional Rides

Post by Cha Ching »

Unfortunately, for me, Rivers Edge is over 6 hours.

I have heard nothing but good stuff about Coal Creek, i think it's about 1/2 that distance.

Brushy Mtn looks to be about 4 hours for me, that's doable.

Vacation days shouldn't be a problem for me.

:supz: :boogie:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Regional Rides

Post by Jeb »

Varmint, great idea to bring up regional rides.

I'd love to go north for some riding. Is there any good riding in, say, PA? Would it be a reasonable drive for the CT/NY gang?

It just dawned on me that "Coal Creek" is one of the OMA Winter National race venues my son participated in last winter (Oliver Springs, TN). They had an Endurocross section that was pretty wild, I'll post some pictures! That's actually no further, maybe even a tad closer, than Hatfield & McCoy so we would definitely be interested. Definitely post if you guys make arrangements.

Sped66, I love the idea of riding with you guys at River's Edge. I'm actually a little familiar with that general location because I've been in AltaVista (for work, not for riding) probably 1/2 dozen times. It is a hike, but one way that could work for me is bring the whole family down to Wytheville for a long weekend to visit old friends (we lived there years ago) and maybe take a day to ride with you guys. Yes, I know, sort of conniving but . . . whatever it takes!

Jim
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
sped66
Supporting Member

Regional Rides

Post by sped66 »

Jeb wrote:Sped66, I love the idea of riding with you guys at River's Edge.
Just let me know & we'll do it! I can ride there anytime, not just weekends. The only exceptions are during hunting season.
sped66
Supporting Member

Regional Rides

Post by sped66 »

Cha Ching wrote:Unfortunately, for me, Rivers Edge is over 6 hours.
I'm not suggesting a regional get together there. Was just letting the closer guys know about it. :wink:
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Regional Rides

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Julien D wrote:
sped66 wrote:
We will no longer be known as hillbilly rednecks. We shall henceforth be referred to as "". :lol:

Brushy and Brown are my regular spots. Also Callalantee in Mountain City, TN. Brushy is by far my favorite, although there is lots of fun to be had at Brown as well. I've been wanting to check out Carolina Adventure World in SC.
New Sticker: I am Appalachian-American. I want a tax break!
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Regional Rides

Post by David_L6 »

Anyone here from Louisiana, Texas, or Arkansas? (I'm in northwest Louisiana)
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Regional Rides

Post by KDX Butterfly »

I would like a midwest point. It might make it easier to actually hook up with some of the riders.

WVA is too far, especially with the price of gas. We might consider St. Joe's in MO, but not sure how the hubby would feel about that. He is real good at speaking for himself. :grin:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly