Riding out west just became easier!!!

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Riding out west just became easier!!!

Post by skipro3 »

Well, I won an auction on eBay for a 2002 KX250. It will take me some time to go through it; grease, KIPS, etc but when it's done, I plan on using it as a loaner bike. (Or maybe my KDX will be the loaner?!) Anyway, I hope to encourage anyone wanting to ride out west to consider stopping in to see me. I'd feel bad just having the bike sit around without anyone enjoying it. Here's a link to the eBay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWN%3AIT

As you can see, it will need some work, but not much!!!!!!! I'm pretty sure that the frame can be repaired by a competent machinist. I have a great old family friend who owns his own business that I have just recently became re-aquainted with. I haven't seen him since my wedding over 30 years ago and he owns a shop less than 5 miles from me!!!! Cosidering how deep in the woods I live, that's pretty amazing.

Any suggestions on the frame from the photos will be appreciated so start sending me your ideas. To me, it looks like a bit of reshaping and weld reinforcing is all that would be required.

Also, anyone with any items that they would like to toss on to the loaner bike would be put to good use. Perhaps a chain or sprocket that didn't meet the owner's needs but is too good to just toss. Some brush guards that were replaced by shiney new ones but still are functional would be another idea.

Most guys prefer their own riding gear, but I have all the basic stuff spared out here at my home: Extras such as:
Chest protector
pants
jersey
elbow guards
knee guards
gloves
boots (size 9 1/2)
No extra helmet though. That needs to fit correctly. So just pack your helmet and perhaps some boots, hop a plane and you are riding California!! Or maybe a road trip to see Brad and Wib, Farmerj, m0rie, etc....

BTW, I just bought new bling for the bike:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :EOAB:US:6
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Jason asked me what caused the damage and if anything else is damaged. The seller told me it came down hard on the front wheel with the wheel taking most of the impact. It has a new wheel and tire, new forks, new triple clamps, new bars, etc...... Seems it was loaned out when it happened so the guy replaced all the parts through his homeowner's insureance. No one noticed the frame issue until the paint started to crack. Then they got scared at replacing the frame since the insureance was already settled.

I hope to drive down to meet him Friday evening or Saturday morning. He said in the auction that he'd drive 100 miles to meet me so that will save me about 3 or 4 hours off the round trip.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Since you already have a bike to ride, just buy a frame off eBay, then swap all the parts over. You can paint the new frame before you put all the parts in, and it will be ready to go. While you wait for one to show up on eBay, you will have time to check out the top end, clean, grease and inspect everything.

Those bikes have some great frame guards!

Good purchase and good luck!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

It has a new wheel and tire, new forks, new triple clamps, new bars, etc......
Unbelievable!!!

Good deal on the graphics/seat kit too!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I agree Fuzzy. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller now on a meet so I can get my new bike!!!!!!!
Jerry

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'll be meeting the seller this Saturday. Hope all goes well.
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

What a deal!!

I wondered about an other mentioned 'loaner bike' for Inda's chain...I thought Doug was involved!

:wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Re: Riding out west just became easier!!!

Post by KDXer »

skipro3 wrote: So just pack your helmet and perhaps some boots, hop a plane and you are riding California!! Or maybe a road trip to see Brad and Wib, Farmerj, m0rie, etc....
No worries !! I've just been lookin into flights and theres one on Friday at 11am which will get me there at about (Trev wake up) ummm about 5pm on (Trev !! WAKE UP !!) UHH, HUH ? snort what ? Oh don't tell me I was dreaming again ?!? DOH !!!

Seriously though I wish I could afford a holiday. I'm flat out trying to save for a pair of glasses and my RB carb. Ahhh hopefully one day.... Good for you Jerry, I hope you enjoy tinkering and riding it. Best of luck with the repairs, I hope all goes well. :grin:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

As good a deal as this sounds, my wife doesn't seem to feel the same way about another bike like I do. When I explained how much a savings this was compared to the new vacuum cleaner I bought her, she really took it the wrong way. Go figger. :roll:

Anyway, she said that since the bike would be used by visiting friends, she'd be extremely interested in meeting you all!! (Then for some strange reason, she took to the garage and has been practicing starting the chainsaw.) I suggested it must be her time of month, and left for work. That was this morning. I think I'll give her a call to see what's for dinner tonight!!!
Jerry

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Prolly get a nice plate of spooge. :mrgreen:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

canyncarvr wrote: This is a jack of a hijack...but..Inda: You and the rest of the middle of the country guys that like woods riding...you guys gotta come out here and spend a week. Bring your bike and some gas...we'll feed you....give you a place to throw a sleeping bag..and maybe even throw in some MediQuick for your sure to be monkeyed butt!! I'll guarantee the rides of your life (given that you're pretty much used to riding 'fly-over' country anyway). Get-r done! :wink:
I just did a check today on SoutWest Airlines website for "someone" who hangs out here and found that Labor Day Weekend can be had from Birminham AL to Sacramento, CA Leaving Thursday afternoon Sept. 1st and returning Tuesday morning for about $226 round trip.
Maybe not this Labor Day for you, Inda, due to injuries, but next year? I'll have the KX250 ready by this Labor Day weekend if anyone else out there is tempted.
CC, will you be available this upcomming Labor Day weekend? I've got my calendar marked.

Also, the next weekend, Sept.11th, is this event:
http://www.ama-d36.org/Raceinfo/2005EndR06Flyer.pdf
It's desert riding at it's finest; fast and technical thrown in together! Unusual for an Enduro in my district and this is the first year they are running it!!
Jerry

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Damn, Ski! Don't be encroaching on our lowly KY trip w/ all this enticement!!! :mrgreen:

That being said, I'm sure that KX will get it's ass ridden off!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Fuzz:
Same time from Chicago is $168 roundtrip
$226 from Indianapolis, IN
$226 from Kansas City, MO
$226 from Louisville, KY
$226 from Nashville, TN
$198 from Norfolk, VA
$206 from Orlando, FL
$148 from Phoenix, AZ
$231 from Raliegh/Durham, NC

ETC, ETC, ETC........

So set out a change jar and collect your loose change. By next Labor Day, you too could be out here on the loaner bike!!!
Jerry

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I could afford it, but we have a KY ride planned in the 'rides' section. You would break inda's heart!

Anyone within 8.5hrs(my drive) of LBL MUST make it. That being said, maybe we should plan on going westerly in '06. Or just take turns making weekend trips on the KX in '06? I vote for Inda and I slapping all our crap into my enclosed and heading out there next year... :supz:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Now that would be awesome!! I'm sure a few guys on KDX's would be found standing alongside the road with a thumb out!!!

Update on KX250:
I talked to the seller this morning and he is going to drive up to Sacramento with my bike!!! We were supposed to meet tomorrow, (Saturday) but he has some surfing competition in Ventura that same day and got nervous about meeting me and making the event. So I asked if he wanted to earn some extra cash and drive to Sac with the bike and meet me. He said sure. I let him tell me how much he'd do it for and he came up with $200. My gas would have been real close to $100 and then add about 5.5 hours each way; 11 hours round trip, for my driving. For an extra $100, I get to go riding in the morning! I just drove to San Diego round trip last weekend, so I'm not too hot on a road trip anyway. (560 miles each way with about 50 miles going through L.A.)
So, Tuesday we meet and I will receive the KX.
Jerry

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Rock on! :supz: Gotta love surfers! Especially those who have tanked their KX! :mrgreen:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'm game!
When is the best time so I can plan around it? :grin:

I'm not going to get altitude sickness am I? :sad:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Labor Day weekend!!! (Your not doing anything that weekend, are you?) That is if I get the KX in shape for riding and CC is game for more houseguests. I'm betting he's out riding this weekend and that's why I haven't heard from him.

And of course you will get sick. What elevation do you live at now?

I just got back from riding Elkins Flat again. It isn't.............flat that is. Staging area is at 5500 feet and we climbed to about 6500 feet. Very rocky area, but for once I didn't crash!!!! 43 miles took just a hair over 5 hours. It's technical, I think I carried that damn KDX half the way!!! I sure wish I'd a had a camera. some windfalls were just too big to ride over; up to 4 foot diameter logs. Doug used to mark trails for enduros in this area about 10 years ago. He kept remembering trails that hadn't been used in many years. The only way I could tell any trail had ever been there was the occasional ribbon hanging from a tree still. Man, I'm tired!!!
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Next year Ski..... Memorial Day weekend maybe?

I live at about 600ft. :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I'm at less than 100. :rolleyes: 6500ft :shock: I not sure I've even been that high in a plane, no wonder you get ill.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."