Riding out west just became easier!!!

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Sounds like a plan forming there Inda. KDXRider Western States Memorial Day Ride.

Trev: Most ski resorts base elevations are around 7200 to 7500 feet out here in California. Top of the mountain is usually around 10,000 to 10,500 feet. Higher than that is accessed by hiking the rest to the peaks. If you smoke, it will hit you hard to ski or ride mountains. I gave it up this year and I'm really doing much better with both sports now. Skiing is harder for short bursts compared to riding, but riding is a real continuous workout for hours on end without much break in the action.

To train for altitude riding, wear a bag over your head. (No, not a plastic bag, a paper bag. Cut eye holes in it and wear it watching TV in the evenings. Also, practice just holding your breath. I do that while driving. Breath control is good for almost any sport.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What does a lazy smoker from the midwest do? :partyman:

Do they sell oxygen tanks for the occasional high altitude rider? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

10,000+ft. We haven't even got anywhere that high over here I don't think.
skipro3 wrote:To train for altitude riding, wear a bag over your head. (No, not a plastic bag, a paper bag.
Ohhhhh, my other half must be training me for high altitude sex, cool.... :rolleyes:
skipro3 wrote:Also, practice just holding your breath.
When I asked the other half if I could go for a ride with you guys, she told me not to hold my breath. Well which one is it ?? I'm confused... :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

KAY DEE EXER wrote:
When I asked the other half if I could go for a ride with you guys, she told me not to hold my breath. Well which one is it ?? I'm confused... :lol:

AAHH HA HA!! LOL!! :lol:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Trev... spending all that dough on the Mods... I think you need to come over and pick them up say....around our next Memorial Day? Sound good? Ski's got a nice KX250 for ya to ride! :partyman:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I'm working on it..... :grin:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
clutchcover
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by clutchcover »

Had a buddy visit from Missouri, originally from here in Idaho. He's been away for about 4 years. Took him to about 8500 feet, and he was wheezing like an asmatic smoker. He couldn't believe he'd lost his high altitude breathing abilities in just a couple years. I told him there was only a few thousand more feet to go, he turned and started back down the mountain. You still making it this way to Idaho this summer ski? Don't know if I'll be able to travel anywhere far this year, my work situation is changing, and I'm not quite sure what's going on this year. Maybe I'll be able to make it to a kdx get together this spring. :partyman:
97 Kdx200
Summuda goodies.... But not quite enough.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Well I mentioned Memorial Day and the better half said "You can look into it if you like"... WTF ???

Wooooooohoooooooo !!! :partyman:

The better half would be coming with me BUT the problem is, she is terrified of flying. :sad: If I can get her over that then I am almost guaranteed to meet you lot finally. Wish me luck. Anyone know of any good phsyciatrists or some good drugs ?? :rolleyes: :lol:

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

BTW how far is Vegas ?? The other half gave me the ultimatum "If we go over for your ride etc, then we have to go and get married in Vegas".... Know any good honeymoon (cough riding cough) spots near Vegas ?? :lol:

Small price to pay I reckon !!! :partyman:

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Ya know, it's just as easy to get divorced in Las Vegas as get married. Britney Spears did it. Was married for 3 days while in Vegas.
Vegas is only about, oh, 10 hour drive through some of the most beautiful country in the USA. Flight from Sacramento is about $100 round trip. Also, Hawaiian Islands are about $250 round trip from here. I go to Maui every other year because it is so cheap to fly there. Lots of riding out that way(Vegas) years ago when I lived in San Bernadino. There used to be a race call the Barstow to Vegas Hare and Hound. What a ride!!!!

Terrified of flying?!? Go watch some re-runs of a show called "The A Team" One of the characters, Mr. T, a large black man with a mohawk hair cut and tons of gold jewlry around his neck, was terrified of flying. Almost every episode the team needed to fly and they had to trick him into it. "I pity the fool..........."
My wife said you guys could stay here. She'd like to have a talk with your girl about marrage to a dirt bike rider BEFORE the Vegas leg of your trip. She said they could talk while we are out riding. That's NOT a good thing.

If you do make it out here Trev, I can loan you one of my cars. I've got a 1994 Mazda Navajo that works pretty good. I need to get the air conditioning going again, but it runs fine and is very clean. You could save the money from a rental for a bigger ring for the little woman or a RB carb.

Idaho riding: I'm trying to talk Doug into going AND I'm trying to find room on my calender. If not this year, then next for sure. What's the best time of year to plan a trip up there?

This KX250 is going to be tricked out boys. I haven't even picked it up yet and so far I've got new:
Graphics / seatcover
Spark Arrester
Frame guards
Top End gasket kit
carbon fiber rear brake guard
carbon fiber fork guards
carbon fiber case guard for chain breakage
half vent front # plate
Devol skid guard
18" rear rim to replace the 19" unit
CR style SS braided brake line
I'm banking on the bearings all around on the bike are in good shape and I won't need to replace any of that. Seeing as how it's coming from Victorville; average annual rainfall of about 3 inches or so, I don't think rust will be a problem.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

BTW, here's a listing of the stuff I just bought off eBay.
I can't believe the Carbon Fiber stuff was so cheap!!! Especially the fork guards. The same ones I bought for my KDX were $50. These were $16.51.

eBay Listing #: 2482093114
Description: One Ind. Vented Front # Plate White Kawasaki KX 125-250
Price: $24.95
Seller Tracking Info... Sale ID: 19661 PN: NPV-KW100-WH

eBay Listing #: 4563924726
Description: DSP Carbon Fiber Case Saver Kawasaki KX250 All NOS
Price: $3.95
Seller Tracking Info... Sale ID: 19646 PN: 27-3572

eBay Listing #: 4563924745
Description: DSP Carbon Fiber Lower Fork Guards Kawasaki KX '94-'02
Price: $16.51
Seller Tracking Info... Sale ID: 19647 PN: 27-3557

eBay Listing #: 4563924771
Description: DSP Carbon Fiber Rear Caliper Guard Kawasaki KX All NOS
Price: $5.95
Seller Tracking Info... Sale ID: 19648 PN: 27-3550
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Well this trip is definately on the cards. I'm excited already. I cannot express my gratitude for all of your kind gestures and offers Jerry. I only hope I can get some roo 'n wombat stew through customs as a thank you gift. Oh thats right you like widgety grubs too, I'll smuggle some over in my boogie board bag. :rolleyes:

On a side note when is Memorial Day this year ?? 29th May ?? How long is the holiday break ??

Oh and would those fork guards work on my 03's, anyone ??

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Memorial Day weekend is the last weekend in May and includes the Monday to make it a 3 day weekend. It is traditionally the start of the summer vacation season, with most schools out and families hitting the highways for traveling.
Let me know how much time you want to spend: I have room for staying here and even that old 4x4 I mentioned if you want something to drive around.
We will have to make a trip to Oregon and visit CC or have him come down.
Also, if the winter snows were heavy, some of the higher country could still be under a blanket of the white stuff. It sure is a pretty time of year to be in California though. Yosemite water falls are at their best and it's a 4 hour drive from my house. It's really fun on the streetbike.
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Cheers Jerry. I really don't know how I'd go driving on the 'wrong' side of the road though. :lol: Besides that I would get lost fer shore..... I / we appreciate you very kind offers.

Keep in mind I have never seen snow and I think if it contacted my sun parched skin it would instantly freeze it. My last ride I was staying in minus 3 degrees celcius weather in a tent and swore to never punish myself again. Did I mention I aint a cold weather person. :) Can we plan a relatively 'low' / 'warm' ride for the cold blooded, acrophobic aussie wuss, please ?? :mrgreen:

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

KAY DEE EXER wrote:Keep in mind I have never seen snow and I think if it contacted my sun parched skin it would instantly freeze it. My last ride I was staying in minus 3 degrees celcius weather in a tent and swore to never punish myself again. Did I mention I aint a cold weather person. :) Can we plan a relatively 'low' / 'warm' ride for the cold blooded, acrophobic aussie wuss, please ?? :mrgreen:
Put on more clothing you wuss! :mrgreen: Seriously though there shouldn't be much of a problem with finding some place warm to ride around the Memorial Day holidays. Come over the pond already!

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

And the midwest wusses? :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

clutchcover
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by clutchcover »

Ski, most trails are open may 15-nov 15. Riding is best in spring or fall. As long as it's cool, the riding is good. A lot of the good trails aren't passable until the snow melts, usually 99% by early june. Usually a freak snowstorm or two in October, but that dries up quick and keeps the dust down. September is a good month as is late may/june.
97 Kdx200
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Did y'all here that? We've all been invited to clutch's place for Memorial Day holiday!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(No Joke) :shock: :shock: :shock:
Jerry

clutchcover
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by clutchcover »

As long as you all don't eat all my Capin' Crunch in the morning, and No One tries to crawl into my bed after having a nightmare, I don't see why not. Maybe we can even drag ol' Idaho Charley down. He's only an hour or so away I think.
97 Kdx200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I don't care for the mouth danglin's I get when eating a whole box anyway!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****