Riding out west just became easier!!!

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I've picked up several different Thumpers from the ground...and I've picked my KDX up from the ground (way too often :rolleyes: ). To be honest (with the exception of the XR650) they all feel the same to me.

What I noticed about the KLX I rode, was that it felt more top heavy than my KDX while riding. After getting use to it...I no longer noticed until I got back on the KDX. The YZ250 feels like this to me too. The ergos make it more like sitting on top than being down in the bike. Just my experience.

There are two things about 4 strokes that bother me way more than the weight (I could lose about 15 lbs before I start worrying about bike weight. ha ha): Keep in mind that these bother ME! There is no statistical evidence to support my opinions. :wink:

1st is the sound...I find it hard to watch MX without the ring a ding ding. Same thing on the trail. Something about the 2 stroke sound that gets my blood pumping. The 4 strokes sound just reminds me of the 4 wheelers that have a tendency to ruin the ST :cry: .

2nd is the power delivery. Don't get me wrong. The 4T have boatloads of power. It's just different than the 2T. I'll ride a 2T until they come house to house and take them :butthead: . Even then I'll probably put up a fight! :lol:

For long dual sport rides, I think I would prefer the power delivery of a 4T. Plus, they are much easier to mooch fuel from your buddies or fuel at a station without having to worry about mixtures and oil choices. :mrgreen:

It would be nice to have a thumper in the stable. Dang it, now how am I going to find the funds for a 4th bike? The KLX would make a great loaner/second bike. The ergos are very similar to the KDX and they are very rider friendly.

Good luck in your search Vince. :partyman:
Last edited by quailchaser on 02:14 pm Aug 07 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Woo hoo !! :supz:
Don't forget the KLX forks dont have rebound so add a few $$ for some KX forks aswell. :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Already added! :supz:

If I'm haulin' two bikes in the truck...they gotta somewhat match!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Hey who said you could advertise them other sites on here ?? :shock:

Oh, you did. :oops: :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

O.K. The first photos of Project KX Woodsbike is up in my gallery in a sub album of the same name.

The damage to the frame was not a crack or break. Somehow the upper bearing race hole was elongaged as if someone squished a donut. The race would slide forward and back within the opening for the race in the frame. The race wasn't damaged. I heated it with an acetaline tourch and then wacked on it with a 5 lb sledge hammer with the race as the anvil inside to reshape the frame around it. When done shaping, I heated it red hot and then cooled it quick with a hose to temper the metal. As you can see, the race is a tight fit. I don't think the metal shrunk so much from heating a cooling as to make the race hard to remove someday, but it's my intention to not let maintenance get that far behind that the race would ever need replacement.
More in my blog on other progress.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Nice job !! :supz: