2012 Vincent H Memorial Ride - H&M Trail preference

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...

2012 VHM RIDE

Poll ended at 05:14 pm Jul 07 2011

Rockhouse Trail System
83%
Bearwallow Trail System
No votes
Indian Ridge Trail System
17%

Total votes: 6

TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

2012 Vincent H Memorial Ride - H&M Trail preference

Post by TWMOODY »

For those thinking of attending the 2012 VHM Ride here are
some trail descriptions.

Rock house Trail System
The Rockhouse Trail System is located between the towns of Man and Gilbert, consists of 89.3 miles of trail. Rockhouse has one trailhead located just outside the town of Man, WV with a two-acre parking area and restrooms. Rockhouse has the largest total mileage of any of the six Hatfield-McCoy Trail Systems and offers a wide variety of trails for all difficulty levels. The breakdown in trail percentages for this trail system is as follows: 47.3 miles or 53% are green trails (easiest), 19.7 miles or 22% blue (more difficult), 10.9 miles or 12% black (most difficult), 4.3 miles or 5% red/black trails (extremely difficult), and 7.1 or 8% orange (single track only).

The Bearwallow Trail System located near the town of Logan consists of approximately 67 total miles of trail. The Bearwallow Trail has one Trailhead with a two-acre parking area and restrooms. Bearwallow is one of the more popular trail systems of the Hatfield-McCoy Trails and is commonly known for its difficult single track and most difficult level trails. The breakdown in trail percentages for this trail system is as follows: 14.7 miles or 22% are green trails (easiest), 29.7 miles or 44% blue trails (more difficult), 11.2 miles or 19% black trails (most difficult), 1.9 miles or 3% red/black (extreme difficult), and 8.2 miles or 12% orange trails (single track only). This trail system has **** LOADS OF SHARP ROCKS
that will Eff up your tires and rims!
Had to add that.... :lol:

Indian Ridge Trail System
The Indian Ridge Trail System is the newest addition to the Hatfield-McCoy Trails and is located near Ashland, WV. Indian Ridge consists of approximately 63 miles of trail. This Trail System also has a trail connector that links to the Pinnacle Creek Trail System. Trail visitors can ride legally with direct trail access on the connector between the Indian Ridge and Pinnacle Creek Trail. The Indian Ridge Trail System has one trailhead with a two-acre parking area and restrooms. This trail offers a nice variety of trails for all difficulty levels. The breakdown in trail percentage for this trail system is as follows: 18 miles or 30% are green trails (easiest), 25.5 miles 41% blue (more difficult), 12.7 miles or 20% black (most difficult), .5 miles or 1% red/black (extremely difficult), and 5.6 miles or 8% are orange trails (single track).
For those of us from the North this will add on 1 1/2 hours of drive time
:wah:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'm definitely going to do my best to make this ride. I rode Indian Ridge last time I was up at H&M, and it was great, but not so much that I want to go right back there. I have heard about Rock House from all my riding buddies, and that's where I planned to go next. So Rock House gets my vote this go-round. Of course, the location is not a deciding factor for me. Wherever it ends up being, I will be doing everything I can to make sure I'm there.
KDXFronz

Post by KDXFronz »

Any thoughts on Buffalo Mountain - I rode there in April, it was wet but we had a blast.
Info from the website:
The Buffalo Mountain Trail System located between Williamson, Delbarton, and Matewan, West Virginia, consists of 86.3 total miles of trail. The Buffalo Mountain Trail System has two Trailheads with a two-acre parking area and restrooms. The first is located just south of Williamson, and the second is located in historic Matewan. The Buffalo Mountain Trail is commonly known as the most historic trail of all the Hatfield-McCoy systems. Buffalo Mountain also has the most single track mileage of any Hatfield-McCoy Trail System.The breakdown in trail mileage on the Buffalo Trail System is as follows: 47.2 miles or 55% are green trails (easiest), 13.5 miles or 16% are blue trails (more difficult), 7.1 miles or 8% are black trails (most difficult), 1.5 miles or 1% are red/black (extreme difficult),and 17 miles or 20% are orange trails (single track only). This trail system has direct access to the cities of Matewan, Delbarton, and Williamson, WV. Each of these towns offer fuel, full service food, and lodging services.
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

I chose Rockhouse just because. But either way, are we planning on moving the ride to June? Early, Mid, or Late?
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

17 miles of single track on buffalo mountain????

I think early-mid june would be ideal...
jth

Post by jth »

My vote Buffalo Mountain. I have been to all the HM trail heads but Indian Ridge and Pinnacle Creek. Buffalo really stands out.
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

My experience with Buffalo Mountain was that it was OK. The trails numbered in the 90s were rocky, steep, and challenging enough, but short. It didn't have a lot of single track AND a lot of wide fire roads. It was cool to ride into KY and eat at a Taco Bell though!

My vote is IR and PC. Two systems I haven't ridden yet :)
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX