Rode Chadwick Missouri Last Weekend.

Reviews of riding areas...
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Rode Chadwick Missouri Last Weekend.

Post by jafo »

Well I finally made it to Chadwick. It's alittle over 3 hours away, but was well worth the trip. It is alot different terrain than I'm used to. Not a whole lot of mud, mostly just rock. I learned alot about my bike this weekend and my riding ability. I'd have to say that other than my one crash that was very painful, I think I've picked up my riding ability. I feel I actually got better after this ride. This riding area is actually in the Mark Twain National Forest in Southern Missouri. Just Southeast Of Springfield. Great place to ride.

Jon.
dirtykdx

Post by dirtykdx »

Hey, I just thought I might add some things.

Welcome to one of the best riding areas period. I'm a huge fan of tight technical trails and there are definitely many of those to find there. For the more novice to the Colorado like conditions (rock, stair steps, loose rocks) then there are many wider trails where you can really get the feel for the conditions and learn how your bike will react.

For anyone seeking decent camping facilities: They have really been improving the amenities at Chadwick for the last few years. There are new camp spots at Cobb Ridge that have pit toilets, water, pull through camping, fire rings, picnic tables) Overall pretty decent area.

When getting readied for the trails of Chadwick you'll want a few things. First a skid plate, recreation unlimited has a good one. Second, bark bisters (get maiers, don't skimp for tusks or similar cheap ones...they are just that, cheap and WILL break after a single off). Third, you'll want to have personal protection on: knee pads, elbow pads, chest protector, helmet, boots, the usual. But, you will also want to have yourself some water, especially this time of year, as well as a map if you are just learning the place or have been riding there for years, its not a bad idea to keep it with, some trails can get you turned around.

With all that gear you can be pretty confident that any off will be one you can get up from unscathed. Loose rocks are really a test of balance in the slow, and recover ability in speed. Throttle control is important as it can save you, your bike, and your tires from pain. Most trails except for the most difficult ones are very well kept and marked with pretty good visibility. I suggest looking at the map and determining a loop before taking off, that can keep you from getting lost -- or delayed as I like to call it.

This is really the best place in the Kansas/Missouri area for serious trail riders that have more than probably 6 months of riding under their belt. Don't try the black diamond trails unless you know what you can handle. If you don't think you can handle what lies ahead you can always find another path out of there. Most of the difficult stuff will be in the 126 area and you may want to opt for the blue square ones until you build up the confidence and skill for the difficult ones.

As always never ride alone and don't push yourself drastically beyond your abilities...only to the point where you are force to become a better rider.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sounds GREAT! I'm gonna hafta plan another trip before the end-o-year! :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Rod Smith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rod Smith »

Just a quick note on Chadwick. We rode it last weekend and yes it was 105 when we left Saturday Afternoon. The heat kept the crowds away though. Some trail work was done this year which included dropping a large amount of river rock on some of the trails. This was due to help the trail erosion there caused mostly by guess what ATVs. Please remind anyone you see riding there to please stay on designated trails. As was stated above this is truly an awesome riding area and I would like to see it stay that way.
2000 KDX 220
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Good point Rod. :supz: When I went the last time a few eeks back. Some of the trails I was on were begining to show signs of deterioration. Yes, from ATV's. Unfortunatley I'm learning that ATV's seem to be abit more popular around here. How did I arrive at this conclusion? 1. I see alot more of them out when I ride than bikes most of the time, 2. just check out the magazine stand. There is hardly any dirtbike magazines that I can find, but a but load of different ATV magazines. They set out what sells, and they must sell more ATV mags. than dirtbike mags. I can honestly not fine one single copy if "Dirt Bike" mag. anywhere around here, not one on a news stand or convenient store. When I was a kid before all the ATV's there was always a plentiful supply of bike magazines. Not now. I'm affraid were becoming out numbered. Thats my feeling.

But getting back to the point, the ATV's are starting to take a toll on Chadwick. I've seen it first hand, as you probably have seen it when you went. I did get alittle justification on my ride. Me and a buddy finally made it up one of the climbing hill and we heard these ATV's trying to go up also. I had twisted my knee and was seated on log until I decided to go watch these fools try to come up the hill. I no sooner than got to my feet when I heard one of thier engines rev and then heard a distinked sound of plastic on rock, sliding and sliding then I seen the top of this tree that was close to the bottom of the hill dramaticaly shake. The ATV's slid and tumbled some 20 feet and then hit a tree at the bottom. The guy was scraped alittle and his pride was crushed. But he was ok. Can't say as much for the ATV though. :roll:

I don't have any answers for ATV's. I feel eventually if we ever loose our riding areas, it will be mostly due to thier 4 wheels tearing up trails. It forces us bike guys to go around where there is'nt a trail and form a new one when were not really suppose to. Thats what will get us. There is really no way to stop it, were just all along for the ride unfortunatley. Best thing avice I can offer is to find maybe an off road bike club, and join. I don't know of any around here so I gues rod buddy were S.O.L. :mad:

I would like to let you know that I contacted the AMA for help on getting a new riding area closer to us Rod. They directed me to an individual that is a rep of an ATV organization. Nice hugh? So I get to work with someone who in my reguards are the ones causing all the trouble. But I had to forge ahead. They are talking about an area near the KCI airport. I have to contact someone there and see when the next meeting is so I can attend. If your interested, let me know and your more than welcome to come and set in on this. We need to show that there is ample people to support such an area. I thought I'd let you know, so let me know if your interested. I'll contact this guy this comming week. I'd like to go see this site and find out what it's about and what it looks like.

Jon.
Rod Smith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rod Smith »

The area by the airport you are talking about is the old Tiffany Springs area. Those talks have been going on for awhile so maybe something good will come out of it. Also at one time the State of Missouri was looking at the lowland between 50 and Blue Ridge off of I-470 as a possible site. If you hear of any meetings I would gladly attend and help with whatever I can.
2000 KDX 220
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thanks Rod. I'll let you know. Maybe we can bring up this other area your refering to also. Who knows, they both might happen. Also if you have any riding buddies that could contribute, bring them along also. I'd like to outnumber the ATV guys. I think that would speak volumes without any words. :wink: Thats what I'm going to do myself. I have several riding buddies I hope will come and help out. We need to show them there is interest, at least from the two wheel community.

Jon.