Draper Black Trial

Reviews of riding areas...
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Draper Black Trial

Post by jc7622 »

Just did the new Draper Black Trail yesterday and I was pretty pooped at the end. It is definately the most challenging trail at Draper. Putting in 30 miles on the green trail and blue trail first proabaly didn't help. By the end of the day we had put in 50+ miles of single track.

The first half wasn't that bad. It was a lot like the red trail before they opened it up to quads. The second half was pretty tough. We came to the warning sing for "Rebecca's Woods" and it made it sound pretty tough. They gave you a "last chance short cut" option there. Rebecca's Woods didin't really look tough, but it was really tight and most of it was done at a walking pace. There were a LOT of log crossings, both man-placed and natural. We were happy to get out of that section.

After we got through that mess we got into a section where the trail takes you into every hole (ravine, gully, canyon, creek bottom) they could find. Most of them would quickly change directions at the bottom or half way down and then would be followed by a near vertical climb out of the hole. Things changed so quickly that you really couldn't see what was coming next.

There were three adults and two KX65's. The other two adults took the last short cut out and the two minis and I continued. These two little 65 riders are pretty good riders and really rode tough. I only had to help them through a few spots. Right as we got off the black trail one of them ran out of gas so I pulled him about two miles until the other 65 ran out of gas. I rode back to the truck and filled two water bottles with fuel so that we could all make it back.

I can't wait to try it again, only this time I will do it first while I am still fresh.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I am like you; give me the tough stuff while my body is still strong!! Actually, I prefer about 30 minutes of warm up riding to get the hand and arm pump out of the way. Then the tough stuff followed by some easy cruise trails.

Good ride report but.... where are the photos?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I'll get some pics the next time I'm there. Maybe in the mean time I can pirate a few pics others have posted on local forums.
dirt kid

Post by dirt kid »

I know a guy that RAN OVER his riding buddy on the black trail!
He broke 3 of his buddy's ribs! :shock:
04 KDX200, bone stock
06 RM250
03 KX125, KDX hybrid in the making.
I don't adjust valves if I can help it.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Dirtkidd,

I think one of the OCCRA officials broke his leg on the Black Trail last week.

Did you see this vid yet from Anadarko? Pretty cool. Did you do the long course this time? It was a fun course.

dirt kid

Post by dirt kid »

I didn't do long course this time, but from here on out, I'm going to try the long course on saturdays and consider racing it. I'm 14, so 2008 is my last year for the short course. :shock:
04 KDX200, bone stock
06 RM250
03 KX125, KDX hybrid in the making.
I don't adjust valves if I can help it.