South Fork Dirt Riders in Taylorville, Illinois

Reviews of riding areas...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

South Fork Dirt Riders in Taylorville, Illinois

Post by Indawoods »

Showers, bike wash, large parking area, concessions, parts and more. This place has come a long way since I first started going here a few years back. They have camping available for no charge but this is primative at best. They have a MX track that LOOKS nice but I have never ridden it, my focus is on the harescramble course and the bottom lands that this place offers. They say they have over 200+ acres but I can eat that up real quick. I think they are exaggerating or they have land that is not usesble. Anyway.... I love riding the bottoms because it changes everytime the bywaters cover the area and then receeds. It is always different and you better have some soft terrain tire when you run those trails or you will go nowhere. Nice mud bogs that are a challenge but I come out better that the 4 wheelers through those. Yes... they allow 4 wheelers in but they are easy to stay away from on the single track areas. It's worth riding there but you must have a $11 DNR sticker (which they will hook you up with) since they are State funded plus you must pay $12 a day. All and all... I think it is cheap enjoyment for $12! Bring your own refreshments if you happen to think about it since a small bottle of water is $1 a piece.

http://www.southforkdirtriders.com/
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
magaffer

Post by magaffer »

I was wondering if this place would be worth the ride from the chicago suburbs. About a 3 hour drive.

If not...

I will probably got to Fox Valley Off Road/Buffalo Range/or Rocky Glen(Rockford). All are about 90min. from me. I will be ridding with my 15 yr. old son.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks, Kevin
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Depends on what you are looking for. I love it myself and I will be there all weekend from Thursday on....

If you like a natural obstical hare scramble track it's great. It's bottom land if you know what that is. They also have a MX track, a flat track and a kid's MX track.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
magaffer

Post by magaffer »

Sounds good. If we do go it will not be until sun.

The Ridding areas I mentioned don't seem to have enough land to have a decent amount of trails, more track based.

We went to St. Joes over spring break, so needless to say we are spoiled. I am sure that there are better places to ride but for us beginners that place was great.

Thanks again for the quick response.