(LBL) Land Between the Lakes at Kentucky

Reviews of riding areas...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

(LBL) Land Between the Lakes at Kentucky

Post by Indawoods »

Fuzzy and I had the opportunity to visit LBL on last Labor Day. We took 5 days to explore the place. At first impression we really didn't think much of it but as you start riding and get back into the trails, we discovered this was a great place to ride and test you skills.
Wide open fast trails on the beaten paths that are shared with 4 wheelers, Jeeps, beginners of all ages. You can really go fast in these areas but must be very careful to not run over youngins' or plow a Jeep! Once you get off the main trails you can really have a lot of fun climbing technical hills and weaving through the tight trails. One word of advise if you plan to visit LBL is, go when you know no one else will be there. This will increase your enjoyment of the trails there. I would really like to go during the normal work week to fly on the main trails because of the fantastic berms and jumps... not to mention the hills with jumps in the middle of them. You could really get that adrenaline rush!!!!!
The trail system is extensive and you will always find something you enjoy to do there. The Park staff are friendly but firm on the rules so mind you P's a Q's. The soil is clay based and pretty sticky but there are areas that have a rock base and you must be careful because rocks hurt... don't ask how I know.

http://www.lbl.org/OHVTrails.html

TURKEY BAY OHV AREA
OPEN YEAR-ROUND
Basic Camping $8.00 per night
(multiple night discount available)
OHV PERMITS:
Annual Permit $45.00 (Valid 4/1/04 through 3/31/05.)
7-Day Permit $25.00 (Valid for 7 consecutive days from date of purchase.)
1- to 3-Day Permit $15.00 (Valid for 3 consecutive days from date of purchase.)
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I concur...This place was sweet! It would be nice if they had better camping facilities, but (dare I say) most dirt-folk will just trash it. We had a nice time camping about 15mins south of Turkey Bay as an alternative--would do it again!!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I am thinking of planning a trip to LBL in the spring. I recently put a new S/A on and am trying to convince my brothers but the website says that there is no public drinking did that extend to the campgrounds and were there any other campgrounds that you can ride to the trails from? I would like to have a base to work out of. I have been to Haspins Acres and that place is wild, too wild at times but haven't camped anywhere else. What do they have there for campers, pota-potties, showers, places to get just essentials like ice or can you get to town pretty easily?
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

We stayed just south at another federal camping facility right on the lake. Couldn't ride to turkey bay, but we had my conversion van, and enclosed trailer which made for a nice home base when at the riding facility.

Spring sounds good. I just replaced my old conversion van with a suburban, and I can get four bikes in my 6X12 along with a full toolbox, workbench, generator, air compressor, fuel, keg of beer, etc. :mrgreen: I'll pick you up on the way down to Inda's then we'll continue on to LBL...
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Let me know when you are going maybe we can caravan or meet up, it will be my first time there :oops: . I will have to try to narrow it down with my bros when would be best. I live like 12 miles from FRP so if you ever are around here let me know. I usually go to Attica but am always open to new places. I have been trying to get to The Cliffs or Fox Valley for a while but I just got a S/A for my bike and with the Ryan construction the Mapquest way would take forever. They are all about 70 or 80 miles from my house. So maybe in the spring I will try those. I went to Attica Wed and it was awsome, the place was deserted and they have alot of new land. But don't bring the keg, :supz: yet
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Cool.....Well have to hit up Attica next year too. Never been, and it will be cool to have someone who has been to show us around...
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Sounds good. They just added allot of new land that used to be offlimits. They have campground that you can ride to from if you camp. I live like an hour away from there straight down 41. I am not one of these guys to ride 50 miles or anything like that, 20 to 30 is all my ass can go, but I could show you around. I don't know how NW of Chicago you are but have you been to Fox Valley or The Cliffs yet? I have been meaning to check them out any advice?
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I live in Bartlett...

I've been to neither...
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I read about them on atvpathfinder, com they got allot of decent reviews I know they are more orientated to 4-wheelers but it gave me a bunch of leads on riding spots. They both have websites so you should check them out at thecliffsinsaneterrain.com or foxvalleyoffroad.com. I had never heard of either until recently but they sound interesting.
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Rod Smith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rod Smith »

Fox Valley is more of a track site than a trail riding site. Same story with Buffalo Rock Range also close to Ottawa, IL. I prefer Buffalo to Fox Valley but would rather ride more trails.
2000 KDX 220
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind.
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER