Attention Missourians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviews of riding areas...
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Attention Missourians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by jafo »

I contacted the AMA to help me out on trying to get a large new riding area near the Kansas City area. They directed me to an individual and he is puting me in contact with another man that is trying to do this very same thing. This is already been in the works for a short time now. But time is of the essence here. I would like to invite any of you to any meetings we will be having on this proposed ridng area. I have to contact this gentleman this comming week to find out when his next meeting will be. When I find out more, I will post the meeting time and place here on this board with Indi's blessings. That be ok Indi? So far this is not an AMA issue yet but soon may be. They have asked me to help form a Community Council for around the Kansas City Area. So with Indi's blessing I will post the meeting time and place here on the board on this topic.

Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Update, Indi gave his blessing to post meeting times here. So I thank you very much Indi! :prayer: I'm kind of excited about this, can't get totaly excited because I have'nt seen the proposed riding area, it's size for sure, or if it will even happen.

The AMA sent me a great handbook on trail building. It's kind of the concervative way but alot of it makes sense and falls in line with thier tread lightly policy. I have to go through this book and be ready for this meeting and then apply this knowledge to the park. It'll be fun and I'm sure challenging at times but in the end will be worth the effort.

My only concern is four wheelers. I have to tread lightly in this area of conversation. Why? Because some of the key players are ATV guys. They have lead the charge for this so far. I'd like to try to get enough bike riders to attend these meeting to express our side of things but in a diplomatic way. I don't want us bike guys looking like a bunch of whiners and bitchers even though we would have lagit gripes, we have to be careful of what we say because if they here to many negatives, they probably won't go though with this park. But I would sure like to out number the ATV guys at these meetings. I think that presence would silently send a message to the ATV guys that there are bike riders who care and not to screw it up for everyone. I'm not saying all ATV guys are bad, theres some good guys out there. It's the ones who do not want to abide by the riding rules and generaly want to just cause trouble.

I seen a couple of those kind tonight on the way home from my parents. There is an area that has'nt been developed yet right of a state highway in town. It's always been a local for off roaders, jeeps and all the others until the last few years. It used to be if a cop seen a truck parked down on the side road, he'd go down and wait on them to return. But these guys did something I have'nt seen anyone else do before. The climbed a large hill up to the highway, got on the shoulder of the highway and both of them hauld butt down the shoulder back to the access road. They were hitting at least 35 mph or more. No helmets, no saftey gear at all. You talk about stupid. These are the ones we don't need. They are the ones that get riding areas closed down. Saddly, they will come out and tear things up, just to get muddy and act like fools, all the while tearing up a good riding area. Very sad.

Anyways, I called him over the weekend and left a message on his buisness message recorder and hopefuly he will return my call. When he does, I'll post everything here.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I hate couch riders! 'cept CC! :lol:

The way they tear up the land makes me want to puke! And there is more of them than us.... just kills me.... :? How can we exclude them from the woods and make them ride on roads and desert areas? I wish you luck on not blowing a gasket in the meetings.... I have on more than one occasion.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Indawoods wrote:I wish you luck on not blowing a gasket in the meetings.... I have on more than one occasion.... :wink:
You shoulda tried coppercoat. :lol: Sorry...

:prayer: Way to go Jon. I wish you the best of luck.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

jafo, the ones that show up at the meeting mostly won't be the ones that are going to cause trouble. If they won't even buy a helmet, boots, etc., they won't put enough effort into it to help create a trail system, they just destroy.

Good luck!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Yeh I know guys. It's gonna be hard. I guarentee I'll be there wanting to bring things up about ATV's but can't for taking the chance of damaging the chance to get this riding area. Maybe, if this goes through and becomes reality, they will see what the ATV'sdo to a managed site and will keep them out after they damage the trails.

Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Well I got ahold of the guy thats kind of leading the charge today. We talked for a few minutes and he let me know just what they were striving for. It's not all good but not all bad. He is trying to develop a riding area for everyone. ATV's, dirtbikes, trials bikes, rock crawlers, 4 wheel drivers ect. To me, I don't think 1200 acres will be enough room for all of this. Out of any of the above mentioned, trial bikes would do the less harm to the enviroment, but hey, who am I to say? :roll: I wish I could win the lottery and buy about 2500 acres and develope that just for us woodsriders. Of coarse members of this site would gain free entery. :supz: But I have'nt won a lottery, don't expect to anytime in my lifetime either. So we have to go along with things like this. From what he told me today, he's wanting to make this a pay to enter site, wants to get as much involvement from people in the county it's going to be in, which by the way is not my county. But he is puting me on the mailing list and is going to involve me in the meetings. He told me that he has some key county officials he has to contact to sert up a time to have a meeting with them, then will schedule a meeting with everyone else invovled. I mentioned that I had numerous riding buddies with plenty of trail riding experience that could help out with the planning stages of the trails. He did'nt realy give a response to that other than he would like to get some people from that county to show interest. I did'nt quite understand where he was comming from on that. But I'm going to hang in there for ahwile longer before I write back the AMA guy and grill him further on helping me out on a riding area somehwere south of K.C. maybe. I just think that trying to fit all these different aspects of off-roading into one small area is a mistake and will no doubt cause some fur to fly eventualy. I did'nt express that to him at the time but may in the future. I'll probably be asked to leave after the the first or second meeting. I have a hard time in keeping my mouth shut sometimes. So it's gonna be awhile before any meetings we can attend are scheduled and who they want invovled in the meetings. I'll keep you all posted.

Jon.