Southern Ohio

Reviews of riding areas...
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Southern Ohio

Post by KDXohio »

Anyone else from Ohio or northern KY? I'm 22 and unfortunately grew up in a city where about 3 kids in my highschool rode the other two were motorcross racers so I have my dad to ride with and my two little brothers 10 and 13 years old. Anyways we haven't gotten too far from home other than a couple trips to PA my dad and I made.

So here's where we hit on weekends

Happy hollows <----sold in 2012 likely never to re-open
Hidden springs
New vienna
Big maples farm

Anyone else from the area have any other places they like?
Last edited by KDXohio on 03:25 pm Jun 24 2017, edited 1 time in total.
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Braap0!0
Supporting Member

Re: Southeast Ohio

Post by Braap0!0 »

Wayne National park
Perry State forest
Briarcliff is local so it's convenient through the week
ktmguy27

Post by ktmguy27 »

Wayne Natl. Forrest in Nelsonville, Ohio is a GREAT place to ride! Tip: Buy the day pass and dont get caught without it... You could by the pass about 6 times over comparred to the fine !
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Southeast Ohio

Post by ICRage42 »

Theres also mines and meadows.

Theres a couple MX tracks here as well. We also have an indoor one now so you can rip it in the winter. No strokes tho however.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

kdxohio, you ask about southeast ohio but isn't miamisbug near Dayton which is southwest ohio? Haspin is due west of Miamisburg.
Me and a group of guys from Cincinnati, ride over at Haspin acres in southeast Indiana.

Different skill levels, different bikes, all ages.....Most of us are sportbike roadracers but a lot have dirt bike experience.

This was all bad...in a funny kinda way.
Energy47

Post by Energy47 »

ktmguy27 wrote:Wayne Natl. Forrest in Nelsonville, Ohio is a GREAT place to ride! Tip: Buy the day pass and dont get caught without it... You could by the pass about 6 times over comparred to the fine !
How strict is WNF about having a registered plate on your bike? Are they just concerned with buying the day pass?
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Energy47 wrote: 05:16 pm Feb 14 2016
ktmguy27 wrote:Wayne Natl. Forrest in Nelsonville, Ohio is a GREAT place to ride! Tip: Buy the day pass and dont get caught without it... You could by the pass about 6 times over comparred to the fine !
How strict is WNF about having a registered plate on your bike? Are they just concerned with buying the day pass?
Old topic but figured I'd clarify.
You don't need a plated bike for Wayne NF. If you have an off-road title, you can just get the 3 year off-road registration sticker from the Ohio BMV.
We have ridden there a dozen or more times per season, and have yet to ever see a ranger. We usually avoid Friday afternoons and Saturdays as they are busier, as well as the 1st 2 weekends after April 15th opening day. My coworker said a buddy of theirs got his un-titled bike confiscated by a ranger until he could provide some proof of ownership, so if you do get caught, it is not good...
Pay the $100 to get the title process started if you don't have one. Or the easier route on pre-1999 models, track down the previous owner back far enough that they can sign a sworn affidavit at the title office stating that thwy owned the bike since before 1999 off-road titling laws came into existence, and (before this visit) pay the BMV their $2.50 "out of state VIN inspection fee" for them to record the VIN # and the owner's info on a simple form to take to the title office. It's that simple. Then you pay a titling fee and a transfer fee and taxes.
Only catch is - the VIN of your bike cannot be on record anywhere as ever being titled in the past, so it's beneficial go do a paid VIN search or have law enforcement officers run the vin as a prospective buyer. Tell them you want fo check to see if it's stolen, and if it is in the system at all.

If it has been titled prior, you must go the $100 route through the title office which alsp requires a court appearance during daytime hours.
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Southern Ohio

Post by Chuck78 »

Oh, and the fines for getting caught without a registered bike or a Wayne trail permit ($20/weekend, $35/season now, no day passes anymore) is $50 to $100 depending on other things at the scene if you get caught.

Wayne is GREAT riding, I cant get enough if it...
Hatfield-McCoy in West Virginia is tge best riding in the east, 700 miles worth of trails of all levels!

Perry State Forest is free, no pass / permit needed, although you do need a registered bike technically.
A lot more mud holes in the trails there, a lot more (& legal) unofficial trails, and a lpt more difficult/rough/rutted climbs in areas vs a lot of Wayne, but both are good. Wayne is much bigger but with all the legal "user defined trails" at Perry, the 16 miles of trails is more than doubled, if not close to the official 75 miles of that segment of Wayne in the Nelsonville/Haydenville/New Straitsville vicinity.

There are 2 more Wayne riding areas near Ironton, Ohio as well. They don't quite stack up to the miles of Wayne -Athens Ranger Unit (Nelsonville - "Monday Creek Trail System") combined, but are a god change in scenery as well. The Dorr Run loop area of the Athens Ranger District Monday Creek Trail System, and the seperate Long Ridge sections are the best for bikes. Different terrain, Dorr is faster with lots of mild banked turns everywhere and very well maintained, very excellent rugged hills and terrain, Long Ridge is more natural terrain and some off camber stuff, and some pretty rugged twisting turning steep climbs on the official trails. Some can be pretty tough if its wet and slick. The ATV crowd mostly stays away from Long Ridge, citing that its not as fun for them.

The ATV crowd flocks to the Main Corridor trail, which is a long connector between the New Straitsville area trails and the Dorr Run area, so you get some long haul traffic at Dorr from the Main Corridor, as well as a fair amount of ATV action at Dorr, but there are so many loops and different trails inside of the Dorr loop that even on a busy day, it is seldom congested.

Great riding, hit me up anyone, any weekend you want a guide or company at Wayne. Or even Perry. I dont ger there as much but will more in 2019 when Wayne gets too dry and dusty (Perry is always more wet).
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Southern Ohio

Post by Chuck78 »

Anyone else from Ohio on here these days?
We're hoping to ride Wayne National Forest a good bit before December 15th end of season, and also have been heading down to Redbird Crest Kentucky down in Southeastern Kentucky quite a lot the past 2 years, and always looking for more excuses to go down there especially if other people can come down and ride that gnarly rocky stuff there with us. There's also a lot of fun to fast flowing sections at Redbird like Wayne National Forest, but a lot of challenging sections also, not as hard as expert level stuff like high numbered Hatfield McCoy singletracks at Buffalo Mountain and Rock House, we also like to ride those places as well, although some of it's a bit above my pay grade currently, working on that though!
Flight chance we might ride Wayne one day this weekend, possibly even go down to the Ironton Ohio area of Wayne National Forest, the Northern parts of those trails, I think it's called The Pine Creek Trail system? I think the Hanging Rock trail system is the one closer to the Ohio river and supposedly was a lot easier / mild.
The Nelsonville / bucktel / New Straitsville area trails are where it's at, especially on the Haydenville Nelsonville side, the Dorr Run Loop & vicinity, Purdum Loops, & singletracks at Long Ridge near Buchtel.
Perry State Forest has some really challenging single tracks if you know where to look for them, but the official Trails there mostly aren't very great. There are some fun Quarry areas in the back there that are a great time to play around on also.
Pike State Forest is the other really good one, not quite as good or big as Wayne National forest, but it's a good ride for about 4 or 6 hours worth.
Wellsville Ohio area trails are off the charts, they're closer to Pittsburgh than any city in Ohio other than Maybe youngstown, camp at the forbidden zone Campground and ride out of there, it's $20 per person per day to park, tent camping comes with that price I believe. They only own 186 acres, the rest of it is all ride at at your own risk, mostly owned by mining and logging companies but at least 1200 acres worth of riding area. Pros like Quinn Wentzel train there. Just type in Quinn Wentzel Wellsville on YouTube... They train for the TKO hard Enduro races there.

Give me a shout if anybody hits up any of those riding spots, especially if looking for company :cool:
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup