KIPS on E / SR models.

Got questions? We got answers....
moto_psycho

KIPS on E / SR models.

Post by moto_psycho »

Simple question, why do they normally break and what preventative measures do you guys normally take?

Thanks!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Lube them well and make sure the alignment is perfect when you put them in. Any play in the collar supporting the main rod on the RH side of the cylinder is BAD. That little collar is only held by one screw, and I found that making a plate to hold the entire circumference of the collar to be a major improvement in reliability. On mine, that collar was cocking out to one side, causing the rod to bind and strip the gears.

If there is too much play in the journals down in the cylinder for the subvalves, you can use a punch and hit it around 4 sides, closing it up a bit. If it becomes too tight though it would be necessary to drill it back out to fit the shaft. Pull everything at least once a year, clean, inspect, lube, and reassemble.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Loctite that little brass screw :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Doesn't help. Even with the screw totally seated and tight, the collar can still be pulled out a hair on the side that doesn't have a screw. If you hold the collar that way and move the rod by hand, you can feel it catching and binding in the gears.

of course, this situation could have been specific to a certain type of wear on my particular bike, but making the plate to hold the collar makes sense, and I haven't broken a valve since then. So far I'm setting a record for amount of time between kips breakage on my bike. :mrgreen:
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

did you take pictures of making this atall? or is it something that will become brutally apparent when i rip it to bits?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

pretty apparent, but I'd be happy to take a pic for you.
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

that would be rather tasty if you could! though obviously don't rip into your engine just for little old me ;) lol
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Nah, I left the plastic RH cover off so I could keep an eye on things. I also have another piece we made for the 91, so I can show you what it looks like. I took a dremel to the plastic cover so that it will fit over the plate.
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

lemme see lemme see haha! :roll:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Where the bikes sitting I can't really get a good shot. I gotta get it out of the garage tomorrow for some tinkering, so I'll snap a pic or two. It's not much to see, really. Piece of aluminum cut to the outline of the KIPS area on the RH side, with a hole drilled for the collar, and one for the set screw.