would you use gasket maker / permatex right stuff ?

Got questions? We got answers....
chadr
Supporting Member

would you use gasket maker / permatex right stuff ?

Post by chadr »

Would anyone use permatex right stuff or similar on the clutch cover and release cover?

http://www.permatex.com/brand_right_stuff.htm

I don't really want to wait on my next order from ronayers.com. Is there other gasket maker material I can pick up at the autoparts store that would be good?

I have stayed away from using gasket maker on my cars because the instructions for cure time, torque, etc. have been sort of vague. Now the permatex right stuff claim is that you put it on, and torque to standard specs immediately. No need to let it cure like all the other permatex sealers I seem to have collected over the years (for reasons I really don't remember).
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'd stay away from that crap

I've heard bad things about it. Like not being able to get parts apart again :wink:

Why not just use some rtv or get some gasket material and make your own?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

I use that permatex right stuff on all kinds of stuff and its awesome!

Its just a better made silicone than the autozone el cheapo crap and the price reflects it.

Theres no reason i can see why you couldnt use it and not get it apart.i prefer and use it on my sbf intakes on the front and rear and around the water ports never had one issue!its more expensive and holds up better than anything else ive used and doesnt dissolve in gas like regular rtv.
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

I always use hylomar / hermetite, just make certain you don't put too much on, not so bad in 2 stroke but 4 strokes there are some very narrow oil galleries that can become clogged very easily!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I would use the gasket but if I could not I would use Loctite 515. It is a sealant that will not harden except where it is clamped so what ever is squished to the inside will not set up and clog anything up. Also any sealant worth using will make it hard to get the parts back apart, there is not a lot to get ahold of the get the cover off the next time.
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

rubber mallet.
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

>|<>QBB<
Budget_89KDX wrote:I use that permatex right stuff on all kinds of stuff and its awesome!
I bought one of these tubes that goes into a caulking gun. Have used it on the kdx right side cover, kips cover, and clutch cover. Works great. Clean surfaces well, wipe with brake cleaner to remove and oily stuff, and just apply a small bead all the way around. Put the part on immediately and torque down. Put back in use immediately (oil, heat, etc).

I've removed the clutch cover a couple times and it does hold a bit. I had to use some leverage against the back of the plate to get it loose.

I used it where exhaust pipe enters the cylinder head too. I started the bike about 15 minutes after fitting the pipe back on and no leaks then or now.

One of the best features is how it self seals in the tube. Just squeeze out a 1/4" or so from the tip and let it dry. When you need to use again pull out the self formed plug.

I'd better put an end to this post before I sound like even more of a permatex salesman.
1989 KDX 200
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I have heard many recommend "The Right Stuff" for sealing case halves over on ADV. Personally, I have never used it so I don't know. All I do know is that I need to pick up some kind of sealer for when I split my cases here soon!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

Best stuff I've found for sealing "metal to metal" joints (i.e. no gasket) is Threebond 1104. I use it for sealing racing outboard lower units like the one pictured below.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Any of the threebond sealants are great. (Yamabond, Hondabond, etc) Permatex sealants are ok, I prefer to use the proper gasket anyway.
'00 KDX 220R