used engine?

Got questions? We got answers....
tydev95

used engine?

Post by tydev95 »

since my engine needs $350 to $400 in work, i'm considering a used e series engine on craigslist. the guy said he put in a new piston, and it has great compression. however, he has no way to show me that it runs. is there anything i should look out for? the engine is $250 with a carb and wiring.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

u gonna have to modify the H frame and get different pipe ...
what is wrong with your engine? top end? bottom end?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

IMHO the money spent on fixing what you have would be less than the headache of swapping to a different engine. Plus you will know for sure what you have. If you have an H and try to put an E engine in it there will be a lot of unexpected cost that will probably take you over what you would spend in the first place. If it is just the money, I would go with fixing what you have. If there is other reasons, go for it. I have never road an E bike but a lot of people like them better. But a lot of people have issues with the KIPS from what I have read.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

Same as I said on TT, plus have him show the reciepts for the new top end he says he put in it.
I still say you should spend the extra $100 or so and rebuild your motor, then you'll know you have a good one.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:IMHO the money spent on fixing what you have would be less than the headache of swapping to a different engine. Plus you will know for sure what you have. If you have an H and try to put an E engine in it there will be a lot of unexpected cost that will probably take you over what you would spend in the first place. If it is just the money, I would go with fixing what you have. If there is other reasons, go for it. I have never road an E bike but a lot of people like them better. But a lot of people have issues with the KIPS from what I have read.
His bike is a '93, motor he's looking at is a '94. Is that when they changed frames? Thought it was '95.
Last edited by OLHILLBILLY on 09:26 pm Jan 01 2011, edited 1 time in total.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
tydev95

Post by tydev95 »

my bike needs a top end, cylinder replate, and left powervalve. i'm fine with spending the extra $100 to fix the engine i have now, but i'm not really confident in putting it back together because this is the first dirt bike engine i've ever worked on. i really don't want to have something break and waste all of the money i put into it.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
OLHILLBILLY wrote:>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:IMHO the money spent on fixing what you have would be less than the headache of swapping to a different engine. Plus you will know for sure what you have. If you have an H and try to put an E engine in it there will be a lot of unexpected cost that will probably take you over what you would spend in the first place. If it is just the money, I would go with fixing what you have. If there is other reasons, go for it. I have never road an E bike but a lot of people like them better. But a lot of people have issues with the KIPS from what I have read.
His bike is a '93, motor he's looking at is a '94. Is that when they changed frames? Thought it was '95.
You are right it was 95. I was just going by the previous post saying it was going into an H frame. But still sticking with what you know is better than taking a chance on what you don't.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
tydev95 wrote:my bike needs a top end, cylinder replate, and left powervalve. i'm fine with spending the extra $100 to fix the engine i have now, but i'm not really confident in putting it back together because this is the first dirt bike engine i've ever worked on. i really don't want to have something break and waste all of the money i put into it.
There's nothing to it really, buying a used engine with unknown history could cost u a lot more than doing the top end yourself.
The only thing to watch out for is to support the kips actuator shaft when removing the cylinder, that's about it.
Everything is fairly straightforward with the manual and this website if u have any questions.
When u take it apart, take your time, take pictures and if u are not sure about anything let us know.
I did the 1st top end with this bike too, and it wasn't that bad at all.
:wink:
+ once u done it:
satisfaction to have it done yourself
piece of mind that it was done the RIGHT WAY.
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

True that....do it yourself. If you get in trouble post some pics here on KDXR and the guys will help you. PLUS.....what you don't know about that motor can hurt you. It could have half way stripped bolt holes, worn bearings, chipped gears, a clip missing, blah blah blah
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
tydev95

Post by tydev95 »

i went to look at the engine today, it was a p.o.s., the shaft that the shifter goes onto was twisted, it had the wrong spark plug forced into the head , all of the kips were broken, and the piston had chunks missing from it. and you should've seen the rest of the bike. it looked like someone ran it over a few times. but then again the guy had a ton of broken down bikes just sitting outside