KDX 200 in Aug Dirt Rider magazine.

Got questions? We got answers....
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KDX 200 in Aug Dirt Rider magazine.

Post by IdahoCharley »

KDX 200 had a short write-up in the new Aug Dirt Rider mag.

Not an evaluation or a test - really a mention with some strengths and weaknesses pointed out and a picture. Just thought you guys would be interested.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I just got that! Gonna hafta look 'er up!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Not too shabby. Two pictures!!!

Sure wish KDX would pay attention to sites like this and articles like that. Inda, maybe you should drop them a line? Bet they would sponser you. You don't need to post ads, this whole site is one big ad for Kawasaki KDX.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

My thoughts are if the 220 is gone from production, then positive input from existing owners and want-to-be owners indicating there is still a significant demand from riders for a KDX 200 may help keep it around another year or two.

I know that I had not looked at the KDXs for a number of years unitil my #3 boy was ready to make the jump from a TTR 125L to something bigger. The KDX bike's capabilities were noteworthy, KDX was proven to be a reliably ride, and it did not bust the bank. I'm sure many people are likely in this catagory
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Yep, count me in that category. Two years ago I wanted to get back into dirt biking, but given my family and job responsibilities I didn't know if I would stick with it, so I wanted a reasonably priced bike to test the waters. My problem was that I didn't have thousands of $$$ lying around, so I knew I would have to finance a new one. When I found out how reasonably priced a new KDX was, I jumped at one and I haven't regretted it one bit.

There is DEFINITELY a market for that bike; if not, they would have discontinued it long ago. Kawasaki isn't making the bike because they like it...they make it because they make money at it. It's all about the bottom line!

I wonder why my Dirt Rider arrives after everyone else's... :sad:
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for mentioning that IdahoCharley. I will look for it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The mag is printed in California I'm guessing and it takes longer to get to NC

I believe the primary buyers of the KDX are:
1. Returnees to dirtbikeing after taking a break to raise a family.
2. Dad's who want to find SOMETHING they can do with their kids that they can both relate to.
3. Youth riders looking to move up from the mini sized bike to a full sized bike but the family can't afford the other brands and junior is not skilled enough to ride those racehorses anyway.

That's a market place not met by any other bike out there.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It fits peoples' needs instead of some peoples' wants.

It's just a great "dirt bike" dirt bike.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Jason wrote:It fits peoples' needs instead of some peoples' wants.

It's just a great "dirt bike" dirt bike.
Jason just hit the nail on the head for me. I'd ride a newer bike if I could, but a KDX fits my needs (and budget :rolleyes: ) a whole easier than a bike payment each month would. Besides I learn something each time I go riding and get better to boot! And there is nothing quite as satisfying as taking a basket case and building it up piece by piece into something that runs well and can be relied upon time and time again.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Duke

Post by Duke »

"What they need versus what they want" serves as an preamble to my story once shared on another KDX forum. About 2 months ago, I had one of those rare treats where a rider gets a chance to test a few of the top sellers: 02 YZ250, and an 04 CR450F. The locale was a local natural terrain MX course. Granted, not the best lab for someone whose riding is 90% off road with about 10% track time, but you take what you get. Without boring you on the details, I found myself faster on the KDX then all the others. The reason is simple, my days of weekly jaunts to the dessert/woods/track are on a hiatus. New found responsibilities have curtailed my riding to about once a month. With those conditions set, that means I need a bike that is easy to ride and maintain. I cant deal with a bike where I am always fighting a steep learning curve because of its abrupt nature, nor do I want a bike that requires excessive maintenance. These are all strikes that in one way or another eliminate the aforementioned machines. Simple, cheap and with a few mods, offering enough performance that will keep my 47 skills in check, yet challenged, the KDX is for me more then enough. And as I said, I do make an occasional venture to the MX track. In so doing, I have always managed to reel in an MX bike or two while practicing. To serve as reinforcement, I once had a local MX rider pitted next to me at the track, who was about to comment on my bike. I thought he was about to ask why I was out there on a girls bike play bike. Instead he stated quite candidly that there were a lot of people, both racers and play riders, who would be better suited on a bike such as mine. Less is more he said . I would have to concur
cmot

Post by cmot »

Right on Duke, Too many people are afraid to say I ride or buy a KDX because
it has a playbike heritage. And they tend to buy bikes with more than what they can deal with. I see them all the time , they go very fast in a strait line past parked riders, then slow down when a bump or corner comes up.
Most the bikes I come across are only working at 70% effectivness anyway.
A lot % of trail riders ride with plugged filters, poorly jetted, blown bearing siezed suspensions anyway.
I find my KDX in modified form more than enough to get me around a track or trails very fast. :supz:
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Dirt Rider wrote: "The airbox is well prepared for nasty weather too."
What is that supposed to mean? :?

What... like most dirtbikes aren't?
Why did they feel they had to add that comment? Strange....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Some MX bikes have like the most minimal airbox imaginable. My brothers 94 RM 250 has no lid (not sure if thats stock but i'm pretty sure it is) and huge vents on the side. Certainly not seals like the KDX box is.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hmmm.... I guess that makes sense... My last modern dirtbike was the KTM 250 EXC and it was well sealed...and so was my Honda XL 350.... guess I'm outta the loop. :oops:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Both my 98 and 00 KTM air boxs were the worst. Neither one was sealed for water crossings due in large part to the side access tool free cover. Stream crossings at the level of the lowest point of my air box will allow water in. You can seal it up but then the "tool free" air filter removal goes byb-bye since you have to remove the seat and the real bit5h is then clipping the filter retainer/holder into position. I sealed them a couple of times with duct tape in the spring when I knew the streams were going to be deep, but it sure looks like crap when you have duct taped all the seams.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hmm. Thaks for sharing the info on that. I saw that feature on the "KTM Product Spotlight" during the GNCC races on OLN TV.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Side access air boxes (don't need to remove the seat to service) and side adjustable air vents are pretty standard for MX style bikes. My air box withstood a water crossing deep enough to completely cover the rear tire. I don't know how the little drain thingy on the bottom of the box kept water out though. Heck I don't even run a lid on my airbox and it didn't get any water in with that water crossing. :supz:
Jerry

wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

OK, snail mail finally made it to NC...I like the DR piece on the KDX. They were quite fair with it and I was surprised that they kept their bashing to a minimum. Why doesn't DR or Dirt Bike magazine do a hopup on the KDX to see how good it can be? Maybe position the piece as a budget woods racer? They hop up every other dirtbike, why not the KDX? All they would have to do is spend a few minutes reading this site to get started! :supz:
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I got to read the review in a buddies magazine. Kind of neutral in my opinion. I left feeling like the KDX is as we already knew, caught in the middle of "needs to be updated" but " they won't because of hurting sales". To me it's the working poor mans bike so to speak. I get the feeling that it will never be updated because it's already been passed over for off-road racing by the KX 250 by Kawasaki. The only update it'll get is it's discontinueance. It did'nt leave me feeling like I'd like to stick my chest out to be a proud owner. Instead it made me feel pretty cheap which pisses me off. It failed to mention how the front end could be fixed by updating with KX forks. I can't make any quotes from the article because I don't have the article here but this was the feeling I came away with after reading it.

Now my personal opinion and review on the KDX is it can master about anything the hotshot bikes can do. It can also be competetive I think. I will soon find out. It's very reliable with good maintanence wich is the case with most of the bigshot bikes. It's reliably awsome in tight trails and can hillclimb like a mountain goat. Did I mention the model name is just cooler than all the rest? The name just sounds awsome to me. It can be modified to match about any off-raod bike there is in my opinion also. So I'll find out just how good it is in real time this fall in a couple of races I'm planning on running. If it works out good I'll run the entire circuit next summer. I feel confident with this bike even though magazine reviews think otherwise. The KDX to me is a legitimate bike to be delt with when outfited correctly.

Jon.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Jon - You sound sold on the KDX. Isn't that all that matters?

I think the fact that a bike with 10 year old technology is considered to be a viable option for some semi-serious enduro riding or just a fun trail ride with friends is just plain amazing to me. Look at the discontinued XR 400 which came into existance in '96 and "died" in 04. It was only a viable alternative for most people in enduros for what: 2-3 years - life span of 8 years. (Still not a bad trail ride IMO)

I do agree it would be interesting to see a KDX 200 with the standard mods and some decent jetting compared to some of the current trendy stock.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine